georgiapine85

New rifle slings, and first reptile skin project

Well it's been a while since I've posted so I thought Id show you the latest rifle slings I've just wrapped up in the last few weeks. Both slings are made from 8-9oz Hermann Oak veg tanned leather. The oak leaf sling is finished in Eco Flo med. brown antique, and the Snake skin sling is finished in Fiebings med. brown dye, and both were topped off with a coat of neatsfoot oil and aussie. This was my first reptile/exotic skin project, and it was a lot of fun to make. This is an Eastern Diamond Back rattlesnake from South GA.DSCN3703.jpg.74f452399df55c7678f817ecfcf1a404.jpgDSCN3710.jpg.3ee291ba933e3444d4e0707ee495dc5f.jpgDSCN3723.jpg.8bccd3a2d4940aada2db4029378f785f.jpgDSCN3724.JPG.4f986de926e1d008d6d22b53490c1222.JPG

great looking slings, i like them both. nice stitching on the rattler sling.

3 minutes ago, bdpeters said:

great looking slings, i like them both. nice stitching on the rattler sling.

Thanks! I hand stitched that......my hands hurt!

Looks very good!

Beautiful work on these slings!  Nice job controlling the dye on the stamping and carved areas.

Many years ago I was walking along a trail in south Georgia with a few buddies, heading for a fishing pond.  A couple of them stepped over a fallen tree and as I was stepping up on the log I heard rattling.  Looked down and tucked under the tree was a very large rattlesnake!  We dispatched it and it looked to be about 4 feet long.  I am glad I always step up on logs before putting my feet down on the other side - you never know what might be setting under a log!

Gary

That's some fine craftin'...great job on the tooling work as well as the snake skin overlay.

2 hours ago, tearghost said:

Absolutely beautiful

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Riem said:

Looks very good!

I appreciate it.

1 hour ago, garypl said:

Beautiful work on these slings!  Nice job controlling the dye on the stamping and carved areas.

Many years ago I was walking along a trail in south Georgia with a few buddies, heading for a fishing pond.  A couple of them stepped over a fallen tree and as I was stepping up on the log I heard rattling.  Looked down and tucked under the tree was a very large rattlesnake!  We dispatched it and it looked to be about 4 feet long.  I am glad I always step up on logs before putting my feet down on the other side - you never know what might be setting under a log!

Gary

Gary this was actually a resist technique. I'm from North GA so we don't see alot of the timber Rattlers that often up here but I hear South GA has both kinds and lots of them. I appreciate it Gary.

1 hour ago, Double Daddy said:

That's some fine craftin'...great job on the tooling work as well as the snake skin overlay.

Thank you!

Great job

12 hours ago, georgiapine85 said:

Gary this was actually a resist technique

Those came out great.  What did you use that resulted in such a successful resist?

YinTx

On 9/19/2018 at 9:04 PM, bikermutt07 said:

Great job

Thank you!

On 9/19/2018 at 9:29 PM, Clintock said:

Looks great! Only problem I’d have is I’d shoot my rifle with my pistol thinking a snake has crawled in my shooting house with me. :o

The wife of the fella I made it for said "I hope he don't just leave it laying around in the floor or something!" She was concerned about getting spooked I guess. : )      

On 9/20/2018 at 1:12 AM, YinTx said:

Those came out great.  What did you use that resulted in such a successful resist?

YinTx

Yin, I used 3 good coats of Supershene, with at least 8 hrs dry time between. Slow process but well worth it. Thanks by the way.