Long time I have done anything, years.... Now I've done a handbag from a pattern.
Dyed with Fiebing's pro tan dye, then oiled with neatsfoot (unfortunately compound, the pure was in the shed and I forgot), then finished with resolene.
6oz veg tan leather. Lined with black pig skin.
Turned out a little stiffer than I anticipated. Some say I should oil first (with pure neatsfoot obviously), then dye, not use resolene.
My next project I'm thinking of only using neatsfoot and finish with carnauba creme or mink oil. Any advice is appreciated.
Still happy with it though, it's in use :)

IMG_0430.jpg

Edited by Marietje

Nice work-- look at all that careful, contrasting stitching!
A lovely warm golden brown color, too.

Oooooo now I want one!  I like it!  Show us the next one when its done. :)

YinTx

Looks nice.  I like the warm rich color and the contrasting thread.    

Looks like it could carry some weight.   I may have had enough weight in purses from time to time that could be utilized to bludgeon if needed.

Which pattern is that one?  

What are it's dimensions?

Lieflijk, Marietje! Did you hand stitch? You say it is stiffer than anticipated - what glue did you use to glue the pigskin to the main leather? Am I mistaken or are the edges of the strap a bit rough?

Altogether a very nice project. I like it.

She says Fiebing's Pro tan dye. I imagine she meant saddle tan.

10 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

She says Fiebing's Pro tan dye. I imagine she meant saddle tan.

Ahhh.... makes sense! I was assuming she was stating generically.

Nice pattern. Looks very well done. Stitching is gorgeous, and the color!  A friend uses resolene a lot and I’ve heard that it’s shiny, but that looks very natural. Is the color mainly the dye, or did the neetsfoot darken it a bit as well!? 

Thank you all for the kind and positive comments.
Scoutmom103: It definitely can carry weight :rolleyes: Lot's of unnecessary stuff I carry around.... LOL. I've got the pattern from DieselpunkRo @ Etsy. Lot's of nice DIY patterns. Dimensions are 12x6 inch, but you also get a larger pattern of 20x10 inch
@ Riem: dankjewel. Yes I hand stitched. I like hand stitching, don't want to use a machine (don't have one, can't buy one either). That said, I'm looking into buying a good diamond chisel cause I like that more than the punched holes. Might be difficult with these patterns though, cause they are all perfectly aligned with the amount of holes.
I used rubber cement for the lining. Yes, edges of the strap are more rough. It was a different piece of leather as I did not have a piece long enough and for some reason the flesh side was more rough too. Still figuring out how to get the edges real smooth. It's getting better with the next bag I think, just a lot of practice I need to do. I use a little gum trac now, then edge with my Dremel and an edger with different widths on it (via eBay) and then again with some bees wax. Next time I want to try some edge kote. It's still not as smooth as can be. I think I either use too much or not much enough gum trac?
@Flashmojo & Sheilajeanne: yes correct, Fiebings Pro Saddle Tan
@ScoobyNewbie: Color is mainly the dye, the pure neatsfoot did not do that much anymore, but I only applied 1 coat after dying. Luckily it's not that shiny because of the resolene. I was afraid too it would become to shiny.

I've cut out all the pieces for the next bag, did the edges and applied two coats of pure neatsfoot now. It darkened a little, but still not much, so I think I'll do another coat tomorrow.
Then I need to decide if I put mink oil on or carnauba creme, or maybe both?
Any advice is appreciated!

Edited by Marietje

That's a beautiful bag!  My construction is not great but I really want to make my wife a purse someday.  Great work!

I'd hold off on the 2nd coat of NFO @Marietje unless you have several days to ensure it dries. Some folks do exactly like you did on the first one and skip the pre-dye NFO. It isn't a rule or anything and it will likely only make it a little bit softer.

Your original bag above looks fantastic. I can pretty much only agree with everyone else, your choice of dye color and that contrast with the black stitching is great and the whole thing is just a lovey piece of work.

Regarding your strap edges, the way I do mine is I sand them very close to where I want them, then use water the first run of slicking, then a thing coat of gum trag for the second slicking, then dye, and sometimes I'll go back and hit it with some beeswax.

I can't wait to see the next one :) 

On 9/29/2018 at 4:56 PM, Marietje said:

Thank you all for the kind and positive comments.
Scoutmom103: It definitely can carry weight :rolleyes: Lot's of unnecessary stuff I carry around.... LOL. I've got the pattern from DieselpunkRo @ Etsy. Lot's of nice DIY patterns. Dimensions are 12x6 inch, but you also get a larger pattern of 20x10 inch
@ Riem: dankjewel. Yes I hand stitched. I like hand stitching, don't want to use a machine (don't have one, can't buy one either). That said, I'm looking into buying a good diamond chisel cause I like that more than the punched holes. Might be difficult with these patterns though, cause they are all perfectly aligned with the amount of holes.
I used rubber cement for the lining. Yes, edges of the strap are more rough. It was a different piece of leather as I did not have a piece long enough and for some reason the flesh side was more rough too. Still figuring out how to get the edges real smooth. It's getting better with the next bag I think, just a lot of practice I need to do. I use a little gum trac now, then edge with my Dremel and an edger with different widths on it (via eBay) and then again with some bees wax. Next time I want to try some edge kote. It's still not as smooth as can be. I think I either use too much or not much enough gum trac?
@Flashmojo & Sheilajeanne: yes correct, Fiebings Pro Saddle Tan
@ScoobyNewbie: Color is mainly the dye, the pure neatsfoot did not do that much anymore, but I only applied 1 coat after dying. Luckily it's not that shiny because of the resolene. I was afraid too it would become to shiny.

I've cut out all the pieces for the next bag, did the edges and applied two coats of pure neatsfoot now. It darkened a little, but still not much, so I think I'll do another coat tomorrow.
Then I need to decide if I put mink oil on or carnauba creme, or maybe both?
Any advice is appreciated!

Marietje:

I have made several bags from the patterns of DieselpunkRO and my wife loves all of them. :-)

I was making the Witch Doctor Bag (pattern) for myeslf and when the wife saw it, she took ownership of it and I finished it for her (hmmmm?)

I only "wish" I could figure out what he (Tony aka: DieselPunk) uses on the edges to darken them up and make them look patina (darker) like he does.

The bag you made: looks fantastic! Great Job!

When cutting out the leather, don't you just love all the stitching plugs EVERYWHERE? It took me days to get them all up from the floor:-)

Your edges look fine. This is how they are suppose to look from the tutorial. 

Very nice work you should be proud, I know I would be.:thumbsup:

Really nice work.

On 2-10-2018 at 8:19 AM, Garyspruill said:

Marietje:

I have made several bags from the patterns of DieselpunkRO and my wife loves all of them. :-)

I was making the Witch Doctor Bag (pattern) for myeslf and when the wife saw it, she took ownership of it and I finished it for her (hmmmm?)

I only "wish" I could figure out what he (Tony aka: DieselPunk) uses on the edges to darken them up and make them look patina (darker) like he does.

The bag you made: looks fantastic! Great Job!

When cutting out the leather, don't you just love all the stitching plugs EVERYWHERE? It took me days to get them all up from the floor:-)

Your edges look fine. This is how they are suppose to look from the tutorial. 

That is great to hear! (sorry for my delayed answer, for some reason I just don't get notifications of responses, so look at this forum occasionally).
I love the patterns of Tony too! What's your name on his page? I'm Mary ;)
I just finished the Boston bag (maybe you have seen). Need to make better pictures and will post here too.
Now I'm working on the Messenger bag.
I've just watched a video from Armitage Leather on YouTube about edge burnishing. It's a skill I do not quite master yet. Armitage is using 2 kinds of burnishers though, 1 more rounded and one for the more flat edges.
It is key that the burnisher touches the leather well.
Haha.... the stitching plugs... it's a pain in the but! I have a piece of tape at hand to 'pick them up' and also a cup to put them in, as I have a simple punch that I can close off with my fingers and empty in the cup when needed.

On this weekender bag I used edge burnishers in a Dremel tool, which made it a lot more convenient I must say, but still, they could be better.