MikeG

Horizontal Phone Case - - questions

I have an order for a horizontal phone case.  I have never made one and I have a couple of concerns.; hoping someone can help me.

1.  On vertical cases, I use a simple spring belt clip, but the ones I have are too long for a horizontal case.  I am concerned shorter clips might not be secure enough.  I've been thinking of some type of decorative clips that can be exposed on each end, or belt loops (perhaps a single wide belt loop)  if the customer agrees.

2.  If the phone case is horizontal, especially with belt loops, wouldn't this put torque on the phone?  Seems like each end of the phone will need to be away from the body.  This would have the tendency to flop around and/or hang on things. (construction worker)

3.  Seems like with a horizontal phone case the flap would be annoying, since it is so long.  Or the flap could be molded and "hinged" to the case with a thin piece. --- or the phone could come out the front and not the top, which seems to me would make a more secure holster.

Perhaps I am overthinking this - I hope so.  I've scouted around for examples but not seen anything other than the factory made

You are overthinking this process by quite a bit.  I have made several horizontal cases over the years and the larger the phones get the more interesting the design process gets.  I only use spring steel belt clips (the same ones that you use for concealable holsters because they are shorter) and they work just fine.  I have also done some with a belt loop in the center and they have done just fine.  Each end of the phone will be away from the body and there is nothing you can do to change that, the amount of space is based on the size of the phone but that is how it is.  If the customer has a concern about how their phone will sit on their hip then you may want to suggest going to a vertical style because that is the only way you can get the phone body closer to their body.  Regarding the phone flopping around or getting caught on things, that is going to happen no matter what type of case a person has and that is the responsibility of the phone owner to be aware of, if they opt to wear their phone wherever they go or whatever they do and their is a risk of damage or other negative results that is their fault if something happens to it and not yours.  You are being asked to design and make them a case to fit their phone and to be worn the way they want to wear it, just make the design and get their input on it and anything after that is on them.  With the size of the current phones today I always make sure that my customer understands that I make the product requested to the specifications requested and I also advise them of any potential risks that could present themselves during its use, I do this to make sure that they understand that any damage to their phone that results from their not doing their own due diligence in safeguarding it when risk is present is on them and that I am in no way liable for any of it.

The simplest way to design such a case is to have the dimensions of the phone available and create a form for it, I use scrap pieces of leather and glue them together in layers until I have the phone thickness, I then shape the rest of the form to the size and I have my template.  I lay my form out on some heavy cardstock and start marking off where all of my fold points and stitching points are going to be so that I can design the rest of the body around that.  Every measurement of the form/phone needs to be taken into consideration all around to ensure that you get the right layout but it is really pretty easy once you start tinkering with it.  For the flaps I either use snaps (at customer request) or I use small button magnets that I hide in the leather (I use thinner leather with a thin lining to do this) and they work just fine.  Besides, this is the same way those garbage commercially produced phone cases work so why can't I add that to a better product?

I will try and dig up some examples of some I have made and see if I can get them posted but I would like to suggest that when you search the internet for ideas or to see examples of others works, don't just do a random search, go to places like Etsy or some of those other online marketplaces for handmade items and search, that way are getting to see examples of what you are trying to work out versus finding all of those crap vendors who have it all imported in for retail purposes.

Thanks, Richard.

I have always made wood forms.  Your idea of stacking leather scrap is brilliant!  I'm going to look for some suitable clips on my next outing.  I tend to overthink everything, I appreciate the confirmation.  Now to get to work . . . .

Hey man, I used to overthink everything as well; constantly trying to over-perfect everything and you can thank my Engineering background for that.  One day it hit me to just look at everything in a more straight forward approach and to do it as simple as possible so that I can speed up the process.  Good thing I did because the alternative was a baseball bat upside the head and I am sure that would have left a mark or two.  Now I just sit back, make a quick doodle on paper, grab some scrap and glue it together, and just go at it from a simple common sense approach; that has cut so much time off of my design process and it makes the process so much easier.  Once I have a project completed I will spend more time on creating permanent templates for it if I like the look and it is something that I will do again for others.  If I have a one-off design then I just file the rough drafts away just in case I get another odd request down the road.  If the design is a unique one and I know that I will never do it again then I just find the circular file and put it all to bed.  I only use the leather scrap for my forms because it is much easier to shape than wood because you already have the tools you need to do it and it can be quickly adapted to whatever form you need it to be in a much shorter time frame.

Post some pics of what you come up with and you can always contact me direct if you want; I am one who has no issues with sharing my knowledge and experience with others because that is how we continue to get our craft out into the public eye and capture new people who want to learn this trade.  Some look at it as just a Hobby and for many it is but this is also a Professional trade that has a history as long as humankind itself and it is the Professional Tradesman who is the guiding light for the new Craftsman.

I have all my  friends and family keep the plastic belt clips that come with commercial phone cases such as otter box then I cut the excess from around the parameter and drill holes for stitching to the back of the leather one I made now you have swivel clip that stays on the belt and is easy to put in or take off just my 2 cents 

So I finished the case.  Requirements were "horizontal," "black," and "with fish."  I hate black except for duty wear.  How do you put embellishments on black?  Anyway, I worked it through and I think it came out pretty good.  Thanks for the help and encouragement!

100_3744.jpg

100_3739.jpg

100_3742.jpg

I have seen some people advise caution on using magnets as a closer on phone cases. Apparently the magnet can affect the screen sometimes.

I am also wondering if the magnet might cause an issue with the SD card, internal memory or the sim-card.

question: how do you insert the magnet into the top flap ? seems like a single piece of leather with no incisions?

I am thinking the back piece, which includes the flap, is 2 layers of leather. There appears to be a join along the bottom edge.

The entire case appears to be lined with a lightweight lining leather, pigskin or lamb skin.  Don't see a stitching line around the case flap so that could be an issue down the road with the lining peeling away from the main body.  Although magnets are accused of causing issues with electronic devices the ones that intended for use in phone cases, such as the ones shown in the OP's images, are not strong enough to cause any issues as the more technologically advanced these devices become the more shielding that is built into the device.  If there were any issue with such designs then the manufacturers would not have their own line of like items that they are selling; why would they want to ruin your experience with your new device?  After all, wouldn't they rather see your payment as a satisfied and continuing customer instead?  Rare earth magnets would have a helluva time with a device though and that would be something that a device owner would not soon forget.  

I love your fish! Silver gel pen?

@NVLeatherWorx @Rockoboy Magnets do not affect smart phones or tablets performance.  SD cards are not affected by magnetism.  Neither is the RAM in the phone.  Neither is the CPU.  The screens do not use magnetic fields like CRTs and are not affected by magnetic fields. 

Many smart and older cell phone cases (and tablets covers) include magnets to switch the screen off when the case is closed, and also to activate the screen when taken out of the case.  If magnets had the effects that are claimed by those repeating false information, why would the OEMs use magnets in their cases and covers? 

Several years ago, I was asked to make a replacement case for a Blackberry Phone.  I used the original magnets, placed them in the same position as in the OEM case, and it all worked just like the OEM case. 

I would ask all those that read this to spread correct information rather than repeating proven falsehoods.

There is one exception with smart phones ... with GPS sensors (magnetometer, accelerometer, gyroscope).  Take a look at this test https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=smartphone-mount It even shows it not to be a serious problem.

Tom

2 minutes ago, Northmount said:

I would ask all those that read this to spread correct information rather than repeating proven falsehoods.

Thank you for the correct information. I will pass on the flaming.