Jordan

How about Pictures of Your Workshops

My Daughter was visiting for Turkey Day, and since her hobby is photography, she took some in my shop. I'm including the one she sent me. I use it for wallpaper on the PC now.

Actual pictures of my environment, including what is really going, instead of what my skilled daughter manage to create, are on the second page of this thread.

I have actually cleaned up since those, but then I got messy again...lol

PICT0303.jpg

post-5140-1231118657_thumb.jpg

I'd be ashamed to show a picture of where I'm working now after looking at these great work shops. I'm working out of an approximately 5' X 8' area. It's functional, sort of, and hopefully just temporary.

Butch

Here's mine.. :)

Shop11_16_08.JPG

Shop11_16_08a.JPG

post-7221-1234375822_thumb.jpg

post-7221-1234375834_thumb.jpg

I saw this link a while back when I was looking for storage ideas. My garage has a wall that is adjacent to my bedroom and since my prime tooling hours on my days off are my wife's prime sleeping hours (I'm a bartender) I could never get anything done. Also, my garage if full of greasy automotive stuff and sawdusty woodworking stuff, so it's a bit messy for nice leather. Solution: build a shed. So now I have an 8x8 workspace/hideout in my backyard and get lots more done. It's still not finished, i.e trim, braces and locks, solid footing, but hey, what workspaces are.

IMG_2105.JPG

needs trim and paint

IMG_2101.JPG

IMG_2102.JPG

IMG_2103.JPG

I inherited about half of my tools from my grandfather. A lot of the stamps are made from nails or otherwise impossible to find replacements for, so I have to keep them mobile so when I stop for the night, I can pack them in the toolbox and take them into the house with me.

IMG_2104.JPGjust threw this one in cause it's a neat copy of an unpublished photo of Nudie and the King(he's not looking at him in the published one). My friend is Nudie's nephew and he gave it to me, and being that Nudie was a leather tooler himself, I thought it appropriate.

post-8774-1234853858_thumb.jpg

post-8774-1234853873_thumb.jpg

post-8774-1234853902_thumb.jpg

post-8774-1234853908_thumb.jpg

post-8774-1234854815_thumb.jpg

How bout some closeups of those flipflops.

We like to lovingly refer to them as "Jerusalem Cruisers"! :Holysheep:

"god bless Larry Flint"...........how is the ole boy theese days. :banana:

Here's my basement shop after I cleaned and rearranged it. If you can't tell, my workbench is two 4'x2'x12" platforms stacked on top of each other. It's about the right height, but it's rough on the knees.

You can see part of my beauty school head collection in the upper right of the picture :)

whatdoyouthink.gif

workshop.jpg

post-6347-1235075702_thumb.jpg

Here is my little hole in the wall.

Jake

Looks like you closed in your porch. Very good idea!

My workshop is located in our basement. The thing I love the most about it is that in the summer, no matter what the temperature is outside, it's always 65 degrees (F) down there!

I have all the tools mounted on one wall. On the opposite side of the room is my "stitching corner" where I do all my hand-sewing.

This room didn't use to be so large. There used to be two rooms there, neither of which was as large as I wanted. So... the work bench in the pictureMy_Leathershop_001.jpgMy_Leathershop_002.jpg was made from lumber I recycled after removing the wall.

post-8035-1235094858_thumb.jpg

post-8035-1235095059_thumb.jpg

fine looking shop........very neat. love the Muzzleloading Guns on the wall.

This was my shop:

Was? As in,... past tense?

My workshop is located in our basement. The thing I love the most about it is that in the summer, no matter what the temperature is outside, it's always 65 degrees (F) down there!

I have all the tools mounted on one wall. On the opposite side of the room is my "stitching corner" where I do all my hand-sewing.

This room didn't use to be so large. There used to be two rooms there, neither of which was as large as I wanted. So... the work bench in the picture was made from lumber I recycled after removing the wall.

Now that is one of the best looking shops I've seen! The wood paneling and flooring and those turned table legs on your bench....., even got it decorated like a north woods hunting lodge! That ain't a shop, that's a friggin living room.

I do have a question, though. I don't see a lot of support on your carving station table top other than that turned leg. Do you get much bounce?

Was? As in,... past tense?

We moved to a new location not long ago and are still getting things arranged and set up. Moving all of that equipment, etc., and getting it set up to function again is not a lot of fun. :no:

Edited by K-Man

We moved to a new location not long ago and are still getting things arranged and set up. Moving all of that equipment, etc., and getting it set up to function again is not a lot of fun. :no:

Whew.... I was afraid you had become another victim of the Clinton Era Depression, as our current economic fiasco will one day come to be known.

Brent:

I only use the corner area for stitching, so bounce isn't an issue.

For stamping, I have a heavy metal plate mounted on 2x6 legs. I made it the same height as my work bench, so the bench can support the leather while I stamp it. Since it sits on a concrete floor, there's no bounce. As a bonus, I can use the metal plate for clinching tacks when I need to use them for temporarily holding together leather before stitching. I covered the metal plate with a layer of heavy packing tape so the wet leather doesn't get stained when I use it.

Here's another view of the shop, showing my work bench and the stamping plate.

My_Leathershop.jpgMy_Leathershop_005.jpg

post-8035-1235145198_thumb.jpg

post-8035-1235145366_thumb.jpg

My "shop" is on "Momma's" antique dining room table right now because my work bench in the garage is covered up with motorcycle parts and other very important stuff! If I drop something heavy or sharp on that table I'll be looking for a new home!

My_shop.jpg

post-8289-1235255479_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arturo

ugg!! I'm soooo jealous of all you guys! I live alone in a stinkin townhouse, not from choice, but because my job is in the city. So my "shop" is on one side of my bedroom wall. machines, machines, i want a machine! been doin it by hand for at least 150 years!

I tried to take pics, but camera says batteries no workie. And I have to find the thingy that plugs the camera into the puter. and how do you upload a pic that isn't so big that puter says no way jose, what were you thinkin!

and duke, your little saying had me laughing so hard i scared the cat so bad she ran and hid and hasn't come out yet!

Here's my little work space. I do almost everything on this bench. It's way past time to expand and update, but for now this is where I spend my time. I have a couple sewing machines and some storage on the opposite wall. I've really enjoyed looking at everyone elses shops...lots of great ideas!

Shop__L_.jpgBench__L_.jpg

post-7682-1236025829_thumb.jpg

post-7682-1236025847_thumb.jpg

Edited by hidepounder

That's very well done I like your round knife sheaths and the way you have laid it out very good.

Josh

Her :head_hurts_kr: e's my little work space. I do almost everything on this bench. It's way past time to expand and update, but for now this is where I spend my time. I have a couple sewing machines and some storage on the opposite wall. I've really enjoyed looking at everyone elses shops...lots of great ideas!

Here's my little work space. I do almost everything on this bench. It's way past time to expand and update, but for now this is where I spend my time. I have a couple sewing machines and some storage on the opposite wall. I've really enjoyed looking at everyone elses shops...lots of great ideas!

I really like your tool block. Did you make that yourself or have it made? How big are the holes for the tools and how is it fastened to the wall? I could use something like that. My mouth is watering.

Doug

I really like your tool block. Did you make that yourself or have it made? How big are the holes for the tools and how is it fastened to the wall? I could use something like that. My mouth is watering.

Doug

Hi Doug...yes I did make it...several pieces of scrap oak, drilled with 3/4" holes. Mounted with flathead screws from the back. All of the wood slots and blocks and the backboard are made of oak which had a white pickled finish. It's been modified and so many times over the years that you can't tell from the photos. The top of the bench is open in the back so that large pieces of leather can hang over the back. The top is a scrap piece of laboratory counter top that I scrounged up somewhere. I tool right on it. It needs to be a solid granite top, however, which is what I'll do on the next one.I welded the frame out of 1-1/2" steel tubing which is set on heavy duty swivel casters. The flourescent and the track lights are mounted on a frame which telescopes up out of the back panel. I also integrated a light switch and utility outlets right into the bench with a heavy duty cord to plug into an outlet. The reason for all this was so that the flourescent light could be lowered and the whole bench could be wheeled thru a standard door opening. Just plug in and I'm ready to go. It's very easy to move around if I need to. Unfortunately I've seriously outgrown it!

So this is where those masterpieces are turned out. I'd like to have just a little of the mojo those tools must have. Nice lay out friend.

This room didn't use to be so large. There used to be two rooms there, neither of which was as large as I wanted. So... the work bench in the pictureMy_Leathershop_001.jpgMy_Leathershop_002.jpg was made from lumber I recycled after removing the wall.

Nice shop Amigo. East Washington huh? We're practically neighbors.