ABHandmade

WIP. The first attempt to emboss the human face

4 hours ago, Northmount said:

Really fantastic work.  Inspiring to us all.  I've only done a small amount of figure carving.  Will take me centuries to get to your level of accomplishment.

Tom

Thank you, Sir! :blush:

4 hours ago, JLSleather said:

And there lies part of the talent... ONE thing to make " a portrait".  ANOTHER thing to make an accurate, recognizable representation of a specific person.  

AB → this looks great.. if I can ask... can we get a picture with some perspective?  I think it would help folks 'round here to see the EMBOSSING you did here, maybe make more sense to some folks (plus, for those of us who "get" it and would love to see it anyway).  You know -- like a pic taken ACROSS the carving to show the "topography" of it....

Thank you, Sir! :blush:
Unfortunately, I have already insert the work into the frame that prevents me make a photo that fully demonstrates embossing.
I am personally fascinated by how the facial expression changes when the angle of view changes. Perhaps that is why I like embossing so much.

hf3.jpghf5.jpghf4.jpg

One thing I do that may help is I play with the contrast and exposure in my photo editor to ensure I can see all the details I want.  Sometimes detail is lost in photos and our brains filter the info to make the pic look correct.  In other words, we see what isn't there.  Photo editing allows that info to be printed and therefore transferred to the paper.

7 hours ago, immiketoo said:

Yes, we shall see how the finish fares.  Hopefully you've found a solution.  As for your background, that's doubly impressive.  Ian more than happy to offer whatever help I can, but I doubt you'll need much in the future.  Stay in touch and we can talk about hair and eyebrows!

Mike, thank you so much!

2 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

One thing I do that may help is I play with the contrast and exposure in my photo editor to ensure I can see all the details I want.  Sometimes detail is lost in photos and our brains filter the info to make the pic look correct.  In other words, we see what isn't there.  Photo editing allows that info to be printed and therefore transferred to the paper.

Thank you for advice, Mike! I'll try to play in the editor, as you described.

1 hour ago, immiketoo said:

Mike, your advice really works great! In the photo I used, it helps especially well to look at hair and hairstyle.
Thanks again!

The second attempt.

Carving & embossing. Alcohol dye + Acrylic paint.

wf2_3.jpg

In this photo you can get an idea of the depth of the bas-relief.

wf2_2.jpg

Edited by ABHandmade

Absolutely stunning work. The model ain't to bad either.

Wow.  That is absolutely stunning.  

3 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

Absolutely stunning work. The model ain't to bad either.

Thank you, @Rockoboy. And I completely agree with the opinion regarding the model.

2 hours ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Wow.  That is absolutely stunning.  

Thank you! I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

Great looking work.

Again.

:cheers:

Pretty damned awesome yet again @ABHandmade.

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

Great looking work.

Again.

:cheers:

Thank you, Sir.

Cheer! :)

DSC_0105.JPG

1 hour ago, battlemunky said:

Pretty damned awesome yet again @ABHandmade.

:blush:

Thank you, @battlemunky!