neilyeag

New Knife Sheath

Finished with cow hide, pig skin lining, some slight stamping and a dangler carry.  Fiebings Pro Black dye. 

P1020463 (800x558).jpg

P1020469 (800x626).jpg

Edited by neilyeag

Good job. 

Nie sheath. How was the dye applied - airbrush or a surface dye? And if I may ask - what's the skin in the background? It kinda looks like some type of fish leather from the shape of it...

That's real sharp!  I like it!  Nice knife, too!

10 hours ago, Riem said:

Nie sheath. How was the dye applied - airbrush or a surface dye? And if I may ask - what's the skin in the background? It kinda looks like some type of fish leather from the shape of it...

i believe it to be the animal that killed Steve Irwin ..

Stingray .. 

4 hours ago, canonitr said:

i believe it to be the animal that killed Steve Irwin ..

Stingray .. 

Tragic, that. Living in Africa, it never ceases to amaze me to see videos and pictures of people cuddling and cozying up to wildlife. The animals are called "wild" precisely because they are just that - wild, and if someone as experienced as Steve Irwin can still be killed, what chance does the average tourist stand? Of course, I'm not passing judgement on Irwin in any way.

16 hours ago, Riem said:

Tragic, that. Living in Africa, it never ceases to amaze me to see videos and pictures of people cuddling and cozying up to wildlife. The animals are called "wild" precisely because they are just that - wild, and if someone as experienced as Steve Irwin can still be killed, what chance does the average tourist stand? Of course, I'm not passing judgement on Irwin in any way.

well, natural selection taking it's course.. saw videos of some tourist getting out of the vehicle in some safari, while holding a toddler, to watch some cheetahs feeding...  or there was some news about AUS ( i think) having to ban great white shark petting , cause people were trying to pet the shark while it was feeding??

but i digress...

@neilyeag ,  just curious, what's the hole at the bottom of the sheath for? an eyelet/grommet?

Maybe a thigh tie?

On 10/2/2018 at 12:19 AM, Riem said:

Surface dye.  Not really as black as I would like it but looks OK after oil and wax.  It is photographed on a sanded brown dyed stingray skin.  

On 10/3/2018 at 7:58 AM, canonitr said:

well, natural selection taking it's course.. saw videos of some tourist getting out of the vehicle in some safari, while holding a toddler, to watch some cheetahs feeding...  or there was some news about AUS ( i think) having to ban great white shark petting , cause people were trying to pet the shark while it was feeding??

but i digress...

@neilyeag ,  just curious, what's the hole at the bottom of the sheath for? an eyelet/grommet?

Yes some people might/could use it for a thigh tie.  This sheath has a dangler carry so I guess if one was concerned about being stealthy a thigh tie could be employed.  Truthfully for me for the most part, I just like the way it looks. 

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:58 AM, canonitr said:

news about AUS ( i think) having to ban great white shark petting , cause people were trying to pet the shark while it was feeding??

I think the same newsflash had the name of the national javelin-catching champion.