Constabulary

Singer 111w list of subclasses & sales brochure

I have scanned this brochures I have a while ago, not sure if I uploaded here alreday. Subclass list for sure is not complete but at the date of printing (11-52  afaik) it was what Singer offered as regular machines. Seems the 111w156 was not on the marked back then. Hope you like it

Singer 111w Class Machine Brochure.PDF

7 hours ago, Constabulary said:

I have scanned this brochures I have a while ago, not sure if I uploaded here alreday. Subclass list for sure is not complete but at the date of printing (11-52  afaik) it was what Singer offered as regular machines. Seems the 111w156 was not on the marked back then. Hope you like it

Singer 111w Class Machine Brochure.PDF

There's one more Keystone sewing library archive, thanks for sharing.

I don't suppose you chaps have a user manual for this machine? All I've found so far is a parts list.

Pity. There's something weird about the 117, it doesn't have a spring to exert downward pressure on the outer foot. The foot bar is extended above the top of the casing and the parts list (and the brochure) shows a lever attached to it. Mine doesn't have the lever so I'm puzzled by exactly how it's all supposed to work.

it had a trimming device but I think someone removed it. Is the spring on the back just missing or are the "rest clamp" for the spring on the outer foot bar missing too??

I'll have to have a much closer look. The parts list mentions that on the 117 some parts are left out and different ones fitted compared to the 116 (my parts list is a pretty poor copy, hard to read some of the stuff in it). I didn't pay much attention to it when I got it, I basically cleaned it up and it seemed to work but I haven't really used it yet. I'm just puzzled by the lever that's attached to the top of the presser bar, I just can't see how it does anything (except go up and down!).

I might have to spend some time on it tomorrow 'cos now I'm curious about how it's different inside.

22 hours ago, Constabulary said:

you are welcome - would like to have the "key" to your archive ;)

No locks here!!! 

On the 111W117 there is a clamp atop the extended lifting presser foot bar as dikman has indicated. Attached to that clamp would have been an extension that goes down in front of the machine and rests at an angle on a sliding collar. The collar is on the on the upper thread tension post where the adjusting thumb nut would normally be. As the thickness of the material increases, the angled extension rises and begins to relieve pressure on the beehive tension spring. Upper thread tension is reduced.

The lifting presser bar has a flat spring as most 111W machines do, though of a different part number than other flat springs as it has attachment points. There is an auxiliary bowed spring attached atop the main spring and this auxiliary spring is extremely light. The adjusting thumb nut is shorter than in other 111W versions to allow for the bowed spring. All or almost all foot pressure comes from this extra light auxiliary spring.

In its intended use for stitching sleeves in coats, the mechanism functions to allow maximum fullness in the thick padded portions, so that the stitches do not compress the padding. The resultant stitch in thick padded portions would be somewhat close to a basting stitch as the bobbin thread would only be drawn slightly into the material.

Ah-ha! Many thanks 111W, now I'm beginning to see how it was intended to function. For my needs I obviously don't require any of that complex linkage so I just need to restore it to a basic 111-type functionality.

A nice little project for me.

Had a quick look today (been a bit busy, I'm making replacement handwheels for my lathe, I cast them out of aluminium but they needed a lot of machining to make them usable). The reason the outer foot was lifting with the leather is because the flat spring tensioning screw was all the way out (doh!). Screwing it almost all the way down stopped the lifting. Unfortunately I could hear something knocking underneath during a stitch cycle, hopefully I can spend more time on it tomorrow.

On 20 september 2018 at 12:29 AM, dikman said:

I don't suppose you chaps have a user manual for this machine? All I've found so far is a parts list.

In the aviation manuals they explain some adjustments on the 111w155

http://navyaviation.tpub.com/10330/css/Timing-The-111-W-155-Machine-10330_53-53.htm

I have various manuals for some of the 111 class but I was hoping for something specific to the 116/117 as they appear to be different. I guess the 155 is as close as I'll get.

I decided to have a go at adjusting it today, using the 151 - 155 manual. While that brochure tends to lump it in with these machines, 'cos it's a 111, it's significantly different in construction and appears to be, for want of a better description, a dumbed down version. The adjustments available are less than on the other machines. Not necessarily a bad thing as it makes it easier to adjust. It's definitely designed for a longer needle than the others.

Would be nice to get a manual for it though.