chrisash

Singer 8-8 heavy duty

Found this on Ebay a Singer 8-8 and it looks like it was built for sewing two military tanks together or similar, does anyone have any knowledge about this model

Must say its ripe for a touch of TLC

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/industrial-sewing-machine-Singer-8-8/163215347059?hash=item2600648d73:g:8joAAOSwQc5bVZ57 

Hi, This might clarify Chris..... and by the way, that is not in a 1000 quids worth of condition!

If you click a couple of times on the picture you can see it closer up.

SIL10-148-01a.thumb.jpg.deba51798aa3305788f9f88d395d33bb.jpgSIL10-148-02a.thumb.jpg.f90d75f3c41c71e90477ee3787bb5278.jpgSIL10-148-03a.thumb.jpg.06e0bb371335b73df2bc5d3f22879639.jpgSIL10-148-04a.thumb.jpg.2b334164f8026d54a5dfa139588cf4fa.jpg

Edited by jimi

Singer advertising: "Collapsible pocket size sewing machine for your sewing needs when traveling or your holidays abroad"  :blink:

If some one claims mine is bigger then yours and you have this machine in your shop - you know he for sure does not know yours :lol:

I think this is probably is a machine where my small Singer crazy mind say: "No - you really don´t need it!"

Edited by Constabulary

That looks like it's been in a dust storm and been blasted by sand!!

Methinks it would need more than a bit of TLC.

Go on you know you really do want it, think of all those aircraft hangers you could make, just need a bit of oil and a fork lift and away you go

Must have been made in Texas as everything is bigger there:lol::lol::lol:

17 minutes ago, chrisash said:

Go on you know you really do want it, think of all those aircraft hangers you could make, just need a bit of oil and a fork lift and away you go

Must have been made in Texas as everything is bigger there:lol::lol::lol:

Damn - you are right! Just recently someone asked me for an Antonov hangar... 

s-l1600.jpg

Set up for double needle, even !

54 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

Singer advertising: "Collapsible pocket size sewing machine for your sewing needs when traveling or your holidays abroad"  :blink:

If some one claims mine is bigger then yours and you have this machine in your shop - you know he for sure does not know yours :lol:

I think this is probably is a machine where my small Singer crazy mind say: "No - you really don´t need it!"

I think you DO really need it - Just think how it would look all polished and painted - You could spend endless hours, just staring at it :wub:

Dont buy it there is a big bit missing off the front , compare the manual and the picture, your loosing about 4 foot of iron

That was an accessory :lol:

22 minutes ago, trash treasure said:

You could spend endless hours, just staring at it :wub:

it´s tempting  :unsure:

15 minutes ago, chrisash said:

your loosing about 4 foot of iron

Meeen - this seller is cheating! But seems to be a standard part - no problem, maybe I have one in my spare parts bin or I make one out of JW Weld B)

Edited by Constabulary

Need long arms if the foot pedal is at the motor end

I'll never forget the day I went to a service call in town here & walked in a room with 2 of these clunking away side by side.What a sound!

These are probably used for stitching canvas straps onto truck tops?

TLC? Maybe a little 3-in-1 oil, adjust the timing...

As long as we're on the subject of monster sewing machines, I thought to post this one -

I found this photo a while ago, and have no idea what the machine is/was for, except that it's BIG, and it's obviously just an "art object", now ....

monster.jpg

This was made by Gabriel Beyroux and probably would have been used for sailmaking. This is another of his machines.

https://www.letelegramme.fr/finistere/concarneau/tresors-du-musee-2-de-la-couture-avec-la-comtesse-21-12-2014-10470249.php.

la-machine-a-coudre-les-voiles-du-musee-de-la-peche_2192040.jpg.882b564c347d148207b9dd8dbdf70f89.jpg

Edited by jimi

4 hours ago, jimi said:

This was made by Gabriel Beyroux and probably would have been used for sailmaking. This is another of his machines.

https://www.letelegramme.fr/finistere/concarneau/tresors-du-musee-2-de-la-couture-avec-la-comtesse-21-12-2014-10470249.php.

la-machine-a-coudre-les-voiles-du-musee-de-la-peche_2192040.jpg.882b564c347d148207b9dd8dbdf70f89.jpg

That is very Cool I love these old machines...

Trash treasure, those leg castings look like they came off a bridge! That was a time when such castings weren't only functional but had style.