d72hemi

Information for Singer 46K38

I am looking for information on the Singer 46K38 from 1948.  All I could find is the below link that states it is for "turned slipper work" up to 1000 stitches per minute, but the brochure looks to be from a 3rd party, not Singer.  ISMAC does not even list the 46K38.  I am looking to primarily use it for making light fur and leather gloves, but it would be a bonus if it could be used to make medium or heavy weight work gloves as well. Any input is welcome, as I am new to this type of work/hobby. 

The good news is that it works and is complete with a table, light, 400V motor (German 2 phase) and is only an hour drive from me. The bad news is I don't have 400V in my work area and will have to get a new motor if the current motor is not 230/400V compatible.

Thanks in advance. 

http://www.industrialsewmachine.com/46k38.htm

Think people are quoting about $150 for a new servo motor if that helps

3 hours ago, chrisash said:

Think people are quoting about $150 for a new servo motor if that helps

Thanks.  The real kicker is that I only need a 220V 50hz motor for 2 years before I go back to the US, hopefully, UT.  The good news is that I have found a number of used cheap motors out here. The really good news is that most of the motors I found are 220/400V, so hopefully, the motor with the 46K38 is also 220/400V and just needs a jumper moved and a new power cable. 

On 9/17/2018 at 8:45 PM, Constabulary said:

you can run a lot of 400V motors on 220V by using a capacitor google for:  Steinmetzschaltung

Thanks. I took a look into that and it makes sense. I even have a number of the large capacitors laying around from my Jacob's Ladder projects. What does not make sense is the picture of the motor data plate he sent me. It states it is a 125/220V, Delta-Wye, 2.8/1.6A, 50hz motor, but he has it plugged into 2 phase, 400V (actually 380V I believe) as supported by his messages and the picture.  Either I am missing something or he is putting 2 phase through a single phase motor, or he only has one leg of that 400V power cord connected to the motor.  Any thoughts?

With all of this odd stuff, I think I may need to go after a Strobel machine that is not much further than this Singer. 

5ba15b494718d__57.thumb.JPG.06878b365de50dd3fa4b8e86053b9cdd.JPGmotor.thumb.jpg.a6e9b117b1d83768fffbb3415cc20561.jpg

Very nice vintage setup  :o

9 hours ago, d72hemi said:

Either I am missing something or he is putting 2 phase through a single phase motor, or he only has one leg of that 400V power cord connected to the motor.  Any thoughts?

thats what I would guess. How much doe they ask for the Singer? No I don´t want it - I have a 46K46 to set up - one day - maybe... :rolleyes2:

1 hour ago, Constabulary said:

Very nice vintage setup  :o

thats what I would guess. How much doe they ask for the Singer? No I don´t want it - I have a 46K46 to set up - one day - maybe... :rolleyes2:

It is a 46K38 with the bench and motor for 150 Euro, and it is about an hour drive away. The issue is that I only have time to go out there tomorrow and he is not available before I look at another nice machine.

There is a Strobel machine for 120 Euro, that is about 2 hours away, and I am scheduled to look at it tomorrow before noon. Like you I like old Singers (only a couple 201s so far). If I had the room for both I would get both.

5ba201836fd60__57(1).thumb.JPG.25daea3cad8582f6458d02d8f1afe365.JPG.5ba20344c5c5c__57.thumb.JPG.4104094ef113b76b642807419dcc7b64.JPG5ba20352470fd__57(5).thumb.JPG.5e8af951d6ffc5065628f2e76433286f.JPG5ba20370284ce__57(6).thumb.JPG.8dabe4d88506d7369b8e08ba7ebc26b4.JPG

To make things more fun, my German is horrible (typisch amerikaner) so it makes discussing the technical details and negotiating very interesting. Luckily everyone has been very understanding and helpful so far. Google Translate  has made some interesting mistakes LOL. 

The singer has a stitch lenght adjuster! Thats a big bonus I think! It looks a bit like my 46K46... I´ll post pictures in a minute...

EDIT

could well be that the Strobel´s are relabeled Success (Allbook & Hashfield) machines...

IMG_2391.JPG

IMG_2392.JPG

IMG_2393.JPG

IMG_2394.JPG

IMG_2395.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Constabulary,

I may have found a workaround to not being able to inspect the Singer 46K38 prior to going out to see the Strobel machine. The seller of the 46K38 will attempt to take a video of him sewing some leather scrap (he also sells leather) tonight if he has time. If I like what I see and we can agree on a date for me to pick it up I will transfer the money to him through the banks.  If he sends me the video and if anyone wants to review it let me know. 

That is a nice looking 46K46, what are you going to do with it? Does it work? 

As far as I can tell from my research the Strobels, Success and Rittershausen machines are all the same.

Bad news, he says it does not work and is not sure why. Although he never stated that it is fully functional (perhaps 2 phase into a single phase motor?), I wish he would have mentioned this when I told him I would like to inspect and test it.  I guess I will be testing the Strobel machine tomorrow. I will see if he want to sell the 46K38 for less since parts are hard to find and usually expensive. Maybe it just needs to be cleaned, maybe it will become decoration? 

I haven´t even threaded the 46K46 - I know nothing about it - really - it rests next to a 246K16 serger on a shelf and is collecting dust. I (yet) have no work for both machines but want to test them one day and you never know what they could be good for. Sometimes and idea pops up and then you need this or that machine... And just heaving the heads does not take too much space. Recently I met a lady in an IKEA store and had a random small talk and she said: "Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have" (a Franz Kafka citation by the way) ;)

33 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

I haven´t even threaded the 46K46 - I know nothing about it - really - it rests next to a 246K16 serger on a shelf and is collecting dust. I (yet) have no work for both machines but want to test them one day and you never know what they could be good for. Sometimes and idea pops up and then you need this or that machine... And just heaving the heads does not take too much space. Recently I met a lady in an IKEA store and had a random small talk and she said: "Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have" (a Franz Kafka citation by the way) ;)

That is one of my favourite quotes. My wife would say I do take it a little to far. LOL. The seller did clarify that it makes about 5 stitches then "drops the tread".  Probably just needs to be properly threaded, or cleaned, but it works as a bargaining chip for a better price. 

On the topic of lovely old cup seamers - one of my customers has this baby on the shelf.

20180823_095114.jpg

I did buy the Strobel machine.  The inside looks factory new, minus a few strands of fur that made it in there.  With the belt of the wheel spins freely and keeps spinning a number of rotations when you let go.  It also sewed a good sample! I just need to clear a spot in my garage or office and buy some cheap material to simulate furs so that I can practice before buying real rabbit fur. I may still get the Singer machine later. 

The lady selling it started to cry as I loaded it into the car. She watched her mother and father sew fur coats with it for nearly 30 years until her moth passed away 2 years ago, her father a decade before that. I told her that I will be sure to use it as often as I can and will teach my kids how to use it as well. She took comfort knowing that it will be used by a family again. 

On 9/23/2018 at 1:42 PM, Darren Brosowski said:

On the topic of lovely old cup seamers - one of my customers has this baby on the shelf.

20180823_095114.jpg

What model is it? 

Ok now it my turn.  I am in the process of buying a 46k38 from a private estate.  there a little surface rust and the paint has worn in places but Inside / underneath the maching looks pristeen.  I need to source needles as the seller doens't have any.  when I pick it up I wll add photos.

Our main use of the maching is repairing Ugg Boots.  So we're looking farward to trying it out

11 hours ago, LomaeArts said:

For a 46k38 parts manual, look here:

https://www.supsew.com/catalogs-diagrams 

Search for 46k34.

Windows lets me give the real link

https://www.universalsewing.com/images2/parts_lists/all/sk4hh86a.pdf