JLSleather

Barry King dot so-what

I just received a barry king 1/2" swivel knife and straight blade.  Was sent to me by another fella what works with leather (I'll let him chime in if he wants his name used here).  NOT that I don't appreciate the thought (unless, or course, the thought was that my carving needs some help ;) ), but at $70 I'm gonna say this knife is overpriced about triple. 

Doesn't seem to be any nicer than my $20 knives from S-T leather.  Well, it's brass (or maybe bronze), so it may be more corrosion-resistant than my steel barrel ones. So maybe just DOUBLE overpriced. 

Machining looks good, but nothing a first year machinist student couldn't have done.  Or if it's already programmed in the (CNC) controller, my SISTER could stand there and watch it spit out.

Some of their geometric stamps look pretty good (from pics - I don't have any of them here), but if this knife is characteristic of the quality I can expect, maybe I won't try the stamps after all...

My phone died and the wife isn't back with the replacement just yet, or I'd call and find out if I can just return this myself from here and have em refund HIS card billing.  

So wait...Someone sent you a knife as a gift and you want to send it back to Barry for a refund to the giver?  

RIght.  IF I wouldn't spend MY money on it, then I certainly wouldn't spend YOURS on it.

No trouble.. got a new phone up and working now, I'll just call in the morning.  A bit arrogant that there's nothing on there site about how to do returns ...

suit yourself -- no matter to me :dunno:

But if not-good reviews aren't "appropriate", then no review is valid.

This is true. Opinions are all valid. Why is Barry King so good a brand it can’t withstand 1 negative critique?

What are your experiences with Barry King products?

Nobody is offended when somebody isn’t happy with Tandy :lol:...

Maybe Barry just had a bad day. We all get colds...

Wow, that got soapboxy. Sorry.:)

on a more positive note, this new samsung note9 is almost TOO fancy

I'm surprised to hear someone complaining about Barry King, but you're darn tootin' right about no one hesitating to badmouth Tandy!! 

Sauce for the goose, and all that...

I'm not actually complaining about the knife.. it's prolly fine.  But no better than others I have which cost about 1/3 the price.

How is the blade, tho?   

dunno -- I sent it back.  

Lol

SOME folks thought this carving looked okay-ish.  Done before I ever saw a "barry king" knife ;)  - and these too

7000.jpgjm.jpg0634.jpg

On September 25, 2018 at 3:31 AM, ScoobyNewbie said:

This is true. Opinions are all valid. Why is Barry King so good a brand it can’t withstand 1 negative critique?

What are your experiences with Barry King products?

Nobody is offended when somebody isn’t happy with Tandy :lol:...

Maybe Barry just had a bad day. We all get colds...

Wow, that got soapboxy. Sorry.:)

This won't even be a blip on the radar for Barry; he will gladly take it back for full price.  And to be honest, its not a negative critique of the knife.  

Yup, email from there says they need the original card number for full refund once they receive the return.

Wow, really? There was nothing even remotely negative in the review. I don't see why it should've even been suggested fro removal. That baffles me far more than the honest opinion of the knife does...

From the look of jls work i guess he qualifies as someone who knows his tools. to be able to do work like shown, so a very valid point

Maybe names were made 10 or 20 plus years ago when the skill requirement was very high to make some items with the result of very high prices, with the advent of CNC machining maybe the old skills are  now only as good as the machine making them and its programmer and costs to make are far cheaper.

Just a point of view

Name.... same goes for tractors. Just get quotes on different brands and look at the difference. Same size tractor 4 wheel drive loader etc. 

Now somebody here seemed to get mad cause Jeff didn’t want the knife... why? Was the knife sent to you? No it wasn’t. I sent it to Jeff. If Jeff wants to keep it, good. If not, good. It’s his decision. I’m not here to bad mouth anyone but I can see the point Jeff has made. I’m not a carver. Had some extra money and wanted to try improve my skills. Bought me a knife. Works same as the el cheapo. I sent Jeff one to show appreciation for the help he’s given me. With that being said..

I have a Barry King knife for sale with a 1/2” barrel with 3/8” straight blade. $60 I cover shipping. :P

Keep on keeping on Jeff! Your work speaks for itself. I ain’t offended by it. I got my big boy britches on today! B)

54 minutes ago, chrisash said:

advent of CNC machining maybe the old skills are  now only as good as the machine making them and its programmer

i got some buddies out of work because of that.  I survived it because I know the programming end, and the CAD and CAM involved. But yeah -- what used to pay $23-28 per hour has been largely replaced by a high school kid getting $9 to watch the machine and hit that red emergency button when something goes wrong ;)

12 minutes ago, Clintock said:

ame goes for tractors. Just get quotes on different brands and look at the difference

Must be sum kinda redneck thing.. tractors same as swivel knives? :o

12 minutes ago, Clintock said:

Had some extra money a

I'm SO jealous. Never seen any "extra" money. 

But it AINT about the money.  As a matter of principle, I do not care to PAY MORE for something that ISN'T MORE.  If it was NICER than some I already have, I would say so.  

And while I didn't set out to offend by not accepting what was intended as a gift, I know he's too far away ta punch me in da eye ;)  

Maybe he tryin'a tell me my carvin' need sum werk ?@!

Edited by JLSleather

I have a BK swivel knife.  I hated it when I got it, and thought the same as Jeff's original statement. . . way overpriced.  I had been using a Gore swivel knife, and was used to that.  I have used the BK knife a good bit in the last couple years, thinking I need to give it another chance, and I actually do like the knife better, or I should say the blade better than I did at first.  The knife itself, well, I much prefer my Gore knife.

Regarding Barry's stamping tools, they are the best I've tried.  There was an immediate improvement in my tooling when I started using his bevelers. Most of my stamping tools to that point were Crafttool mid '80's and later, and as everyone knows, they didn't get better as time went on.  Barry's tools do seem high when comparing to Crafttools, but I honestly can't do even a passable job of tooling with the Craftools, so I just save my pennies and every once in awhile, put in an order to Barry.  I'm not saying a really good tooler can't get good results from cheaper stamps, because obviously, Jeff has done just that. But I think the better stamps make it easier for an average tooler to get good results, and  I'll be the first to admit, my tooling is just average at best.

I don't really see what the purpose of this thread is?

You think Barry King swivel knifes are too expensive? Oh dot well.

That being said, is someone buys you a Robert Beard swivel knife just PM for my address. I'll pay for shipping.

2 hours ago, Clintock said:

Now somebody here seemed to get mad cause Jeff didn’t want the knife... why? Was the knife sent to you? No it wasn’t. I sent it to Jeff. If Jeff wants to keep it, good. If not, good. It’s his decision. I’m not here to bad mouth anyone but I can see the point Jeff has made. I’m not a carver. Had some extra money and wanted to try improve my skills. Bought me a knife. Works same as the el cheapo. I sent Jeff one to show appreciation for the help he’s given me. With that being said..

I have a Barry King knife for sale with a 1/2” barrel with 3/8” straight blade. $60 I cover shipping. :P

Keep on keeping on Jeff! Your work speaks for itself. I ain’t offended by it. I got my big boy britches on today! B)

Mad?  Not hardly.  I just wonder why someone would return a gift that was given out of appreciation due to a perceived lack of quality.  Seems to me that it would be something worth holding on to as a thank you, but I am a more sentimental man than most.  I still have the little trinkets children gave of out of appreciation when I was a police officer.  They may not remember it, but I do.  To each their own.

Just bookmark the page.. so anybody sending me a beard knife will know to just send on to you.  Assuming Bob is a darn decent fella (and he may be, I owuldn't know) in teh end the name don't carry no weight round here.  I also don't own any al stohlman brand stuff. :dunno:

If it helps you, or even if it do'nt but you like to have it anyway, have at 'er. I'm not ordering one, so you sure kin have the one that aint mine ;)

Sometimes I offer a little experience (even "bad" ones) that might help a fella.  If YOU can learn from MY mistakes, this is good.  But if I was going to attach a price to it, I would say that up front. 

Big Souix, your opinion has value at my place.. 'preciatcha keepin' an eye on me ;)

To return to normal programming - as in something leather which is profitable, inspiring, or informational -- EVERYBODY should see 

It is all a matter of preference. Like Hand tools, Snap-On is about the standard yet Harbor Freight is usually a tenth of the price and does the same job. And, honestly sometimes better, REALLY!

What it always comes down to is the SKILL, Knowledge and Experience. If one thinks a Name Brand will improve their work then it usually does. BK makes AWESOME tools, Stamps yet, they aren't for everybody. I was and am surprised by some of the sniping in this thread. But we all have our opinions so let it out, move on and everyone enjoy the craft as we all learn and grow. Rather we are using Bob the Builder Swivel Knives or BK's. What works WORKS and that's that!

Rusty