DJole

Sword Scabbard hanger

I have always wanted a laced sword scabbard, but the amount of work (and wood working experience) required to create a scabbard is daunting. 
I have a sword, but it already has a scabbard, so  what to do?
Finally, I got a brainstorm -- I'll just make a sleeve which goes AROUND the existing scabbard, and that'll do the trick!

So here's the original tooled design, a key-work panel on the sleeve, with Fiebing HiLighter (modified slightly from the original design, taken from a church in Wales):

Scabbard design

Geometrics are a pain...but to get it right, go SLOWLY with the swivel knife, and use a straight edge wherever possible. 

Here's a mock-up of what it will look like, when all done:

5bb2da68b99a4_Hanger1.jpg.b8a704bc8798cf30c45f9316bb231cb5.jpg

All that intricate lacing...it's painstaking work -- you can't really cut the slits until you have the belt strips ready to mock it up.  The triangular piece to the bottom of the picture is a type of "buckle." The other strap (top center) will end in two strips, which will tie through the holes in the "buckle." It's period -- some medieval art features scabbards done that way. I also decided to cut a 'window' in the wide middle strap to hide less of the nice tooling. 

Here's the back -- I'm using a baseball stitch to butt-stitch the pieces together, using flat lacing.  I'd forgotten how tedious lacing can be; you really have to pay attention to avoid twisting the lace, or getting the pattern wrong (only had to undo two stitches so far!)

5bb2daf43d56a_Hanger1back.jpg.00515d89229aa94e957dbd65cc004816.jpg

Here you can see the interlaced straps, linked through each other. 

I didn't realize it, but the baseball stitching doesn't close the edges as closely as other stitches, so I think the hanger might be a bit loose on the scabbard itself. However, I can glue a 'shim' of thin leather inside the hanger sleeve, and that should snug it right down. 

Inventive way to solve a problem, and a very nice job. I like it.

Completed it today.
Here are all the straps, sewn and mounted:

StrapsDetails.jpg.1e7bd728c04a65fb71dbe7bb4bdf336a.jpg

I have the ties installed -- it kind of looks like a squid here. I modified the design somewhat --instead of just splitting the strap in two, I put on a piece of veg-tan and split that instead. 
And instead of two, I decided that using four strips made for a stronger bond, and a better looking knot. So I wrapped the ends together with wire, not only to lock them together but as a bit of decoration. 
I made a flat knot where the scabbard straps cross (bottom left) which looks nice and neat. 

TiedUp.thumb.jpg.0d47310db34eb054f7ba937639ef0509.jpg

And here's what it looks like all tied up, hanging from a chair back.  I am satisfied with it...I got to practice more leather skills and end up with something I've wanted for a long time. 

Really cool, way to make it work with existing materials man!

That is cool.

Gorgeous!

Yeah those historically correct baldric/frog connections to swords just shows you what can be done by true craftsmen of the old world. Nice.

This is very cool! I've been thinking I want to make a new scabbard and 13th(-ish) century belt for my sword. I really don't like the scabbard it came with. I at least made a frog for it last year and liked being able to remove the scabbard for sitting and really wanted to find a way to blend the two like you've done. Now if I'll just finish the belt pouch I started maybe I'll be able to get to that. Assuming of course I can find the time to make the scabbard....

2 hours ago, jonlrussell said:

This is very cool! I've been thinking I want to make a new scabbard and 13th(-ish) century belt for my sword. I really don't like the scabbard it came with. I at least made a frog for it last year and liked being able to remove the scabbard for sitting and really wanted to find a way to blend the two like you've done. Now if I'll just finish the belt pouch I started maybe I'll be able to get to that. Assuming of course I can find the time to make the scabbard....

To help you on your way, here are the websites I used for reference:

Edited by DJole
missing link

On 10/5/2021 at 3:29 PM, DJole said:

To help you on your way, here are the websites I used for reference:

How did you determine the lengths you needed to do the two sections of the belt? More specifically I guess, how long to cut the sections for the lacing.

Edited by jonlrussell

2 hours ago, jonlrussell said:

How did you determine the lengths you needed to do the two sections of the belt? More specifically I guess, how long to cut the sections for the lacing.

I just saw that the Ye Olde Gaffer's website has vanished into internet ether... But the Wayback machine has it available : https://web.archive.org/web/20200731202515/http://www.yeoldegaffers.com/project_scabbard.asp

I followed his recommendation: I used a cloth measuring tape and wrapped it around the scabbard in the same pattern as the lacing would be.
This gave me a baseline length, but I cut it longer and after actually doing the lacing, I trimmed off the excess leather. I didn't have to trim too much. 
If you don't have a cloth measuring tape, you can use a length of string instead. 

And remember -- some of the straps require a slit so that another section of the strap can go through it --- don't cut those slits in advance! Cut them as you are lacing. 

I also made a modification on the the "buckle" end. The original has three decorative domed rivets:
http://djole.altervista.org/djole/Publications/Leather/A/Arming Scabbard hanger/Hanger 1.jpg

But they didn't hold up to the strain, so I replaced them with the copper "burr and washer" rivets.

Awesome, thanks. I always forget about trying the wayback machine for sites that won't load. Good info there. Also good to know about the "buckle". I had wondered if the rivets would be a problem, but figured you'd have mentioned it if they had been.