wrz0170

Microbevel for skiving knife?

So I  inquired about skiving knives Here  and got some great suggestions.  To recap, I have a Tandy Super Skiver and came to hate it almost immediately.   I took a small plunge and got one of Lisa Sorrell’s skiving knife.  3/4”.   Shown in pic.  Out of the box it was sharp.   But it did have some difficulty with push cut of magazine paper.  

Brought out my trusty Wicked Edge sharpening system, registered a true 20° per side after finding my burr.  Progressed from 200g-1500g.  6 and 1 micron diamond lapping film.  Stropped  it down from 4 to .1 micron,  diamond emulsion.   Mirror edge.  Nice push cuts now.

havent been able to try it yet   Have to get some material. :(

My question is if anyone uses a micro bevel for such knives?   It’s my understanding that micro bevels are good for fibrous materials.  Leather appears to be fibrous?  Or just maintain the edge as is?

Thanks,

William

F3759533-D5AE-414D-90C6-884E073AA572.jpeg

How do you use those? Push? Pull? Jiggle?

10 minutes ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

According to the You Tube she did, you can do both. I have edges that I have to do no wider than 3/4”  and on about 1mm-1.2mm leather.  So not a lot of margin for error.   With the super skiver, it gouged, ripped and tore.  

Try the microbevel out and see if you like how it works better. From my experience with knives, most have microbevels anyhow, depending on how the knife was sharpened, so it may not make a appreciable difference.

Interesting. Hope it works. I haven’t tried a whole lot of skiving. But my skiver does seem to be a little ... lot clumsier than any of the videos I’ve seen.

Edited by ScoobyNewbie

I have these knives and love them to bits and pieces; I switch back and forth pretty freely between push skiving and pull skiving, depending on the angle and positioning.  The only problem is that I can't really use any sort of existing jig because they're double-sided and angled (on the other hand, if they *weren't* double-sided, I'd need separate knives for push and pull), and I'm always concerned that I've got the angle wrong and am messing up the knives when I sharpen.  Oh well.

I put a microbevel on mine to hopefully speed up the sharpening process, but I am the opposite of an expert when it comes to sharpening, so my opinion probably shouldn't count for much.

1 hour ago, SheltathaLore said:

I have these knives and love them to bits and pieces; I switch back and forth pretty freely between push skiving and pull skiving, depending on the angle and positioning.  The only problem is that I can't really use any sort of existing jig because they're double-sided and angled (on the other hand, if they *weren't* double-sided, I'd need separate knives for push and pull), and I'm always concerned that I've got the angle wrong and am messing up the knives when I sharpen.  Oh well.

I put a microbevel on mine to hopefully speed up the sharpening process, but I am the opposite of an expert when it comes to sharpening, so my opinion probably shouldn't count for much.

Right now, I’m trying it out without a microbevel.  I feel safe with the push cut going at the edge at 90°.  Short cuts and slow, but it lets me breath a bit easier.  Practicing the pull cuts.   Haven’t quite got the angle down for those nice long strips.  I get a moment of “a ha”, then lose the angle.  Lol.  

After I gave it an initial sharpening, I’m using a horse butt hide strop (without any compound at the moment) to see how it goes.  

On September 27, 2018 at 5:00 AM, ScoobyNewbie said:

I always like the jiggle method :P

On October 5, 2018 at 2:46 AM, wrz0170 said:

Right now, I’m trying it out without a microbevel.  I feel safe with the push cut going at the edge at 90°.  Short cuts and slow, but it lets me breath a bit easier.  Practicing the pull cuts.   Haven’t quite got the angle down for those nice long strips.  I get a moment of “a ha”, then lose the angle.  Lol.  

After I gave it an initial sharpening, I’m using a horse butt hide strop (without any compound at the moment) to see how it goes.  

On those long cuts, don't try and do it all at once.  Draw your line and do an initial cut into the fibers, then go back and do it again.  Way easier.

20 hours ago, immiketoo said:

I always like the jiggle method :P

On those long cuts, don't try and do it all at once.  Draw your line and do an initial cut into the fibers, then go back and do it again.  Way easier.

Thanks!   Will give it a go.   Practice makes perfect.   The videos I have watched, it appears the knife is almost perpendicular to the edge and the tip doesn’t extend very much beyond the edge.