chrisash

Horsey repair stuff

Now retired but looking for a bit of extra money and we have a stables about 200 yards away from the house, never had anything to do with horses or there requirements apart from one event when a horse tried to step into my open topped sports car (Austin Healey Sprite hard to really classify as a sports car but there you are all 900cc)

So thinking of approaching them for any repairs, (definitely not saddles, ) and wondered what sort of requirement they may have and common things they are likely to require, I hear a lot about horse blankets, what does that normally involve

Reasonable with Hand stitching and have a Patcher 29K

Appreciate any suggestions, remember this is England so maybe a bit different than the USA

Some horses are very tough on blankets, so you will likely be patching a lot of holes, rips and tears in heavyweight nylon. Blankets can also be made of cotton, canvas or wool. Some are lined with artificial fleece for warmth or may have a quilted lining.

Most blankets these days do not have leather straps. The straps will be tough nylon webbing, and will sometimes need buckles re-sewn or torn straps mended.

I don't yet know enough about sewing machines to say what type of machine will be up to the task, but I think a patcher would likely do the trick.

As for tack, you will be mending a LOT of straps: halters, bridles, lead shanks, stirrup leathers. You'll need a good skiver and strap cutter for sure!

I do not know anything about horse gear either i am afraid but i have Heard horse blankets stink and dirty up yer machine mate so i would get an old 45k (or equivalent) which usually go cheap and go from there?? just a thought. I dont think your patcher will hold up well for that work??

You see, way back in 1907 they were just 10 quid new! (arm and a leg! back then) and you could have picked it up from Glasgow yourself! jejeje.

SIL10-2753-082a.thumb.jpg.cf44fcb2d6a9c259aa1aa1a3342ecb2b.jpg

Edited by jimi

Yup, horse blankets get VERY dirty! Horses like to roll while wearing them, so you will be dealing with both mud and horse poop.

If you are planning to machine sew horse tack, you will likely need something that can handle at least 10 to 11 oz. leather. I did a search on the forums here, and some posts even talk of leather up to 15 oz.  Don't forget, tack items are frequently lined to prevent the grain side from absorbing sweat, so that increases the thickness you are sewing.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

I was at a petting zoo the other day. The ponies' stuff was in pretty bad shape. I offered to work on it for the learning experience. 

I don't really know much about it, but I do have a pattern pack for tack.

That’s a great idea! You always see ponies and horses at fairs and stuff. That would be great experience.

You are probably better off looking at bag and general bag repairs as they are better paid and need less product knowledge.

Bear in mind most saddlers have many years training and have a good understanding of the thread and leather needed for tack repairs as a poorly repaired piece of tack can be highly dangerous. You also need to understand when not to repair certain items as not worth the risk to both horse and rider, let's face it no will die from a poor repair on a bag, this is not to suggest that your work would be of a poor quality. As you admit yourself you know little of horses and their tack. 

Rug repairs would be possible but can be quickest way to destroy a sewing machine, rugs often come in dirty and full of grit etc

As a working Master Saddler I have seen some really bad repairs done by people with no or little knowledge of saddlery and most riders prefer to have repairs done by either trained or at the very least in training saddlers. Also bear in mind the level of insurance needed to cover yourself in this line of work, to have at least £5million cover is not cheap and needs to be done before you even start repairs.

G'Day chrisash , 

Apart from various types of leatherwork , I also  I do an assortment of  leather repairs bridle repairs, stirrup strap repairs , alterations etc . , as well as  an assortment of repairs & alterations to canvas , tie down straps, shade sails etc.  In the early days,  being the only leather worker in town, it didn't take long for the word to get around on the bush telegraph.    In my small  country town , there was no-one that did any of this locally. So I got all of the work.   With a bit of basic market research I  asked a lot of the horse owners " who does your horse rug repairs ?"  Quite often the answer would be " I dunno" or " they get sent to Perth"  , some hours away.  So an opportunity came up. Long story short, an industrial machine came my way.  I started doing rug repairs.

Check the link.  I do all my horse rug repairs on this machine, both clean ....and dirty.  Yes, some rugs are filthy dirty when I get them , and I quite often smell like a horses butt when I've finished.  Some would not receive them like this, but, ...as I am the only one that does this, and as I have a good rapport with locals  and well known in town, its difficult to refuse both work ...and much needed  income.  There are no washing facilities anywhere,  but some clients  do try to clean them. This machine  is serviced regularly, cleaned  and  liberally oiled frequently because of this. 

http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/81806-sewing-machine-reliability/?tab=comments#comment-548958

This machine has earnt me quite a few extra dollar over the years, and sure helps when the leather works goes a bit quiet.  Perhaps one day, I'll be able to provide washing facilities as well. 

The  market demands  & circumstances where you live may be a lot different.  But good luck with whatever you decide  to do  :)

Hope this helps

HS 

Edited by Handstitched

It was just a idea but looking into it and the costs of the horse Blanket, there does not seem much money to be made, or at least in Norfolk England, seems  the going rate some only charge £20 to pickup, deliver and wash within 5 miles ,so doubt they pay much to repair blankets, so all things considered handling dirty well torn rugs does not appear that interesting, never considered my experience enough to do tack so that was never a option

Thats interesting to know about pricing there.  My customers drop off & pick up their rugs as I'm only about 10 mins from town . I can pick up & deliver  locally if they  need me to, but to another town is extra. The least I charge is $10 for a simple minor repair, and it goes up from there. The ones in the pics were around $60 - $80. Most of my customers give me  2,3, 4 rugs...or more to repair . During  Summer & Winter, I can earn quite a few dollars as they come in thick & fast . 

HS 

6 hours ago, fivewayswelshcobs said:

You are probably better off looking at bag and general bag repairs as they are better paid and need less product knowledge.

Bear in mind most saddlers have many years training and have a good understanding of the thread and leather needed for tack repairs as a poorly repaired piece of tack can be highly dangerous. You also need to understand when not to repair certain items as not worth the risk to both horse and rider, let's face it no will die from a poor repair on a bag, this is not to suggest that your work would be of a poor quality. As you admit yourself you know little of horses and their tack. 

Rug repairs would be possible but can be quickest way to destroy a sewing machine, rugs often come in dirty and full of grit etc

As a working Master Saddler I have seen some really bad repairs done by people with no or little knowledge of saddlery and most riders prefer to have repairs done by either trained or at the very least in training saddlers. Also bear in mind the level of insurance needed to cover yourself in this line of work, to have at least £5million cover is not cheap and needs to be done before you even start repairs.

First, realize I have no hurt feelings about your comments. I'm not the guy who would jump in with both feet into an industry I know nothing about. 

These are tiny ponies that children ride and I was planning to start with simple halters. My figuring is this... These ponies don't really get a lot of weight on their backs. 

And I was looking at simply replacing bad parts on saddles with new identical parts.

Now, I understand that just because that part needs replacing doesn't mean the point it is attached to doesn't also need replacing.

I'm a pretty smart man at knowing my limitations. And, I feel pretty confident that I shouldn't try and build a whole saddle from a book. 

I'm not looking for a full time career in saddle making. Leather is my hobby. 

If I did this at all I would do it safely and slowly. 

And I would come here for answers to my questions, before I did anything.

Because, we all know this site is full of talented expert craftsmen. 

People with far more knowledge than me.

Cheers.

I'm sure others will advise you on the leatherwork and the business side of things, but as a former microbiologist I can give you some definite advice - If you are going to be handling blankets that are covered in soil & horse muck. and using sharp tools, make sure your tetanus & other inoculations  are up to date. They are absolutely loaded with bacillus, clostridium, and other nasties, There is also a risk of infection by inhalation if the material is dried

Personally I would not handle anything unless it had been properly cleaned, either by the customer or yourself, for which you could charge

Edited by zuludog

I see the point about liability, but it doesn't take a lot of knowledge about horses to understand what parts of the tack are going to take a lot of stress. Lead shank breaks - you either remove the broken bit, and reposition the snap on undamaged leather, or cut a brand new shank. You do NOT try to splice in a new piece, not when you are trying to control a 1500 lb. animal!

Also, anyone who has been stitching leather for any length of time knows what sort of thread and stitching to use on something that is going to be exposed to sweat, dirt and the elements. If they don't, it's easy to look up. Same goes for the type of leather: it's called BRIDLE leather for a reason!  Latigo will do as well.

Most halters and bridles can be repaired by comparing the broken bits with the unbroken bits, and copying how they've been done: stitching, type of leather, amount of skiving on buckle ends, etc.

Well, maybe I'm overestimating how much common sense there is out there... :rolleyes2:

All one can do is try, ask questions and then try again. I’m sure the pony people would love new tack, and can explain any problems they are having. Hands on is the best training.

On another note..... If real saddle repair person wants to move to the Shreveport Louisiana area, the only guy repairing saddles retired a few months ago. There was no one to take over when Larry retired. I'm not even considering being that guy.

I'll warn you up front though, these swampbilly cowpokes like their stuff looking ragged. The more beat up the better. 

This is a weird state I wound up in.

G'Day chrisash, 

One suggestion, you could just  simply  try doing what I did, do some simple market research  in your town / local community   I  looked around my town and thought, " what does this town need that it hasn't got ? "   , with a horsey theme in mind.  I  also asked  some horse owners in my local community . ( my town  has approx.  1700 people)  , 'who does this,who does that? where do you get that done? '  ...and so on.     

I soon got my answers. 

I also like to be a equine retailer in the future, but thats another story. 

It might give you some ideas ? 

HS 

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:41 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

I see the point about liability, but it doesn't take a lot of knowledge about horses to understand what parts of the tack are going to take a lot of stress. Lead shank breaks - you either remove the broken bit, and reposition the snap on undamaged leather, or cut a brand new shank. You do NOT try to splice in a new piece, not when you are trying to control a 1500 lb. animal!

Also, anyone who has been stitching leather for any length of time knows what sort of thread and stitching to use on something that is going to be exposed to sweat, dirt and the elements. If they don't, it's easy to look up. Same goes for the type of leather: it's called BRIDLE leather for a reason!  Latigo will do as well.

Most halters and bridles can be repaired by comparing the broken bits with the unbroken bits, and copying how they've been done: stitching, type of leather, amount of skiving on buckle ends, etc.

Well, maybe I'm overestimating how much common sense there is out there... :rolleyes2:

I beg to differ, based on what I see come through.  People that don't know horses consistently underestimate the weight and strength of leather needed in tack and equipment, and underestimate the strength of a horse as well.  I have to agree with the liability warning, and unless the OP, and anyone else considering repair/fabrication of horse equipment, is able to work closely with someone who DOES have extensive horse experience, I would advise sticking to projects that don't carry the liability issues.