samNZJP

Long Wallet with Zipper

Hey

Looking for all the help I can get on this one. Never made a long wallet before so I took to instagram for some inspiration... @from_one_leather
See below for some pictures.

The last image is a similar wallet by the same person, but it is the zipper in the middle for coins that I am particularly interested in. Any idea how it is done? I've never worked with zippers before.

also, with the first image, how do you think the insert for the strap is sewed into the piece?

Any other insights would be great.

Sam

Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 18.59.19.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 18.59.30.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 18.59.40.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 19.00.30.jpg

Zippers aren't nearly as magical as I always thought they were  having used a few now and are pretty straight forward. Cut the slot for the size zipper you have and carefully glue it. Make sure you have it right side facing the way you want it, etc., lay it out before hand and make sure its the way you want it to be. Then sew it in after gluing.

The insert, I'm guessing, is sewn onto one of those interior pieces we can't see very well from the pics. It looks hidden though, so maybe the inner lining of whatever the outer piece sews onto?

The zipper is on a pouch. If you look at the last pic it is in between the two gussets. The strap would be sewn on to the outer body of the wallet. There are a few videos I’ve seen on YouTube of long wallets. Some with zippers some without. A few of those should give you the breakdown of construction that you want. Also all the things @battlemunky said too.

Note also that these are two different wallets.  The first one has the pouch zipper facing into the fold.  The second has the pouch zipper facing out.  The second one is similar to an accordion purse/wallet. I quite like the second one even though it is more complicated to put together, especially the accordion gussets.

Tom

Edit:  Here is a file that may help.  I don't recall where it came from so I can't give credit for it.Long Wallet Templates.pdf

Edited by Northmount
Added template file

Thanks for the template 

Anyone have any idea how to get measurements for the triangular pieces joining the coin pocket (see zipper) to the base of the wallet? 

Also, I wonder what the underside of the wallet looks like and how the strap is attached.

Sam

Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 9.58.51.png