East50Leather

Greeting from the Midwest

My name is John and I am an airplane-a-holic....Oops sorry wrong group.   LOL

Anyway I am a retired Deputy Sheriff and media person and have always wanted to learn this craft. While I was on the Sheriff department I was the Training Officer, Reserve Liaison Officer, Public Information Officer and SWAT member.   The joys of administrative work in a small department, you wear too many hats!

I also am a Private Pilot and have been since I was 17. I enjoy flying because it is a great way to relax and forget about the world and also move about in 4 dimensions.  I usually can be caught flying a Grumman Tiger although I flown several birds up to an AT-6 Texan my dad owned when I was a young adult. 

I have a Goldwing Trike and my wife and I ride all over the US on it with two other couples.  We have all been riding together since 2004 and we meet every Friday night and plan the next year's vacation and dream.   This year (2018) we rode to Gettysburg.. if you are bored and want to see the trip report, it is located here: http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/gettysburg/gettysburg1.htm

Anyway I have enjoyed looking around  the site here and look forward to meeting some qof you members.  I have attached my latest project pictures. This project was done for my 24 year old son who is just beginning his career in law enforcement with Indiana University Health AHU Police.  I made him some off-duty gear. I have attached a link to all of my projects if you wish to look and critique: https://photos.app.goo.gl/WAJmBJ1wNVOdoeQs2

Really nice holsters! You do some good work :)

Welcome to the forum!

Hi John - Welcome to the forum!  Those are some nice holsters you posted.  The Bersa looks like it is sticking out a bit more than I would like, but if it’s secure it’s just a matter of taste!

Look forward to seeing more of your projects.

Gary

Hi John - Welcome to the forum!  Those are some nice holsters you posted.  The Bersa looks like it is sticking out a bit more than I would like, but if it’s secure it’s just a matter of taste!

Gary

Looks like the slot took a turn on the beretta, perhaps, but you clearly have a great 'eye' for designs ;) 

SHOOT .. that reminds me - I still have Wayne's cuffs I haven't patterned yet :o

Jls

5 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Looks like the slot took a turn on the beretta, perhaps, but you clearly have a great 'eye' for designs ;) 

SHOOT .. that reminds me - I still have Wayne's cuffs I haven't patterned yet :o

I love your designs.  It is what started me.  I guess I am enamored with your reinforcement panels and the way your holsters flow.  So far I am just doing stuff for friends. Your 1911 pancake design is unbeatable.  I retired my Askins Avenger that I wore for years after making your pancake.  Question? Do you have a double stack double mag pouch plan?

35 minutes ago, garypl said:

Gary

The Bersa was designed that way , so it could be carried on a belt or in a purse. My friend wanted it that way.  It is very secure though.

2 hours ago, East50Leather said:

Question? Do you have a double stack double mag pouch plan?

How 'double'?  More like a shield mag?  That G19 mag is pretty beefy, though I never did much like the design - it was just something simple to git folks a start without an investment issue.  I got some parts on my desk right now to test an alteration to that one.  It works, and it looks 'okay', but I like 'em to bend on around a bit.. less binding (ideally, the tension would be the same on or off the belt).

Or did you mean TWIN mags?  I aint happy with the twin mags thing, either.  I did a few, knowing I wouldn't be happy with how much room those types take up.  Those of us with a waist size UNDER 40 .. put on a pancake holster, and a pancake dbl mag carrier, and aint much belt room left over!  Still, a few have asked for 'em, so ...

Untitled-1 copy.pngThis ends up being about 6 1/2" wide when formed.

Pattern up on the site in a minute, once i've cleaned it up enough that it at least isn't embarrassing :blush: 

There ya go .. simple and quick (take less time to make that sucka than it did to go through all that! ;) )

http://www.jlsleather.com/diy/holster-patterns-diy/

Edited by JLSleather
linky

That's a great design!  I have had 2 requests for these.   This is what I envisioned, but couldn't get it on paper.  I have had nothing but compliments on your mag pouches.  I too at a 36 inch waist find it difficult.  I usually wear the pouch and have another mag or two close at hand in the car or on the bike. My brother wants a G 19 mag/ flashlight combo.  What do you think?  I think way too bulky. I have only been doing this about a year, so I am learning.   Hoping to learn some tooling over the winter if it is slow. Do you have a Facebook page?

I can send you my bikini handcuff case if you like.   It was a pain to sew up, but it turned out all right.  John here btw..

7 hours ago, East50Leather said:

That's a great design! 

Workin on one (between other stuff) that will be about 2" narrower, and comes off the belt without removing the belt.

7 hours ago, East50Leather said:

I think way too bulky.

Those glock double mags are BRICKS.  The 19 is a decent piece of hardware, and there are about a zillion of them in use, but ya start talking about the 19 AND TWO mags, and you got yer pockets FULL.

I don't facebook much.. they got so determined to "link" a business page with a personal page... basically make you a part of their commercial.  I like to decide who I'm going to advertise ;)  But I do need to ramp up the web site,  maybe get somebody else to write the "selling' end (which any of a bazillion kids can do these days) so I can do a bit more with the 'sharing' end.  Been long enough since I uploaded a pattern I hadda scratch m' head a second to remember how I did that!

Wayne has a set of cuffs with some sentimental value (yes, really) and he wants a formed case, with a snap down cover flap. Don't have the wood shop any more, and tough these days to find somebody to make the wood form (especially since I refuse to let someone I don't know be responsible for what isn't mine).

Guessing by the way you have the leather in that stitching clamp, I'm gonna guess that YOU are the lefty ...

Welcome and very nice.

Have you been to landwerlen's  in Indy?   Love that place.  

9 hours ago, East50Leather said:

Actually I am pretty much ambidextrous.  My wife and another friend if mine are lefties.  I really prefer carrying the 1911 over the Glock, but I carried a Glock for several years after we transitioned to the G22 from the Sig P220 at the department.  Since I was the T.O/F.I., I usually still carried my 1911 when I was out and about and not in uniform.   I have 2 pairs of cuffs with sentimental value, so I completely understand.   One was my dad's and the second was a long story, but I'll keep both of them forever.

Scoutmom 103- I have not been there. Where's it at? My wife and I are going to stay a couple of days in Indy this week.  Leaving tomorrow to see our youngest aon, who lives up there, where is it at?

Always looking for someplace new to go spend money at.  Lol. 

Landwerlen Leather Company   -Near Lucas Oil Stadium- a little north of the corner of Il. and W. South St., but South of Union Station.  There is a small parking lot to the left of the building.  If you are shopping and there is space it is free.   It's like stepping back in time .  It's easy to drop some $ in there.  

That's great! scoutmom 103. I'll hit it tomorrow.  Sounds like a hidden gem. 

YW.  Have fun.