filipblaauw

Restoration: My dad's old fishing reel case

Could not stand watching my dad's old reel case any longer, so I took on to restore it. It's for an Abu Ambassadeur, and the case has cardboard walls as a base. I removed the old and rotten thread, and luckily the cardboard was fine underneath. So I used the old holes, and sowed it back together.

I also removed the old canvas lining, and lined the interior with a thin goat kid leather. Finished off with some leather balm to bring the colors back.

I don't think any high quality leather were used originally, and I did not spend a lot of time on the edges. Just some basic burnishing and sealed it with beeswax.

Now I'm inspired to make reel cases from scratch, for my fly reels :)

IMG_1157.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG

That is a real good bit of refurbishing work

Thats going to last him a lot more years. You'll inherit your own work

That came out stunning!  Looks brand new!  Perfect box stitching as well, not easy.  Any idea why they would use canvas for lining, like to keep things from rusting?

You should totally start making these things.

YinTx

What are the interior loops for? I've never had a case for a fly reel, so I don't know.

I do know that I wish I had kept my father's old bamboo strip fly rod. If I'd known what they'd be worth these days, I would have! 

I didn't know they could be restored. It was starting to fall apart, and I figured it was junk, as nobody was making bamboo rods anymore...at that time. 

THAT is a beautiful job on that case!!!

Jeff

Beautiful job!  I'm sure you could find a market for more restorations like that.

That turned out great!

Thanks for very nice comments, really appreciate it!

17 hours ago, YinTx said:

Any idea why they would use canvas for lining, like to keep things from rusting?

I don't know if canvas were used because of added strength, or maybe because it would prevent scratches every time you place the reel inside the case. Could also be a cost issue.

17 hours ago, alpha2 said:

What are the interior loops for? I've never had a case for a fly reel, so I don't know.

The loops is to hold accessories for the reel: one bottle of oil and a small cylinder for tools. Here´s a ebay ad where all the parts is pictured: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-ABU-GARCIA-AMBASSADEUR-5000-W-BROWN-CASE-TOOL-OIL-PARTS-SWEDEN-/302625517005

image.png

The case sure looked worse for wear before I began, but the parts itself were in pretty good condition. I could also use the existing holes for the box stitchting, so that made the job a bit easier.

Edited by Northmount
Added photo since the original link will go dead in time

G'Day, 

That looks stunning :)  Just the sentimental value  alone would be priceless. 

Well done   :) 

That is fantastic work both the technical stuff and the thought behind it.

That looks great!  Nice job!