TonySFLDLTHR

A tour of SLC!

I visit several times a year and every visit is rewarding.  They have closeout stuff that can't ever make it into a catalog or the web.  Several tables outside where you can find bargains.  Belt blanks, wallet backs, hardware, etc.  A huge box of remnants sold by the pound is awesome for smaller projects.

Discount sides in multiple colors and types.  Tools galore and very friendly, helpful staff.  Jeff, in particular helps me a bunch.

I you are into beads and/or jewelry this is also your place.

If passing by, stop!  You won't be sorry.

Great place to visit. They have amusing ads in the LCSJ. I stopped there several times on my way from Ohio to Norman, OK.

Thanks, Tony for the tour. Living in Florida my goal is to make it there someday. Rusty did a great job as usual with the video. SLC is my go-to source for all things leather. Always good deals on veg tan. You guys are awesome! 

Well that looks like a lotsa good stuff.  But.. no "Girls of Springfield" calendar?@!

They are the BEST.

If they served food, I could live there!

When you visit, be prepared to spend a long time there because in person, the place is LARGE, with not only Leather craft supplies but all kinds of other products for your creative hobby needs.

Sam:)

Thanks, that was fun to  watch.

I was curious what they might be generating sales wise and did a back of the envelope calculation using the stats shared in the video.  I came up a respectable $15M in sales.  Then I was curious what total sales were for this micro industry (hobbyist/handcrafted business) so I combined SLC's $15M with Tandy's $85M to get $100M then doubled that to account for all the rest.  That gets you a $200M industry which sounds like a lot until you consider that the US Leather Hide Industry alone exports $2B in sales and that the entire global leather market is around $100B.  So that means our little slice is a mere two tenths of one percent of the economic pie and shows just how rare a breed we really are.  And I rather like that.

I wish I could see the video! :(

12 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

I wish I could see the video! :(

Looks like it was shared on Facebook.  If you use Facebook, try logging in to it and see if it works for you then.  What kind of error or message do you get when you try to view it?

Tom

The screen is black with a message saying "Unavailable Video can't be embedded." Yes, it does say watch on Facebook. I have an account, if I knew how to use facebook ...

4 minutes ago, Rockoboy said:

The screen is black with a message saying "Unavailable Video can't be embedded.

@TonySFLDLTHR Can you post this on your Youtube channel and provide a link to it?

Tom

On 11/23/2018 at 5:03 PM, JLSleather said:

Well that looks like a lotsa good stuff.  But.. no "Girls of Springfield" calendar?@!

My favorite is, "deer in the headlights look" lol

Great video and what an operation they have. That's who I do business with and always happy with my orders, thanks for sharing !!

that was a very nice video. hopefully I can make it out that way at some point. I can spend hours on their website.

Thanks for the youtube version, I was able to speed it up and watch the thing to the end!  Great set up you all have!

YinTx

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:30 AM, Northmount said:

@Rockoboy See above post for a Youtube Link.  Hopefully that will work for you.

Thank you for your efforts. That video and Springfield Leather Co. are both AMAZING! I have serious shop envy now!

I am a order leather by mail newbie and very hesitant to spend a lot of money for nice leather that I can’t inspect first...does anyone have any good stories to put my mind at ease.

1 hour ago, TheAlbinoYeti said:

I am a order leather by mail newbie and very hesitant to spend a lot of money for nice leather that I can’t inspect first...does anyone have any good stories to put my mind at ease.

Tell people where you are located so they can give you info for your area of the world.  Update your profile with your location.

Tom

1 hour ago, TheAlbinoYeti said:

Heck that's half the fun, making leather bets.  I've purchased a lot of their clearance sale stuff and it's ends up as you expect,  distributed like a bell curve.  

If you are as risk averse as you sound, give  Wickett & Craig a look. The generally have a election of overstock hides.  Wickett & Craig ranks  in the top 3-4 tanneries in the US. This is premium American leather, you can't go wrong

Pick up  some of their $8 - $12 bellies  You won't believe how nice the leather is for next to nothing.  Just got four Havana Skirting Bellies... leather is excellent $1,60/ft

23 minutes ago, Northmount said:

Tell people where you are located so they can give you info for your area of the world.  Update your profile with your location.

Tom

Thanks. 

I live in Trinity North Carolina. About 80-100 miles from TANDY in Charlotte and Raleigh. Have order from them often but always go in person to get leather. I’m interested I. Trying Springfield or Weaver. Also there is a place called Zack White leather about an hour away, but I have been there yet.  So I would just like to if people are generally satisfied with leather orders from various places and which ones they prefer. Thanks for any information.

5 minutes ago, cseeger said:

Heck that's half the fun, making leather bets.  I've purchased a lot of their clearance sale stuff and it's ends up as you expect,  distributed like a bell curve.  

If you are as risk averse as you sound, give  Wickett & Craig a look. The generally have a election of overstock hides.  Wickett & Craig ranks  in the top 3-4 tanneries in the US. This is premium American leather, you can't go wrong

Pick up  some of their $8 - $12 bellies  You won't believe how nice the leather is for next to nothing.  Just got four Havana Skirting Bellies... leather is excellent $1,60/ft

Thank you that sounds like a plan. Limited operational equity prohibits me from being able to absorb costs if I get stuck with a bad piece and I can’t yet afford the highest quality stuff so I would have buy sale pieces mostly.

Edited by TheAlbinoYeti

3 hours ago, TheAlbinoYeti said:

Thank you that sounds like a plan. Limited operational equity prohibits me from being able to absorb costs if I get stuck with a bad piece and I can’t yet afford the highest quality stuff so I would have buy sale pieces mostly.

We try and work as much as possible as we can with you. If you call in the phone order girls will put in the notes what you might be looking for. Also, some times we have been known to take a picture of what we are planning to send you and see what you think (just ask if they can help with that). Then if you get it and it's not up to par, we will send you out a return label. Hopefully this eases your mind a little, but I do understand the worry.