AA3JW

Snake Skin tanning

Very nice!

On 12/22/2018 at 8:46 PM, Chief Filipino said:

Very nice!

Salamat po, Chief!  I was stressing on this one as it had a personal touch, turns out my buddy gave me his boy's "levi's" size for the waist vs actual waist size so it came up a few inches too short...I'm going to try a buckle extender for the first time ever now as well...lol.:wub:

On 12/24/2018 at 8:50 AM, koreric75 said:

Salamat po, Chief!  I was stressing on this one as it had a personal touch, turns out my buddy gave me his boy's "levi's" size for the waist vs actual waist size so it came up a few inches too short...I'm going to try a buckle extender for the first time ever now as well...lol.:wub:

Walang anuman! I hate it when things don't fit due to a measurement error (I've done it and a customer has done it too) sigh... at least it came out though! 

I get a lot of rattlers on my property. I got 35-40 last year... I took over the outside freezer until mom told me to tan every hide in there... I ended up spending all day tanning 74 rattlers and 5 coyotes. I use the skins in my leather work and my brother makes pens out of them.

On 12/31/2018 at 8:53 PM, Rolandranch said:

I get a lot of rattlers on my property. I got 35-40 last year... I took over the outside freezer until mom told me to tan every hide in there... I ended up spending all day tanning 74 rattlers and 5 coyotes. I use the skins in my leather work and my brother makes pens out of them.

Are you interested in selling some? 

18 hours ago, Chief Filipino said:

Are you interested in selling some? 

Not sure yet but if I decide to I'll post them on the forum. 

1 hour ago, Rolandranch said:

:rockon:

On 1/4/2019 at 9:09 AM, Rolandranch said:

Sounds good! I'll tan them myself too if you want to sell them for a lesser price. 

Totally worthless add to this conversation but my mom used to make snakeskin belts when I was growing up and one she made formme when I was around 10 is one of my treasures now that she is gone.

Because of her her interest in leatherworking, I’ve taken up the practice and while I’m learning- enjoying every bit of it.   Seeing the snakeskin conversations and looking at the pics of those snakes being hung up to dry brings back a lot of great memories- 

sorry to not add anything useful for you guys - but this  is  a happy thread for me. :) 

1 minute ago, Maroonbulldog said:

Totally worthless add to this conversation

Pffft! Not totally worthless IMHO! Your memories brought a tear to my eye, when I remembered my Grandad showing me some things about 40years ago, that he did with leather.

If you haven't been welcomed aboard already, Welcome aboard.

Thank you for the welcome.  I’m  still crawling and trying to get up to speed-  this board is helping me for sure.     

Ive been back at it  long enough, and remember just enough that I was able  to teach a Leatherwork Merit Badge to some of my Scouts last weekend.      I think I may have interested a few of those boys enough that a few may actually pursue it as a hobby.    (The  requirements were very basic).  

Again. Thanks for having me. 

13 hours ago, Maroonbulldog said:

I may have interested a few of those boys enough that a few may actually pursue it as a hobby

Well done. I think very little is as precious as the memories a person builds in their youth.

Many people come into the store and say, ‘My Dad/Grampa/Uncle/Scoutmaster/ Gramma/ teacher showed me how to do this when I was a kid and I’m really interested in learning more.” It’s always accompanied by a beautiful smile.