grep

Tool and hardware storage.

I realize folks are traditionally posting leather projects here, but I thought there may also be some interest in projects on the workshop side of things.

I've been working on storage boxes for my tools and hardware. Cigar boxes and a little balsa or basswood make for a cheap but solid solution. I'd estimate that each of these boxes totals about $3 in materials, plus ~20min of my time. For tools, I tend to favor clamshell style boxes. For hardware I like the ones with sliding lids as they're more secure, but they are a bit more work to fit properly.

For anyone who wants to make some of these for themselves, I've attached a couple photos of a sample joint. The trick I've found for a tight joint is to cut the notch to a bevel, then shave off a little as needed until desired fit is achieved.

Tools required: x-acto knife, straght edge, square.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

image11.JPG

image22.JPG

Edited by grep
typo

A very handy tip......thanks for posting! 

This is just in time. I have lots of new stuff to organize. Out grew my work room by a good bit last weekend. ;)

Anyone else have some tips?

I like the sortimo style boxes for hardware. And I don't have many tools, the ones I use most fit in a cheap toolbox from Walmart. I was thinking about one of those rolling mechanics tool chest with drawers and such, a cheap one from harbor freight or something. 

I like those cigar boxes though. Good way to use up materials you have lYing around. 

3 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

I like the sortimo style boxes for hardware. And I don't have many tools, the ones I use most fit in a cheap toolbox from Walmart. I was thinking about one of those rolling mechanics tool chest with drawers and such, a cheap one from harbor freight or something. 

I like those cigar boxes though. Good way to use up materials you have lYing around. 

Those sortimo boxes are awesome, they definitely cost a pretty penny though. I have a slight obsession with diy and repurposing things; kind of a hobby in its own right actually. The cigar boxes are a good outlet for that.

Where do you find cigar boxes? I don't smoke, so that won't work!

Jeff

2 hours ago, alpha2 said:

Jeff

Michaels has various sizes of wooden boxes.

Tom

Most cigar stores will give you cigar boxes, or sell them to you for a few $.   They come in lots of sizes and styles, some with hinged lids some sliding lids, some fancy some plain.  Most are lined with Spanish Cedar which smells incredible!    I've wrapped a couple in leather, cut foam and felt for inside and gifted them as jewelry boxes.  I also use some for tools - they are incredibly handy to have around!

- Bill

Thanks for the tips.

6 hours ago, alpha2 said:

Jeff

There's a national chain with several locations in my area called Total Wine & More. They put their cigar boxes out for sale by the registers for about $2 each. Oddly enough, I also catch some of the local thrift stores trying to sell the same boxes for $5-10.

I'd imagine some might also turn up at yard or estate sales on occasion.