Jordan

How about Pictures of Your Workshops

How bout some closeups of those flipflops.

Oh man those flips are long since gone. I don't think I have any images of them. However I did sleep at a holiday inn express last nite. ( just kidding, just happened to see commercial and thought i would toss the joke out)

Here is my mess.

Art

WS1.jpg

WS2.jpg

WS5.jpg

WS6.jpg

WS7.jpg

WS8.jpg

post-195-1225146597_thumb.jpg

post-195-1225146635_thumb.jpg

post-195-1225146657_thumb.jpg

post-195-1225146691_thumb.jpg

post-195-1225146712_thumb.jpg

post-195-1225146725_thumb.jpg

Elton. I was looking at the Pic of your bench and my old eyes could not figure out what it was that was on the bench under the splitter. Then cha ching. A sideways mounted rein rounder. This has solved a slight dilema I have with limited bench space. My rein rounder on top of the bench gives me the itsha's. it is an in the way nuisance where I have it. Guess what I am doing tonight.

Barra

This is my humble abode, but it's doing great at the moment. Darryl

Image079.JPG

post-7179-1225154134_thumb.jpg

Barra, I came up with that mounting position because I also use it to tighten the knots on lariat ropes that I tie for customers. It worked out great for both uses!!

Elton,

Interesting way to mount the rounder alright. However, I am not seeing one item in your shop that should be a necessity. Where is the CD player to play the Kandace Kalona CD???

Bruce. Give him a break. He does have the obligatory coffee cup.

Bruce, trust me it's there!! My TV has a built in cd/dyd player! And honestly there is more Don Edwards, Waddie Mitchell and Dave Stamey played in it than Kandace's but she still has her place in the stack!!!

As for the coffee cup, it's my favorite. I picked it up in the C.M. Russel museum gift shop and I couldn't live without it if it vanished!!

here are some pics of my shop. the inside is 11 1/2' X 19 1/2', my shop is an old single car carage which was made out of two sheds back in the 50's, I have enough workspace but it sure would be nice to have onother building the same size to store stuff in. I will post more photos in the next posts.

Steve

IMGP1099.JPGIMGP1100.JPG

post-1787-1225213127_thumb.jpg

post-1787-1225213443_thumb.jpg

After the roof repairs and all I'm am just now trying to get the room back together. Still have things in boxes. Got most of the tools out tough. I think. Well for what it's worth here it is.

Tom

IMG_0013.JPGIMG_0007.JPGIMG_0014.JPGIMG_0012.JPGIMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

post-6291-1225242544_thumb.jpg

post-6291-1225242593_thumb.jpg

post-6291-1225242625_thumb.jpg

post-6291-1225242701_thumb.jpg

post-6291-1225242740_thumb.jpg

post-6291-1225242783_thumb.jpg

jones_2.JPG

Ok I see this is going to be difficult. This one is of two of my machines. The one in the fore ground is my Jones stitcher that is mounted on a 29K13 treadle. The other is my Singer 132K6. Both are on wheels so I can shift them to make better use of my limited space (1/2 a double garage). I have a cutting out bench outside under the patio that I can wheel in once the car is outside and hence get full use of the garage. I can then push the Jones out of the way and wheel the K6 up to the mobile cutting out bench for horse rugs etc

More to follow as I work out shrinking images so I can load more than one Pic at a time.

Barra

post-1669-1225264535_thumb.jpg

Edited by barra

I can see I'm going to need Johanna's help shrinking image sizes.

This is my main bench set up. The bench in the foreground is made up of modular hammer lock shelves. I have arranged 4 shelving units, side by side length ways and then put a false wooden bench top on. There is space between the wood top and the actual shelving units to slide in various nic nacs like note pads, rulers and the straps of various widths that I use to set my plough guage (I don't trust the increments on the guage itself).

Tools are arranged on the back board in fairly stock standard fashion. What I do however is group tools like awls or edgers and mount them onto small wooden boards that are seperate to the main back board. These small boards are then adhered to the main back board with self adhesive velcro. This way I can swap things around as the whim takes me. it also makes it easy to dismantle everything quickly and pack up the tools into trunks. The loops I use for my awls have old corks in them. These stay permanantly in the loop and I jab the awl into the corks. This I find stops rusty awl blades. At night the entire back board also gets covered up and I find this helps avoid rusty tools.

In the back ground is an old drafters table that fell off the back of a truck. This table has a drawer the depth of the entire table. It is in this drawer that I store items that are in the process of being assembled to keep them clean and avoid them getting knocked about. At the back of the table I have plastic maxi bins for buckles etc and on top of these there is a shelf that has holes for storing small hand tools I don't use all the time. Against the wall I have various patterns and next to this I have tools on peg board that don't fit on the benches elsewhere ( wrenches, mallets etc)

My various edge stains are in empty plastic yoghurt containers. To avoid the inevitable knock over, the stain container I am using at the time, I place in the plastic travel coffee mug as it has a very wide and stable base.

Depending On what I am making, I either use my stitching horse or sit at the main bench and use the set of clams that sit in a loop on the front of the main bench.

Barra

long_bench_1.JPG

post-1669-1225265949_thumb.jpg

Edited by barra

This is my home made stitching horse. On the front I have mounted my splitter. Not ideal but it works. I can easily remove it and I have a place to put down tools. Behind this is my draw down stand and leathers stored in plastic garbage bins. These are easy to move out of the way when the draw down is in use.

Barra

stitch_horse_1.JPG

post-1669-1225268409_thumb.jpg

Edited by barra

This is my stamp bench. Not exactly what I want but it works for now. I have utilised the actual treadle base from the Jones. My stamps are grouped together in plastic cups, geometrics in one, bevellers in another etc. These cups are inside the red folgers coffee container (keeps them out of the air and rust). The stamps I want for a particular job come out of the folgers container and sit in the small wooden box just behind the speaker. This makes for easy finding of the tool i want. On top of the stamp stone is a sheet of plastic vybac. This is the stuff used for windows in the hoods of buggies and convertables as well as cafe blinds. I use this vybac to lay on top of cased leather to delay moisture loss when I have stopped stamping to top up the coffee or get side tracked with the football or cricket game on the teeny tiny TV.

Barra

stamp_bench.JPG

post-1669-1225269500_thumb.jpg

Edited by barra

Just an overall view.

Barra

bench_1.JPG

post-1669-1225271152_thumb.jpg

This is my stamp bench. Not exactly what I want but it works for now. I have utilised the actual treadle base from the Jones. My stamps are grouped together in plastic cups, geometrics in one, bevellers in another etc. These cups are inside the red folgers coffee container (keeps them out of the air and rust). The stamps I want for a particular job come out of the folgers container and sit in the small wooden box just behind the speaker. This makes for easy finding of the tool i want. On top of the stamp stone is a sheet of plastic vybac. This is the stuff used for windows in the hoods of buggies and convertables as well as cafe blinds. I use this vybac to lay on top of cased leather to delay moisture loss when I have stopped stamping to top up the coffee or get side tracked with the football or cricket game on the teeny tiny TV.

Barra

Looking at that Jones machine stand you've given me a good idea for an old original Singer 7-5 stand ( that actually has pedals ),I have out in the backyard. It would make a good little bench for something because it's solid and only needs a top.

Tony.

Edited by tonyc1

2008_1216chickens0012.JPG2008_1216chickens0007.JPG2008_1216chickens0015.JPG

2008_1216chickens0014.JPG

Came across an older post about shops. Mine is fairly humble,and not nearly as productive as you guys' but here's where I putter, and do my damage. Have'nt ever posted pics before, and everyone says its a challenge, but I'll try...

If I did this right, I also added a knife I made this year, because my Stohlman wouldn't seem to sharpen.

post-4990-1229537464_thumb.jpg

post-4990-1229537530_thumb.jpg

post-4990-1229537553_thumb.jpg

post-4990-1229537627_thumb.jpg

Dually,

You keep that up, and you'll be in the knife business!

Mike

I have stolen an idea of a couple of photo's ans sunk my marble block into the bench. Works well. Cheer's Darryl

Image169.jpg

post-7179-1229599022_thumb.jpg

Here's my shop in Brooklyn NY.

I spend a lot of time here. It's a mile from my apartment which seems to work well for me. It's close enough that I can walk or skateboard to work and far enough that I'm not consumed with work alone. I can see the Empire state and chrylsler bldgs and a good bit of the manhattan skyline from my windows.

Sorta like having a mountainview... but not!

Cheers!

Freddie

DSC04136.JPGDSCN0076.jpg

post-4893-1231051811_thumb.jpg

post-4893-1231051862_thumb.jpg

Nice! I love the flooring. Lots of space, very well arranged. Lots of wall space. Good lighting. Did you build your own benches? What did you use for the tops? They look very sturdy. I can see why you'd spend a lot of time there.

Wow. Brooklyn! You must really pay a lot for the rent there. Location with a view! Can't beat that. I bet that was not easy to find at any price.

I work out of my home and I know what you mean. I'm always out there in the shop and the phone can ring at any time of day or night. But, it has it's benefits too. I have a short walk to the frig and the bar.... anytime I feel like it. heheh

Thanks for sharing.

Great looking workshop... i would love to see the outside of the building.

Here is My home on the range.

Josh

P.S. thats me, the space is biger than it looks just remeber that I am 6.4 and 225 so that takes up some space

Shop_1.JPG

Shop_2.JPG

Shop_3.JPG

Shop_12.JPG

post-6549-1231116952_thumb.jpg

post-6549-1231116971_thumb.jpg

post-6549-1231116991_thumb.jpg

post-6549-1231117006_thumb.jpg

Edited by jbird