KBCustom

Staining/antiquing techniques

Hello everyone

I am trying to step out of my comfort zone lately. Getting more and more orders for different colors. I have been using fiebings antique paste for several years and have really gotten accustomed to using it.  I would however like to try some other products out there to add variety to my work. Attached I have a picture of how the antique looks on my work. Would like similar results. Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_20180826-151339_Messages.jpg

Now thats GEORGIOUS !   I think there are several new and different Fiebing Antique colors now ?

Yeah, that is really nice work, I agree. I know Fiebings has black and several shades of brown and cordovan. Also, Tandy has their Eco-Flo antique gels but they don't like to be resisted very well at all.

Personally I would just stick to what you are doing. It works. Maybe try the other Feibings colors. But stick with the paste as you have it down. Why fix what ain’t broken I say.lol

Looks fantastic, appears to be medium brown,  try Sheridan tan and light brown if you haven’t already!  Beautiful work!

If I would have been able to get the Fiebing's paste antiques to look that good ever, I would not have so many different brands of antique laying around trying to get one to work.  I'd say if you have it figured out, stick with it.  Also, if you are in the mood, let us know how you do that!  

YinTx

That is GREAT work!

I recently did several pieces using Fiebing's antique paste and Resolene, and the Resolene caused the antique to streak, despite me diluting the Resolene 50/50 with water, and waiting more than a day for it to dry.

What sort of resist do you use?

Thanks everyone for the kind words and advice. I do like the way this antique works. Ill maybe try mixing colors a bit to add some additional variety. What I have found that works for me with this antique: after my leather is tooled, I apply one coat of mink oil, let it dry typically overnight. Then I will apply the antique with a sponge in circular motions, let it stand for a couple minutes then wipe off excess with an old tshirt. From here I will let things dry overnight depending on how it looks I'll give it another coat or two until I'm happy with it. Ive always had trouble applying my tan kote, it always washed the antique out and made things look plain and boring. I've found that if you apply one small coat of mink oil with sheep wool then let it dry for a bit before applying the tan kote, seems to not pull as much antique up. Hope this might be of help for anyone working with antique paste!

KBCustom,

Thanks for sharing your process.  and....So, no resist?

YinTx

Looks great then. Usually when I follow the process you outlined, I get darker leather where I don't want it darker.  I will have to try the oil before antique approach, maybe that will help, a step that I didn't do.  thanks for the details!

YinTx