Zsuzsu

Tension and needle position

Hello, I've recently purchased a cobra 26. Just a couple questions...

When replacing the needle the eye goes from left to right but each side is slightly different. I had it in and the needle started hitting the case and broke so it's now going in the opposite. Is this normal? I was told just to put in the needle so you thread laft to right.

Second, I've een trying to dial down the tension for the lightest weight thread the machine takes 69 as I'm waiting for heavier thread in the mail. Both with the 69 and 138 I can't seem to tighten that bobbin case anymore to get rid of the loop on top. I've tried 138 in top and bottom realizing maybe 69 is just a bit too light weight. Any suggestions?

13 minutes ago, Zsuzsu said:

Hello, I've recently purchased a cobra 26. Just a couple questions...

When replacing the needle the eye goes from left to right but each side is slightly different. I had it in and the needle started hitting the case and broke so it's now going in the opposite. Is this normal? I was told just to put in the needle so you thread laft to right.

Second, I've een trying to dial down the tension for the lightest weight thread the machine takes 69 as I'm waiting for heavier thread in the mail. Both with the 69 and 138 I can't seem to tighten that bobbin case anymore to get rid of the loop on top. I've tried 138 in top and bottom realizing maybe 69 is just a bit too light weight. Any suggestions?

Needle scarf must be to the right when needle is installed.  You should have a diagram in your manual that shows this.  Long groove on the left side.

Gary

Thank you, any ideas on the tension? No matter how I dial the bobbin screw there's no change.

It would be helpful if you provided more details including needle size you are using with top thread and thickness of the leather you are trying to sew.  A few pictures of the thread path that also show how the needle is installed, and what exactly do you mean when you say the needle hit the case?  Did you cycle the machine manually with the hand wheel to watch the operation?

You may be trying to sew leather that is too thick with needle and thread that are too small, possibly causing the needle to bend.

Gary

A couple of small close-up photos are better than a thousand words. Show us photos of your needle area and of the top thread path. Experienced sewers can spot an incorrect path in moments. Include the work piece you are trying to sew, where the knots are on top.

If the machine shipped with a pack of needles, tell us the size that is in the machine. It is also embedded into the top shank of each needle.

Make sure you actually read the manual for this machine. I'm not sure what manuals come with the Cobra 26, but it's a clone of the Juki LS-341. Here's the manual for the Juki LS-341 (Juki LS-341N InstructionManual.pdf), which nicely explains correct needle orientation, proper thread path and a whole bunch of other things you cannot afford to ignore.