RegisD

Another Movie - Open Range

All Cowboy movie fans remember Kevin Costner as Charlie Waite in the movie Open Range.  This is Will Ghormley's pattern of the Charlie Waite gunleather.  

rsz_img_2411.jpg

Great rig and great movie too!

According to modern knowledge the cowboy duel's very seldom ever happened, so why was the open holster adopted by so many when presumably the cavalry covered holster would give the gun so much more protection from the extreams of weather and the effects of grit etc causing wear and tear

While the quick draw was not really a common part of the old west most "cowboy" gun carriers did so more for personal protection from wild life some of which can do damage very quickly so they needed speedy access to their protective weapons. And while not duelling still there was an element of protection from other armed persons such as robbers and ambushers, card cheaters! etc....

Packing Iron is a great book if you find a copy to walk through the evolution of the holster as is Bianchi's Blue Steel and Gunleather though it focuses less on the old times and more on "modern" gunleather... still he is (was?) a real student of holster history and its a good read.

Good looking rig.

Chrisash,

Also,  as the cartridge pistols became popular, Cowboys wanted to show-off those 1873 Colts , they cost a months pay or more. Hence, the variants of open top holster designs, bullet loops on gun belts and ornamentation.  In addition to the practical aspects, style was an influencing factor in the Old West,  just as it is today.   

Expertly crafted rig! As if Charlie Waite just had unbuckled it. 

I've also tried my hand on some of Will Ghormley's patterns. I like them, but ... in this particular case I'd prefer the middle bulge (hump? bump?) of the holster to sit between the loops (instead of being covered by the lower one). Wouldn't that be the whole point of the Cheyenne style?

LederRudi,

Thanks for the compliment!

In regards to the holster bulge, it works just fine, and i'll bet the actual holster is exactly the same.  I have used many of Will's patterns and they are spot on.  I don't know how he makes his patterns as accurately as he does, I've never been disappointed. 

I'm also sure that the pattern conforms to the rig actually worn by Kevin Kostner. And … I'm beginning to like it. 

I believe Will may have mase the orogonals foe the movies

He makes gunleather for Hollywood