YinTx

Put a sad bit of tooling to use! Emergency Book cover

So, found out today I needed a cover for my book by tomorrow!  Decided the only way to make it personalized was to use a piece that I had just tooled and experimented on with antique color that I was going to toss in the bin.  Suppose it turned out ok!  

A first, I decided to go with undyed veg tan,  a rough scarred up piece, wrinkle marks and all.  Have always wanted to do an oiled type finish and let it patina on its own, so figured this was an excellent opportunity since I didn't have time to go with dye, wait, etc!  Also a first, made my own "dubbin" or leather care whatever you would like to call it with neatsfoot, beeswax, lanolin, etc. today, and used it on this after I heavily oiled with neatsfoot.   Was a lot of work to get into the leather, this is 6 oz.   I think a 40/60 mix (wax/oil) is a bit too firm, had to heat it with the hair dryer to get it in.  Lots and lots of buffing.  Overall, I liked the effect, and I look forward to seeing how it patinas over time.  Surprised at how dark the undyed leather got:  the tooled piece was dyed pretty dark by the antique, and almost looks the same!  The veggie may lighten up by tomorrow morning, as the oils diffuse throughout.

Another first, finished the cover in 5 hours (not including the tooling work) this did include making the dubbin!

Will try to put up a photo of the back and all it's wounded glory when I get it off the phone!

BibleCoverALoRes.thumb.jpg.3aa5e571d2051753e8a9f57adaab7557.jpg

YinTx

Not sad Yin, full of character! I like it quite a bit.

That's what I was thinking.

Nice one.

If that's sad, you can send it over to me. I'm sure I'll be able to console it... :) Nice stitching, and I like the finish too. ;)

I really like that!  I'd like to see it after it develops that patina!  

That is just great, Y.

I love it.

looks well done to me. nice stitching job

On 9/27/2018 at 11:01 PM, battlemunky said:

Not sad Yin, full of character! I like it quite a bit.

I got to use it this weekend, and I have to say I really like the oil/beeswax finish I put on there.  And the scars really give it a lot of character as you say.  The carving came out so so, that was the sad part. :)

On 9/27/2018 at 11:53 PM, rodneywt1180b said:

That's what I was thinking.

Thank you.

On 9/28/2018 at 12:28 AM, fredk said:

Nice one.

Appreciate it!

On 9/28/2018 at 6:19 AM, Riem said:

If that's sad, you can send it over to me. I'm sure I'll be able to console it... :) Nice stitching, and I like the finish too. ;)

I have a pile of things that need consoling, not sure I'd want to afford the shipping. :)  And thanks on the compliments!

On 9/28/2018 at 7:03 AM, Jack1970 said:

I really like that!  I'd like to see it after it develops that patina!  

Yeah, I look forward to seeing how it patinas a lot.  But I think it's a pretty tough cover, going to take some time for that to develop...

On 9/28/2018 at 7:58 AM, bikermutt07 said:

That is just great, Y.

I love it.

Thanks!

On 9/28/2018 at 8:10 AM, bdpeters said:

looks well done to me. nice stitching job

Thanks:  was a rush stitching job, and the edging work isn't my top notch, but it came out well enough!

YinTx

How did you come up with the “dubbin” recipe?

i was just curious.

Thanks

Phill

1 hour ago, 24VOLTS said:

How did you come up with the “dubbin” recipe?

i was just curious.

Thanks

Phill

I had read about 50/50 oil/wax recipes on this site off and on, then heard some leather treatments have additional things like lanolin, tallows, fish oils, etc and decided to give it a go.  Way to firm, made it 60/40, still too firm for me.  Will make another with more oil in the future.  I've heard you can go 3:1 or 4:1 oil/wax and get a softer mix easier to rub in.  Overall, it has almost instantly become my favorite finish for un-dyed leather.  It has not lightened up in color at all, but feels and smells fantastic.

YinTx