flyingcuda

duck tote or carrier

does anyone know if there is a pattern for making a duck tote or carrier? i am not a hunter, but have been requested to make one. they look simple enough, i just have no clue for measurements. :(

Do you mean a game carrier? The kind that hangs off your belt?

apparently it goes over the shoulder?  

IMG_7476_op_657x438.jpg

You can make a single one with a belt loop. Less extravagant than the one pictured. I have seen them made with no hardware using a bleeder knot on each leg.

I think your pattern is in the picture

the pattern looks easy enough, i don't know about the measurements that are used, as i said, i'm not a hunter, i have no idea if the straps are 18 inches or 36 inches, so this is where i need the assistance

Those rivet heads can be your point of reference and then scale the strapping off of them. I don't think there is a "wrong" here.

The only thing I've ever hunted successfully is beer.   As my waiste size attests, there has been great success in that sort of hunt.   But I think @battlemunky has the right idea, the rivet heads, hardware and makers stamp are your clues for scale.  Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but copper rivet heads are around 3/8" diameter.  That would make the D rings on the shoulder trap about 1" and the snap rings around 1/2" or 5/8"

Your other option would be to just ask the guy you're making it for.  Just tell him you've seen pictures and have figured out that it's not hard for you to make, but having never seen one in person don't know exactly how big it should be.  

-Bill

thank you folks! i have decided to just "wing it" pun totally intended ;) @billybob, my hubby is a successful beer hunter as well!! :)

On 9/19/2018 at 8:32 AM, flyingcuda said:

does anyone know if there is a pattern for making a duck tote or carrier? i am not a hunter, but have been requested to make one. they look simple enough, i just have no clue for measurements. :(

Right here boss.