Order and Chaos

Cutting extra thick leather

This may seem like a silly question, but here we go anyways...

I recently started on a project for a friend that required some of the parts to be made from sole bend leather. Extra thick leather (16 oz. & thicker), that the beginning of arthritis in my fingers doesn't appreciate dealing with. As I'm trying to knife my way through the sole bend, I'm thinking this stuff is almost as hard as wood, and that's when I decided to try taking the leather over to the scroll saw that I use for cutting out forms, and it happily buzzed right through the sole bend leaving me with a perfect 90 degree square edge that smoothed right out with a bit of careful sanding. (fine tooth blade, saw speed set to almost minimum to prevent friction burning of the edges)

Here's the question. Is there a better way to cut sole bend? I don't have a clicker press, it would be nice, but most of the stuff I do is one off, no mass production.

I reckon you've discovered one of the best ways.

Two other machines are 1. variable speed saber saw [aka jig-saw,   especially in the UK] 2. bandsaw. for some bandsaws there is available a knife blade specially for leather and rubber cutting

Edited by fredk

Well, I think you've nailed it . If cutting using a knife is  causing discomfort , I can't see any other way. 

My strap cutter  cuts most leathers easily , even when the blade is a bit dull, but, if want to cut leather 5mm + I put a new blade in , glides through nicely , and if I need to cut shapes etc. I sharpen  my blade , or replace with a brand new blade. I don't use a round knife, I find them awkward . I use  a knife same as the one  pictured. When the blade is new its super dooper sharp  and cuts through thick leather with ease, even with a bit of arthritis  that I have in my hands....now :(

And btw, theres no such thing as a silly question on here :) 

HS 

Kingchrome Knife.jpg

Edited by Handstitched

If convenient, soak it up in hot water then cut with ease

I use a band saw with a finer blade. It cuts quickly with no burning of the edge.

13 hours ago, Order and Chaos said:

taking the leather over to the scroll saw that I use for cutting out forms, and it happily buzzed right through the sole bend leaving me with a perfect 90 degree square edge that smoothed right out with a bit of careful sanding. (fine tooth blade, saw speed set to almost minimum to prevent friction burning of the edges)

Here's the question. Is there a better way to cut sole bend?

I am pretty sure you answered your own question at the time you asked that question. You used a tool to do a great job to achieve the effect you wanted. You got repeatable results, safely, at a great cost. What else can a person ask for?

Now ... where can I borrow a scroll saw ...

Coolness... I just wanted to check since I have a severe case of overlooking the obvious solution, but for once I got it right on the first try.

Only downside to this is now I don't have an excuse to go buy another new tool, heh...