ABHandmade

WIP. The first attempt to emboss the human face

After training on animals and flowers, I decided to try to perform a carving of a person's face.
This work still in the process, but I would like to hear critical remarks (For which I will be very grateful)  - there is still an opportunity to make adjustments. 

hf1.jpg

Looks pretty good. The human face is as difficult to portray in any medium as a Horse's body. 

Smooth with a smoothing spoon, they are your friend as you know from doing animals.

Ferg

6 minutes ago, Ferg said:

Looks pretty good. The human face is as difficult to portray in any medium as a Horse's body. 

Smooth with a smoothing spoon, they are your friend as you know from doing animals.

Ferg

Sir, thank you for advice.

Wow that is awesome!

It looks incredible. I don't know the first thing about embossing.

AB Handmade, I saw this book on special on Tandy's download site. Is that one of the books you use as a reference?  I know you mentioned Stohlman's figure carving books as one of your inspirations!

https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/product/1124/the-art-of-embossing-leather-by-al-and-ann-stohlman

Edited by Sheilajeanne

6 hours ago, Bigfoote said:

Wow that is awesome!

6 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

It looks incredible. I don't know the first thing about embossing.

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

AB Handmade, I saw this book on special on Tandy's download site. Is that one of the books you use as a reference?  I know you mentioned Stohlman's figure carving books as one of your inspirations!

https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/product/1124/the-art-of-embossing-leather-by-al-and-ann-stohlman

Sheila,  Yes, this is the book I mentioned. Magnificent book!

That's so good its creepy, like a ghost coming out of a sheet of leather, wish i had your skills

Edited by chrisash

3 hours ago, chrisash said:

That's so good its creepy, like a ghost coming out of a sheet of leather, wish i had your skills

Thank you. 

I hope that in the process of completing the embossing I nothing has spoiled.

hf2.jpg

I know nothing about embossing leather but clearly you know a good bit. Your stuff is amazing @ABHandmade and being your first human face, you have set the bar pretty high for yourself (and anyone else who tries this). Super cool, I can't wait to see what you do for finish.

Excellent job, something I have never even contemplated. I read somewhere that getting the eyes right is the hardest part.

10 hours ago, ABHandmade said:
15 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Sheila,  Yes, this is the book I mentioned. Magnificent book!

So, uh...hint, hint...if anyone wants to try doing this, the book is on sale right now! I've used Stohlman's Figure Carving Finesse books with excellent results, and am definitely going to download this book, too!

And re. artistic talent, I just want to say this. I am e-friends with someone who could make her living as a professional artist. Her main craft is writing books, though. She does enter her paintings in art shows at conventions such as DragonCon, WorldCon, etc. and has won major awards, including best in show. Over the years, she has seen many artists with skills and ability superior to hers fall by the wayside and disappear. The key, she said, is to KEEP ON TRYING! Don't give up!  As she says in her tips for aspiring artists:

Recognize that drawing is a mechanical skill - with effort and applied practice, anyone can learn to be competent. People who say they can't draw, are usually people who have no desire to draw. Whether you're a genius at the outset does not matter - I've seen the workmanlike artisan walk past the gifted talent who fails to keep painting, every time!

I used to do sketches of my favourite movie, TV and rock stars when I was in my teens, and some of them turned out pretty well, though it took me hours to get them right. She once posted one of HER first sketches from her teen years. (She didn't leave it up for long, as she was ashamed of it.)

Heck, MY stuff, even my not-so-good stuff was WAY better! It was a great encouragement to me to keep on trying. I didn't really enjoy the sketching once I got older, but the leather carving is different, as I am doing something that is both useful and has artistic value.

There. That's my sermon for the day! :lol: 

Edited by Sheilajeanne

4 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

Excellent job, something I have never even contemplated. I read somewhere that getting the eyes right is the hardest part.

5 hours ago, battlemunky said:

I know nothing about embossing leather but clearly you know a good bit. Your stuff is amazing @ABHandmade and being your first human face, you have set the bar pretty high for yourself (and anyone else who tries this). Super cool, I can't wait to see what you do for finish.

2 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

So, uh...hint, hint...if anyone wants to try doing this, the book is on sale right now! I've used Stohlman's Figure Carving Finesse books with excellent results, and am definitely going to download this book, too!

And re. artistic talent, I just want to say this. I am e-friends with someone who could make her living as a professional artist. Her main craft is writing books, though. She does enter her paintings in art shows at conventions such as DragonCon, WorldCon, etc. and has won major awards, including best in show. Over the years, she has seen many artists with skills and ability superior to hers fall by the wayside and disappear. The key, she said, is to KEEP ON TRYING! Don't give up!  As she says in her tips for aspiring artists:

I used to do sketches of my favourite movie, TV and rock stars when I was in my teens, and some of them turned out pretty well, though it took me hours to get them right. She once posted one of HER first sketches from her teen years. (She didn't leave it up for long, as she was ashamed of it.)

Heck, MY stuff, even my not-so-good stuff was WAY better! It was a great encouragement to me to keep on trying. I didn't really enjoy the sketching once I got older, but the leather carving is different, as I am doing something that is both useful and has artistic value.

There. That's my sermon for the day! :lol: 

Thank you! 

I say to my daughter - I think we set the bar ourselves. You can put it on the same level as yesterday, and consider that this is the limit. As a result, the progress of any abilities (or their sprouts) simply stops. And you can always raise it a little higher and try to take a new height. Not necessarily it will be overcome immediately. But, if you do not try, then nothing happens. 

But I myself do not always follow these words :)

Sheila, I hope to see your work soon. I think we can learn something from each other.

Wise words, AB!

That would be really cool for us to exchange a piece of our work...now, I need to get off the computer and GET BUSY!!

The main thing holding me back in my leather work is procrastination, especially now that I am retired!  :unsure:

I don't emboss -- just aint got much use for it myself.  I have done it - back in the 80's - and did own that stohlman book about plugs n such.  

STILL, I can recognize skills even though it "aint my thing", and your depiction looks quite good.  Er ya fixinta color it?  Cuz I'd really like to see that!

NICE WORK!

On 9/23/2018 at 1:37 PM, ABHandmade said:

consider that this is the limit. As a result, the progress of any abilities (or their sprouts) simply stops. And you can always raise it a little higher and try to take a new height.

True.  I got a buddy who is an AVID (all the time) runner.  He always says 'if you want to be good at running two miles, you have to practice running FIVE"

Which is why I sit for at least 6-8 hours a day. It makes my couch time that much easier to pull off! 
:D

29 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

I don't emboss -- just aint got much use for it myself.  I have done it - back in the 80's - and did own that stohlman book about plugs n such.  

STILL, I can recognize skills even though it "aint my thing", and your depiction looks quite good.  Er ya fixinta color it?  Cuz I'd really like to see that!

NICE WORK!

Sir, this comment from you means a lot to me! Thank you!
I'm just now doing the coloring process and I will definitely share the result.
And thanks again! The response of a professional like you inspires me.

Aw, shucks :blush: 

This great lookin' work right here is YERS!

Work done.

Coloring is done with alcohol dyes.
Finish - matt polyurethane lacquer.

wp1.jpg

:jawdropper:  LOVE teh subtle coloring!  Makes ALL that floral stuff look, ... well.... less.

No words for how awesome that is!

Did you use a photo as a reference?

Yeah, the word 'awesome' sets the appreciation bar rather on the low side... That is way beyond superior! Wow! Man, I felt like I knew her when she looked me in the eye like that...

41 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

:jawdropper:  LOVE teh subtle coloring!  Makes ALL that floral stuff look, ... well.... less.

Thank  you, Sir! 

Probably, if I, apart from the brush, used an airbrush for coloring, it would be possible to improve something. Although, on the other hand, coloring only with a brush looks more hand-crafted, so to speak?

Is that Cameron Diaz?

My god man that is really amazing work AB!

45 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

No words for how awesome that is!

Did you use a photo as a reference?

Thank you, Sheila.

Yes, I used the photo as a reference. I am very far from those who have the talent to draw something from memory (I do not know how to say it in English more correctly).