Albob

Sometimes you just need to laugh it off

You know how it is, you get going on a project, you're making progress and you even like the color and the liner. Then you see it, there it is right there staring you in the face. It's a small mistake made at the worse time possible.

You have a choice, you can cry, throw your coffee mug or worse your last ice cold beer. Or you can just call yourself a dummy and laugh it off. I'm laughing now but I sure I'm going to miss that coffee mug.

small mistake.jpg

I feel your pain!  Maybe you can rivet the corners of the card slot!

Gary

I thought it was the scratch on the card slots, then I scrolled up...Had to be on the part with your maker's mark...just so everyone knows exactly who dun it!

Riveting would actually work, though. 

Jeff

Simple solution; insert a thin piece of mdf, use chisels to cut stitching holes, use curved needle to sew

That doesn't sound like fun, though. I'd just throw another mug. 

Probably take 15 mins, maybe 20 mins to sew up

6 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

That doesn't sound like fun, though. I'd just throw another mug. 

This is the best answer so far guys, well it made me laugh.

I came up with a fixed that worked for me, I'll put it in the discount bin when I go vend at the swap meet. For now, here's wat I came up with and I even like it better this way.

fixed.jpg

??  I don't understand what you did. Did you rip out all the stitches from that side of the wallet, then resew? Hand stitch it, so you used the same holes as before? 

Alpha, I thought the same thing, and was wondering why a scratch could be such a big deal!  :lol:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

45 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

??  I don't understand what you did. Did you rip out all the stitches from that side of the wallet, then resew? Hand stitch it, so you used the same holes as before? 

Alpha, I thought the same thing, and was wondering why a scratch could be such a big deal!  :lol:

SJ, basically that's exactly what I did. I took out the stitching along the bottom and up the sides about a third of the way and replaced the card slot with a full width bill/document slot.

I did not hand stitch it but I was able to hit the same holes with my machine (Cowboy 3200)

Yeah I can see where you would be PO'ed. I like you design though , however, it would be hard to keep cards in a slot opening on its side.

But I would be more concerned on the sloppy stitching. There are ways to fix the missed card holder.

But the stitching says,  that you really don't know much about your sewing machine.

The thread tension needs to be adjusted every time you change threads and thread weight. You didn't, and that's why you have the pulled up thread on the card slots. It looks sloppy and unprofessional.

There's nothing worse than having a machine and not getting the results it's capable of.

If my review  offends you I apologie now. But you need to know these things if you truely intend to sell leather items in the very competitive world of leather goods. Keep going, ' cause there's always room for another maker.

Well look on the bright side... you just found a way to add a variant of an existing pattern to your product offerings, which might appeal to some more people:)

Albob, I'm guessing that your aim is getting better with your coffee cups ?  Besides, coffee cups are cheaper than  cans / stubbies of iced cold beer  :rofl:

Its no consolation , but "  yep .....been there, done that " .  I've made the devil blush  a few times  :)  

You have  a  ' bargain bin '  too eh ?  Mine is actually an old basket full of ' mistooks' , shop soiled  stuff , and   and stuff that I've made that is .....well....... crap :) But,  people seem to buy it . 

HS 

On 9/24/2018 at 7:23 AM, Handstitched said:

You have  a  ' bargain bin '  too eh ?  Mine is actually an old basket full of ' mistooks' , shop soiled  stuff , and   and stuff that I've made that is .....well....... crap :) But,  people seem to buy it . 

HS 

Oh... folks buy that stuff??? and here I've been cuttin it up to use as glue spreaders...

YinTx

Do you sell patterns of your wallet, or may I just eyeball it and fudge something together? I was just talking about your bandana back and how cool it is. 

10 hours ago, YinTx said:

Oh... folks buy that stuff??? and here I've been cuttin it up to use as glue spreaders...

I mark the prices down , with  ' Reduced'  or ' 1/2 Price'    signage etc .  They see something  in the bargain bin and say,

" oooooh....aaaah ...look at the work in that !!"  

My  silent thought bubble pops up with , " yeh ....look at the frustration,  the blood sweat & tears, the little scratches from where it got thrown a few times ... if only that thing could talk  " :censored2:

Yep,it sells,  even if just covers the cost of materials or part thereof  ...or at least a  few ice cold beers  :) 

HS 

5 hours ago, Handstitched said:

My  silent thought bubble pops up with , " yeh ....look at the frustration,  the blood sweat & tears, the little scratches from where it got thrown a few times ... if only that thing could talk  " :censored2:

Yep, been there LOL

Despite the frustration, I still think the end result came together very well... Nice save!