Sign in to follow this  
FlatwaterLeatherGuy

Singer 301A

So I've inherited my Grandmother's old Singer 301A sewing machine. Anyone here know anything about it? Can it be used to sew leather?

Thanks!

Ken

3 hours ago, FlatwaterLeatherGuy said:

So I've inherited my Grandmother's old Singer 301A sewing machine. Anyone here know anything about it? Can it be used to sew leather?

Thanks!

Ken

Have you read this http://leatherworker.net/forum/forum/50-leather-sewing-machines/

or this http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/25239-the-type-of-sewing-machine-you-need-to-sew-leather/

Tom

I know a little.  They're a 3/4 sized domestic machine.  Straight stitch only. They use the same bobbin and bobbin case as a Singer Featherweight, an even smaller machine.  They do use regular 15x1 needles that are available everywhere.  They're a collectible and desirable machine for quilters.  They like them for their portability and vertical bobbin.  Around here I usually see them in the $100 +  range.  Markets do vary.

They're well built for their size but they're not leather machines.  Thin garment weight leathers at most, and I wouldn't try to give them a steady diet of that either.

If you don't have one, you should be able to get an owner's manual here.

https://www.singer.com/support

If you're looking to sew thicker leathers you can do it by hand or save your pennies until you can buy a machine that's meant for leather.  I actually recommend sewing by hand to start. 

While searching for the best sewing tables and cabinets, you might fall into several confusing and annoying situations. You may come across a table marked as the best for advanced sewers but useless for beginners and vice-versa.

To prevent you from falling in such confusing situations, I decided to invest my time in researching some of the best sewing tables you can look forward to in 2020. I tested 28 tables from more than 11 brands before reviewing the best 10. I am sure they will not only keep your workspace organized but also help in finishing your projects precisely and before the deadline.

16 minutes ago, sewingoptimizer said:

While searching for the best sewing tables and cabinets, you might fall into several confusing and annoying situations. You may come across a table marked as the best for advanced sewers but useless for beginners and vice-versa.

To prevent you from falling in such confusing situations, I decided to invest my time in researching some of the best sewing tables you can look forward to in 2020. I tested 28 tables from more than 11 brands before reviewing the best 10. I am sure they will not only keep your workspace organized but also help in finishing your projects precisely and before the deadline.

@sewingoptimizer   this is affiliate marketing - easy to detect.

https://sewingoptimizer.com/best-sewing-table-reviews/

Look who else Martha Williams can be:

maybe you recognize one or another face

Edited by Constabulary

On 4/19/2021 at 3:06 AM, sewingoptimizer said:

@sewingoptimizer Doesn't really look like this belongs in a leather working site.  Looks like it is all for textile/dress making machines.