YinTx

Small bits of leather = useful item for the cast iron!

Was messing around trying different dye/resist/antique techniques, and ended up with this.  2 birds, one stone!

CastIron1LoRes.thumb.jpeg.970d74f07a497d38cbd61420d0133ba4.jpeg

YinTx

that is brilliant 

2 hours ago, bdpeters said:

that is brilliant 

Thanks, but I can't take credit for the idea.  Saw a set floating around these pages just the other day, and I think his came out nicer, simply because there wasn't any tooling and it just matched nicer.  But, mine still is functional!

YinTx

Really nice stamping, stitching and finish!  Looks kind of wide to me though - like it would be hard to pick up a full, heavy cast iron skillet because you can’t wrap your hand around the handle easily.  Do you think a softer handle material would allow you to better grip and control the pan?

Gary

... So THAT'S what happens to cell phone slip covers when they go to die.   :P

- Bill

Great job on the tooling. I don’t think I would want to put leather on a cast iron skillet. How do you get the grease off it? I would be concerned that the skillet would turn on me. I would like it for My glasses, good job.

jim

10 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Very nice! What did you use for resist

Thanks.  I used Fiebeng's Pro Resist.

5 hours ago, billybopp said:

... So THAT'S what happens to cell phone slip covers when they go to die.   :P

- Bill

Heh, hadn't thought of that.  None of mine have died yet tho... even the one that got soaked in water...

4 hours ago, toe2short said:

Great job on the tooling. I don’t think I would want to put leather on a cast iron skillet. How do you get the grease off it? I would be concerned that the skillet would turn on me. I would like it for My glasses, good job.

jim

Appreciate that.  I've used it a few times, no issue yet.

6 hours ago, garypl said:

Really nice stamping, stitching and finish!  Looks kind of wide to me though - like it would be hard to pick up a full, heavy cast iron skillet because you can’t wrap your hand around the handle easily.  Do you think a softer handle material would allow you to better grip and control the pan?

Gary

Thanks.  This was actually made for a skillet called an Ebelskiver, which has a very wide handle.  I put it on the large skillet because I figure most folks don't have an Ebelskiver.  I have one made out of heavy suede I've been using for some time now, looks as good as the day I made it, no grease stains, etc. and it has worked well.  Trick is, put it on, use it, take it off.  They both hold firm, no worries about rotating skillets, etc.  Of course, if you have a full on 10" deep frying skillet filled up, I don't think I'd be wanting to pick it up and move it around without oven mitts.

EbelskiverHandle.thumb.jpg.c5b45624e08105764cdeaea03fe9d59a.jpg

YinTx

Now I see why it is so wide!  Never seen a skillet like that before - what are the little cups designed to do?

Gary

looked up Ebelskiver and see it is some kind of pancake - looks interesting!

Edited by garypl

8 minutes ago, garypl said:

Now I see why it is so wide!  Never seen a skillet like that before - what are the little cups designed to do?

Gary

Lots of goodies... up to the imagination, I would say.

Ebelskivergoods.png.aa29df42632725a665b4116df2fed0d3.png

YinTx

And here I was thinking that skillet was destined for dealing with escargots... Silly me. :rolleyes:

And that's a very nice sheath / wrap - great tooling! Man, now I'm getting ideas... :-)

I have seen the previous topic on this and have been looking at it, you might consider a heat resistant lining.

I found something on ebay that might be useful, it is called "Si Fibreglass Heat Shield Tube Cable Protection" but unfortunately doesn't go wider then 20mm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-20mm-Si-Fibreglass-Heat-Shield-Tube-Cable-Protection-Sleeving-Red-Black-IL/272756041683?hash=item3f8186e7d3:m:mqR4YG9Pi0HSfkMu_dUTV6w

Edited by LetterT
added link

6 hours ago, LetterT said:

I have seen the previous topic on this and have been looking at it, you might consider a heat resistant lining.

Help me out!  I can't find it again.  Can you link it?  I liked the other better...

Thanks for the pointer on the heat shield, hadn't thought about doing that.  Could be a new thing for me to work out...

YinTx

Oh! I used to make those when my kids were little... never did get a full plate. Always gone before the batter ran out....

10 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Oh! I used to make those when my kids were little... never did get a full plate. Always gone before the batter ran out....

me too. Now I'm thinking 'where did my pan go?' I might have to buy a new one

19 hours ago, garypl said:

and ever so tasty - with or without filling. Great as extras in packed lunches, snack boxes, in-car nibbles . . . .

oh, almost forgot; nice work there YinTX

Edited by fredk

Ok yet another leather working post that is making me hungry!

Nice work all round again.

Nice work and seeing the handle it's made for makes it make more sense.  It looked wide on the skillet.

Beautiful cast iron too BTW.  I really need to dust my skillets off and learn to use them better.

what about using a piece of the silicone flexible cookware material that they make muffin pans and such out of? for a heat shield? also I have been involved with high power rocketry and we use nomex cloth as a heat shield for black powder ejection charges. the only problem is it is a bear to cut.

7 hours ago, fredk said:

oh, almost forgot; nice work there YinTX

Thanks, and easy to understand.  Food distracts me from my work every time.

2 hours ago, rodneywt1180b said:

Beautiful cast iron too BTW.

Thanks.  I keep my good stuff hidden away so the "others" don't ruin it.  Old stuff my parents had, and I used as a kid, nothing compares these days.

42 minutes ago, bdpeters said:

what about using a piece of the silicone flexible cookware material that they make muffin pans and such out of? for a heat shield? also I have been involved with high power rocketry and we use nomex cloth as a heat shield for black powder ejection charges. the only problem is it is a bear to cut.

If I ever find that the leather is an issue, I could line it with something like that pretty readily, I'd think.  Will definitely keep it in mind for future sleeves!

YinTx

I had silicon mittens. They slipped and I got a 3rd degree burn from my knee down, covering my foot.

Bacon grease, very dangerous. :lol:

Seriously, not fun. Be careful with them.

On 9/27/2018 at 3:07 AM, YinTx said:

Help me out!  I can't find it again.  Can you link it?  I liked the other better...

YinTx

I have searched high and low but for the love of God I can not find the other thread.

I remember it was made from one piece of leather folded and riveted at one end and an open flat on the other end, the purpose to make it more flexible for different size of handles.

On 9/28/2018 at 6:32 AM, LetterT said:

I have searched high and low but for the love of God I can not find the other thread.

I remember it was made from one piece of leather folded and riveted at one end and an open flat on the other end, the purpose to make it more flexible for different size of handles.

The one I saw was a very thick leather, slightly formed to the handle.  No stamping other than a maker's mark.  Looked tidy and comfy.  Can't find it either.

On 9/27/2018 at 9:22 PM, ScoobyNewbie said:

I had silicon mittens. They slipped and I got a 3rd degree burn from my knee down, covering my foot.

Bacon grease, very dangerous. :lol:

Seriously, not fun. Be careful with them.

That sounds.... not fun.  I try not to pick up big hot pans if I can avoid it.  Lived that when I was a very young un.  Thankfully water, not grease, still ugly burn.

YinTx

Good idea. Looks great!