dikman

126x11 needle specs? (For 111W117).

Does anyone know the overall length of this needle? I haven't been able to find it by googling so far.

This is the standard needle for my 111W117, which I've adjusted to take a 135x17 (but it's a shorter needle). This probably explains why i can't get the 1/2" under-the-foot that the brochure mentions as the needle bar is hitting the inner foot with this needle at 3/8" clearance.

Needle system 190 should solve the issue, its 4mm longer. 126 seems to be an uncommon needle. However my needle bar is not hitting the inner foot with 135 needle. Is for what ever reason your hook tip too low - probably because of the 111w117 had trimming device? :dunno: Meaning if the hook tip is deeper the needle / needle bar has to go deeper too - don´t know just my 1st guess. Can you compare with your other 111?

190R

http://www.dotec.com.tw/product_detail.php?p_id=61

135x17

http://www.dotec.com.tw/product_detail.php?p_id=33

Edited by Constabulary

Thanks for that needle info, I'll have to see what I can find.

According to the meagre info that I've found/been told about the 117, other than a few parts to do with the spring tensioning of the presser foot and the cutters it's basically the same as the 116, which in turn is basically a 153. I'll have a look but I reckon the hook assembly is likely to be a "normal" 111 type. In the other post I mentioned there was a knocking noise coming from underneath which turned out to be the hook hitting the needle. I lowered the needle bar to set the correct adjustment but this meant the needle bar was just touching the inner foot at the needle's lowest point. Unfortunately I have no idea what was used in this machine before but it appears that it must have been a longer needle than the 135 I've fitted.

All good fun.

Overall length of the 126x11 varies with needle size as the length of the eye and length of the point increase as the needle size goes up. I do not have the range of variance. The dimension from the furthest end of the shank to where you first come to the eye is 1.850" (47mm).

Measured in the same manner, dimensions are 44.5mm (1.751") for system 190R and 1.530" (38.9mm) for system 135x17.

koreric, that chart is for flat shank needles, not round.

111W, that figure from the shank end to the eye explains it all. I've lost 8 mm in clearance by using a 135 needle.  Thank you. Next time I'm near the (industrial) sewing machine supplier I'll ask them what's available to see if I can squeeze a bit more clearance from the beastie.

1 hour ago, dikman said:

koreric, that chart is for flat shank needles, not round.

my bad, was trying to hurry when i copied the link earlier and didn't see that... here you go

http://ismacs.net/needle_and_shank/needle-cross-reference-chart-round-shank.html

College Sewing in the UK lists several different sizes and styles of 126x11 needles in stock. Price is pretty reasonable so I suspect it may be a NOS item. You could grab a bunch and even if their supply is not sustainable you'll give yourself (a) a reference for what the correct needle is like and (b) time to find a longer-term source of a suitable substitute needle.

A 111 that can sew 1/2" sounds bloody useful!

If they've got them then I'm hopeful that my local place should have them (or their stores interstate). If not I'll order some from College. 

Rang the dealer, no luck on the 126 but they do have 190's in size 110 and 140 so i might go for a ride and get some. They're only a couple of mm shorter so I can live with that.

I decided to adjust it today, the needle bar had the two marks on it so I set it to spec, fitted a 135 needle and noted where it was hitting the hook. I them measured the distance needed to set the needle correctly and it came out about 8mm difference, so the 190 will be close enough.

Bought some 190 needles, only problem is they're round point garment needles, they don't have leather points in stock. After much stuffing around I found that I can get 1/2" of leather under the feet and it's possible to sew it with #138 thread (required quite a bit of effort hand-cranking) BUT (there's always a but) these needles don't like thick veg-tan and kept getting stuck in the leather!! I guess I was asking too much of these poor needles. They work fine with thinner leather.

So far the only place I've found that has 190's in leatherpoint is The Thread Exchange.

I think this machine has possibilities if I can get the right needles.