Stephenw

Editing Posts and Attachments

I see the max total size for attachments is 1.46 MB. I don't see any way to edit, replace, or delete attachments. I don't see any way to edit posts either. I've been on the internet a very long time, and this is the first forum I have found this to be a problem.

It would be nice if I could replace the huge photo I uploaded from my phone with on that is smaller and compressed, so I can post more photos in the future.

Edited by Stephenw

Pic resizer is the app I use. This forum is great in a lot of ways. Handling attachments is not one of those ways.

Editing may have a post minimum. It's pretty easy once you can.

I see you can edit now ;)

Edited by battlemunky

2 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Pic resizer is the app I use. This forum is great in a lot of ways. Handling attachments is not one of those ways.

Editing may have a post minimum. It's pretty easy once you can.

I see you can edit now ;)

I have Photoshop and can resize and compress photos easily. The problem is that I cannot edit or delete a photo I have already uploaded to this forum. As far as post editing, my original post starting this thread had an edit button for a very short time after making the post. It is now gone. Most forums allow you to go back and edit a post at any time.

2 hours ago, Stephenw said:

I have Photoshop and can resize and compress photos easily. The problem is that I cannot edit or delete a photo I have already uploaded to this forum. As far as post editing, my original post starting this thread had an edit button for a very short time after making the post. It is now gone. Most forums allow you to go back and edit a post at any time.

It seems to me that the time limit for editing the message is quite logical. On your original post could be reaction with one or more comments that relied on the original text. If, after some time, the original comment is corrected, such comments-reactions may look inappropriate. And this is incorrect with respect to their authors.

I think I understand Stephen's problem. When one writes a post and adds a picture the forum software only assesses the size after the upload (but before one hits "Submit"). If the size of the post exceeds 1.46Mb, one is told that the attachment is too big, but the software then does not allow you to delete or replace the already uploaded attachment before posting the message. I too have been stopped from posting a replacement picture in such circumstances.

Try using the 'preview' to see how a photo looks in a posting. If its too big I take it back into my photo editing proggy and resize it until its the size I like and want in the posting

When up-loading a photo, before submitting the message, you can delete the photo and change it to a smaller version

If you resize photos to 800 x 600 or even 1024 x 768 pixels, there will be no problems uploading as many photos as you want to in a post.  If you do a little checking of what size your photos are before hand, and what you can or need to do to make them fit, all should go smoothly.  An old saying, "An ounce of preparation is worth a pound of cure" certainly applies here.

Photos sized above are more than adequate for most things you want to post.  Also reduces upload and download time for those people who live on the fringes of the internet or have otherwise limited internet speed and service.  Still lots of places in the world with slow access.

Tom