PossumHollow

First tooled / stamped sheath

This wasn't supposed to be decorated it just kinda happened, figured it was as good a project as any to experiment on with a pile of stamps I bought second hand last year. It's my first attempt and a sorry one at that so please be gentle. 

42914391_345962519304409_7028233746725732352_n.jpg

Nice!

I can't spot any reason for this being a "sorry attempt"? Stitching is straight, stamping is darn good for a first, and although the photo does not show the edges clearly, it seems fine. Altogether a very good piece!

What does the blade look like? ;)

Looks very nice!  Only comment is that the basketweave stamping is usually stamped on a diagonal to the borders - looks more pleasing to most folks, but everyone has personal preference.  What does the back look like and what type leather and thread did you use?

Good job.

Gary

First Class job

Nothing sorry there mate. 

As a tup in additikn to placing the weave at angle (i usually use 15deg) i would suggest that at rhe mouth of the sheath you first put a crease the same distance firm the edge as your stitch line then run the cammo at the same disrance frim the edge as on your main seam.

And ya what leathwr is that? Finishes?

And well stitched.

Everything is straight, lined up tidy,  nice dye and burnish on the stamping, nothing not to like!  Well done.

YinTx

I think it's great.

Thanks folks, you're too kind. The leather was plain 5 oz veg tan, plain NFO finish, artificial sinew to stitch. After I got the color pretty consistent with the NFO I gave it a good rubbing of fieblings aussie conditioner. I would normally use at least 7 oz for a knife of this size but like I said it was more of an experimentation. The back isn't tooled, a few lines which look uneven because of the positioning of the belt loop 

I do appreciate the tips I will try to utilize them on my next stamping project. The entire concept is new to me, I have always been a plain utilitarian guy when it comes to leather so this was definitely a step outside my wheelhouse. It probably would have helped if I had made some plan before starting but I carved the Q logo and then decided some lines would look cool, then figured, "Hey that looks like a border now maybe I'll just fill it is with basketweave" LOL. The roughness around the carved portion (the beveling) is what irritated me the most but there was a lot of tight corners and angles to try to get into so it didn't come out as smooth looking as i had hoped.

20181002_134903 (640x480).jpg

20181002_134921 (640x480).jpg

Edited by PossumHollow

looks nice, you put the tools to good use.

I like it!  That's way better than my first attempt with basketweaving!  Looks good to me!

Good work with that basket-weave stamp.