RusticLeatherShop

How much is the price for repair sewing leather per Stitch Per Inch (SPI)?

4 minutes ago, RusticLeatherShop said:

That problem had the soviets as well since they never really knew how to price an item.

The main problem in posing a question such as this is, each different area or country has a different cost of living, wages structure etc.

I earn $22+ per hour plus penalties for nightshift, weekends, public holidays etc. In some countries $22 is a weeks wages. There is no way to compare what I would pay for a pair of shoes, smartphone case or a loaf of bread etc, with what you would pay.

Even after considering different countries, there are obvious class differences within each country. Some person who will pay $500US for a pair of shoes could be standing beside when I pay $3.00 for a loaf of bread. I would never pay $500 for a pair of shoes, but he would buy the bread for $3.00. Possibly in your country, the $500USD shoes are still $500USD, but your bread may be $1.00 or less, so there is no comparison between economies. ( I have seen this exact scenario in a foreign country).

As I said previously, if you want to know what something is worth, ask your peers and customers in your own country, and also people who are close to your economical situation.

For reference: over here an hours minimal wages is 1.6 US$.

You brought a cowboy 4500 at great expense when you could have brought a lower cost leather machine to do the work it looks like you do, yet you talk about having no money and nobody can afford to by slightly better items from you. you are a confusing person thats for sure

You are wasting your time guys.....he isn't interested in anything but arguing and trying to have people tell him prices/criticize other's prices.

Disagree with him, you are a bully. Try to help him, you are ignored. Try to tell him he needs some tools or supplies and you get called a douchebag forum troll.

Tell him what he wants to hear. Allow me to illustrate:

I'd give $60 US for those shoes, regardless of market or brand and maybe $20 or so more if they are "rustic". Maybe if they have some crooked and weak sewing, I'd go as high as $83.50, unless the seller has to justify buying a machine he had no idea how to use, then $84 even. Now if they had some shoddily sewn nylon edge piping that was used to hide inept edge work, that's a whole different story, at least $85.

7 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

I'd go as high as $83.50, unless the seller has to justify buying a machine he had no idea how to use, then $84 even

Thanks mucky,

That's a honest reply. I could resell these on ebay or Etsy.com. Wanna order some? I'll sell them to you for 80$ + shipping. Maybe it'e more economical to resell things as to make them myself. The items I made for myself I am 100% happy with them and still holding strong despite most of them being made when I just started (as the video on Youtube is as well from the very beginning) and thus the leather is still split cow leather and not the full grain pig leather of recent times.

Yes before I bought the machine I never had sewn before. When the CB4500 arrived, I set it up and the first sewing was an instant success. First try first success! I guess that's called a "natural talent".

14 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

Now if they had some shoddily sewn nylon edge piping that was used to hide inept edge work, that's a whole different story, at least $85.

I am allways 100% honest.

I could have told you underneath the binding it's sanded and burnished first class and edge painted. Then binded. You would have "swallowed" happily that lie and bought the item for 35$. People wanna have told what they wanna hear.

The items are not sewn shoddy together but that's a very strong precise sewing underneath the binding. The binding makes the thing only more looking professionally by covering "whats under the hood". Those items will last you a half lifetime. Considered: first will fail the nylon binding; but no sooner than after a few decades with moderate use. You can send the items to me again for rebinding for free. No problem with that.

See, telling people the truth is not very good business practice novadays!

Rustic;

I once was friends with a harness shop owner who made top end harnesses for race horses. Sometimes his customers, or other makers' customers would ship items to him for repairs or resewing. Some of his machines were equipped with stitch counters. He would note the count at the beginning and end of a repair job and charge by the stitch, not the length. Perhaps you can calculate the value of one stitch of each thickness of thread you have in stock and mark it up to what both you and your customers can live with.

As for counting the stitches, you can either count out loud as you sew, or count the holes your needle made, minus one at the beginning and end (there are two holes per stitch). Plus, the thickness sewn would enter into it.

56 minutes ago, RusticLeatherShop said:

That's a honest reply. 

First try first success! I guess that's called a "natural talent".

No, no it's not honest. It is the least honest thing I've ever said on this forum, saying I'd buy anything from you in it's current state of....whatever you consider sellable goods.

Also, I wouldn't say being able to set up and use a sewing machine and using it well enough to make a high quality item are the same thing.

Again, I think you are punking us all. I've been on this forum for almost 3 years now and until you came along I haven't felt any hostility or ill will coming from anyone else. Now, anytime I see your name in a thread or a reply I know there will be something negative or some low key passive-aggressive, and even racist now, spew. I hope you will get your ego in check and try to actually contribute one of these days.

14 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

No, no it's not honest. It is the least honest thing I've ever said on this forum, saying I'd buy anything from you in it's current state of....whatever you consider sellable goods.

Also, I wouldn't say being able to set up and use a sewing machine and using it well enough to make a high quality item are the same thing.

Again, I think you are punking us all. I've been on this forum for almost 3 years now and until you came along I haven't felt any hostility or ill will coming from anyone else. Now, anytime I see your name in a thread or a reply I know there will be something negative or some low key passive-aggressive, and even racist now, spew. I hope you will get your ego in check and try to actually contribute one of these days.

Amen brother! Let us shout it from the rooftops!!!