whitakermk

Cleaned Singer 31-15 Now not working

Hi all, I have a Singer 31-15 treadle that I generally hand crank - attached a wood crank handle to the wheel. It was getting dusty and dirty and in need of a cleaning. So, I drove it over to a lady that cleans antique sewing machines. She also rebuilds them. Mostly garment machines etc. Told her what I sewed - belts, guitar straps, holsters etc.

It worked fine. Now, I got it back, clean as a whistle, oiled, looks brand new considering its age.

But now it's missing stitches when making turns - as in slight turns around edge of a colt 45 holster and tight turns around edge of a wallet -  and it's bunching up on the bottom.

I've adjusted the tension now to where its almost tightened all the way. Helped a bunch - but still several skipped stitches and loose on the bottom when turning.

I use Coats & Clark heavy duty upholstery thread and the needles that can with it - which was a zip-lock bag full of about 40 needles - have no idea what they are so dreading the day when I run out.

Any suggestions? I talked to her and she was nice about it, said she didn't really do anything that should have taken it that far out of wack. She's a wonderful older lady, very nice, joy to talk with, so I don't think she did something wrong.

The Singer 31-15 is a garment sewing machine. It uses the typical system DBx1 garment needles. The fairly thin needle bar is held in time to the hook by a single set screw. It takes very little force to cause the bar to move up, throwing the timing out. This causes skipped stitches.

A bent or burred needle also causes skipped stitches.

In case you missed my comment about this being a tailoring machine, it is designed to sew cloth garments. It can sew soft chrome tanned leather using a roller foot. It is not built to withstand the pounding caused by veg-tan leather. Further, these machines are not equipped with strong enough springs and take-up cranks for #138 thread sewn into hard temper leather.

8 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

The Singer 31-15 is a garment sewing machine. It uses the typical system DBx1 garment needles. The fairly thin needle bar is held in time to the hook by a single set screw. It takes very little force to cause the bar to move up, throwing the timing out. This causes skipped stitches.

A bent or burred needle also causes skipped stitches.

In case you missed my comment about this being a tailoring machine, it is designed to sew cloth garments. It can sew soft chrome tanned leather using a roller foot. It is not built to withstand the pounding caused by veg-tan leather. Further, these machines are not equipped with strong enough springs and take-up cranks for #138 thread sewn into hard temper leather.

Thanks Wizcrafts.

Yep, I knew I was stretching the limits with it - but hand cranked with care worked great for me. I do know the needles were leather needles from researching the tips/points.  I should have never had it cleaned! HA! - But, good news is that it's probably in the condition of it's life and ready to sell. Probably should do that and save for the next machine.

Any thoughts on a 331k4 for sale nearby for 150 bucks? At that price I could easily afford replacing the old motor for a servo.

Edited by whitakermk

The 331K4 is the same machine w/a smaller handwheel & different casting BUT it does have reverse,but still won't sew any thicker than your 31-15.