Turves09

Wallets layers?

Hey guys 

i am new to leather work and am looking at copying my favourite wallet. I have cut out ‘T’ Pieces to make 6 card slots but it is very thick as the t pieces overlap. What can I do? 

7EFC331C-B4BB-434E-B41D-18E17C45CC68.jpeg

You have a few options:

• Go to youtube and watch some videos on skiving. It isn't what I'd call beginner stuff and the learning curve is low but skill level is a tad higher, not to mention your knife needs to be sharp like a light saber. Skiving is basically thinning the leather out. It intimidates the crap out of me.
  • Live with the thickness. I have a few pretty thick wallets and they aren't that bad unless you are going for the minimalist thing. Putting cards in it seems to help even though it adds thickness.
  • Find thinner leather and replace your T slots with thinner leather saving the thicker leather for the outer shell.

I wish I had more wisdom but the good thing about that is there is a ton of it here on the forum, just give it a little bit and someone may have better advice. Be patient though, it looks like you are off to a great start in the right direction and if you are anything like me you're dying to put that wallet together.

Best of luck and keep putting up pictures.

If you sew the t pieces onto the main inside leather sheet, then

Each card only needs to be as long as the card inside it plus a allowance to be able to sew onto the back of the inside sheet

Sew the bottom to the inside sheet

Do the same for the others so they stagger down the wallet each just long enough to hold the card and be sewn in. (all the cards apart from the bottom one can be the same length, probably half the length shown in your image

That just leaves the bottom which is not a t card 

Hard to describe but hope you get the gist of it, you dont need the full length for the t cards

Another option the bigger companies use is the do the t in leather but have the lower part in a nylon type thin material sewn into the t section

Edited by chrisash

From the looks of your card slots in the image you are already using a very low weight leather so there isn't much skiving that could be done to that without the risk of damage.  When I make wallets with the stacked pockets like that and the request is for anything more than 3 pockets per side I have created T-slot templates that have the bottom (hidden section) offset from one another.  In other words, one T-slot base will be to the left most side of the component and the next one will be to the right most side of the component; I then continue on until the final cover pocket.  Either way, you are still going to have some thickness but it is minimized by being spread out instead of just down the center line where all you pocket bottoms line up.  Another option is to use a lining leather for that many pockets as it is much thinner than the rest.

Gosh, I learn SO much from this site!  :rockon:

And as was said in the above link by MarkCdub:   Thank you all so much.  I know the same questions are asked repeatedly, and I appreciate y'alls patience and willingness to help without being condescending ie. "Use the search function!".

Thanks everyone for their comments. The leather I am using is kangaroo so it’s quite thin already. 

Sorry if this question has been asked before but was not sure what to search for. Cheers:)

So I have cut down the pieces to ‘Ts’ and have turned 5 layers thick to only 2. Heaps thinner. 

4A67C8D6-93B5-406E-BF4A-16ED4CA61828.jpeg

Thank you for the pics as well as the question. Keep them coming and keep up the good work! I can't wait to see this when it's done.

:yeah: Way to go, Turves!  Did you cut them so the horizontal parts of the T's are offset from each other?

Keep up the good work!

Yes I did offset them. One left. One middle and one right. The final 2 are a left and middle. 

Once done I will post pics. 

Cheers for the support. 

:yeah: Way to go, Turves!  Did you cut them so the horizontal parts of the T's are offset from each other?

Keep up the good work!

Silly me! Of course, I meant VERTICAL, not horizontal! :crazy: