Itch

Slap or blackjack ..

Does anyone have any info about a slap or blackjack as they were called back in the day? They were a type of weapon that would get your attention pretty quickly from what I understand . They would have a steel plate or steel shot in the end and sometimes have a coil spring for a handle all wrapped in leather .. Thank you Itch ..

3 minutes ago, Itch said:

Does anyone have any info about a slap or blackjack as they were called back in the day? They were a type of weapon that would get your attention pretty quickly from what I understand . They would have a steel plate or steel shot in the end and sometimes have a coil spring for a handle all wrapped in leather .. Thank you Itch ..

Very much the same idea behind what the German Polizei use today, it is a short rubber billy-club styled device that is spring loaded and when it goes to town on you it is staying the night.  More modern is the sap gloves; a full leather glove that has a large band of shot built-in along the primary knuckle line.  These things are effective (have used them when deployed in those less than desirable locations of the planet) because you never know what you are going to run into.  Don't know where you would find any patterns though but you I am sure that you can find them out there somewhere.

Is this what you're looking for?  

I expect lead shot might be hard to come by, but BBs would probably work as well.

- Bill

I have been making  Jack Saps  for many years. I would sell them at Gun Shows as novelty items. These Saps are filled with lead shot and hand sewn. There is not a big demand for these in most states they are Illegal to carry but they are a very good self defense weapon.

IMG_1767.jpg

IMG_1765.jpg

You can also pack them with sand so still enough to knock someone out but not crack their scull

I did some research and was amazed at the history of these simple and early forms of self protection. They seem to vary in style and pretty much just what they had available at the time . I see where Smith and  Wesson made them for a time ..

I thought a black jack could be just a sock filled with sand...

13 hours ago, billybopp said:

I expect lead shot might be hard to come by, but BBs would probably work as well.

- Bill

I’d be trying the local gunshop, they sell lead shot for home reloading shotgun shells.

mark

I made one once.
It's just two pieces pancaked and filled with lead shot. It's heavy but surprisingly well balanced.

sap1 200x133.jpg

sap2 200x133.jpg

sap3 200x133.jpg

Palm slaps are pretty popular too!. Greenman leather makes different types. Interesting stuff