plinkercases

Pearson #6 photos needed

Here is the stand I am looking at getting.

It is missing the treadle 'eccentric' wheel I believe its called and the attachment mechanism for the needle bar lift pedal on the right.

Can someone who has a complete set up send me some pictures of the assemblies and attachment to the frame etc? I so I can A) keep an eye out (dream) or B ) perhaps use something off another treadle machine and MacGyver something with other vintage parts.

Thanks in advance.

Murray.

PS almost ready to lower it down to the stair to the basement and uncrate the head!

IMG-20181006-00564.jpg

Can't help with spares.. but some photos of what you need.. appears you need approx 5 parts(and bolts)  - balance wheel .. bottom drive arm plus shaft.. drive shaft/cam connector...and wood pitman arm

The foot lift pedal is just one piece - axle - bolted to the frame. (Pedal shown LHS photo # 3 ..  with bottom drive arm RHS)

My first one had no stand but I acquired an original style frame but missing the major parts .. long story - but ended up welding / building them - reference was photos online (measured and scaling).... And as fate has it .. about 18 months later I found a #2 machine with a complete stand ..lol!:rolleyes2:

gallery_5246_364_589008.jpg

gallery_5246_364_373802 (1).jpg

gallery_5246_364_589008~2.jpg

My first #6

gallery_5246_364_27255 (1).jpg

gallery_5246_364_321515 (1).jpg

Thanks Gord...  jsut saw another complete with stand that looks like it nevere had the pedal option just the crank.

Wish I lived in western Canada where they all seem to come up for sale.

I like the top photo above of the one with the invisible frame!

I just bought mine yesterday.  And it has the all cast stand like the one you have complete with the flywheel and pedals.  Only thing missing is the leather belt which I intend to make.  Will be a few days  before I have it up and running since it needs a good cleaning.  It is also missing the bobbin winder.  Anyone care to guess why it seems so many of these machines get sold without the bobbin winders.  What would the seller keep them for if the sell the machine?  I already have an idea how I intend to make a bobbin winder.

Please share your winder plans! And welcome fellow Pearsonian.

8 hours ago, catskin said:

It is also missing the bobbin winder.  Anyone care to guess why it seems so many of these machines get sold without the bobbin winders.

Here is my theory, and even though I don't have a Pearson, I do have quite a few vintage heavy stitchers.  There was a period of time when these heavy vintage machines weren't worth much.  The harness and saddlery trade all but died when the automobile and later the tractor replaced horses as a means of transportation and power.  While some of the machinery got weighed up for scrap, what remained sat idle for years, sometimes decades.  Generations came and went, and while its not so easy to just pick up a Pearson #6 and throw it in the trash, a bobbin winder is easily handled by one person and it would be all too easy for someone "cleaning up the shed" to discard something that was taking up space and not being used.  I believe that with the passing of generations, people did not realize what the bobbin winders were anymore, and they got discarded.  I have personally bought, at an auction where the auctioneers should have known better, a bobbin winder for a Landis One, sold as an "apple peeler".  Not only was it in perfect condition, it also had the original wax pot fastened to the board.  I paid $40 for it.  I didn't tell them that it wasn't an apple peeler!  At a different 2-day auction, I know for a fact some of the accessories for machinery that sold on the second day, got sold on the first day, due to lack of knowledge of the organizers.  Bobbin winders are also easily damaged in transporting, and some likely got damaged beyond repair and tossed. 

This is speculation on my part, based on facts of what happened to the industry over the past 80 years.

Same thing with other leather sewing machines - F.I. you seldom find Singer 45K with its accessories (meaning different presser feet and sewing devices that belonged to certain machines depending on their subclasses.) it´s often enough just the machine you find.

I have been hunting for a presser foot adapter for the sideways adjustable 45K presser feet I have but never have seen one for sell. I was about making one... Just recently I found one in a lot of vintage Phoenix sewing machine prats - totally different machine, the adapter does not even fit for Phoenix machines. I just looked at the picture and spotted this freakin adapter buried under several other parts (which I don´t need ) and I was just 75% sure it could be "the one"- I bought it and had luck. :)

You have to spend time (and money) when you need certain parts for certain vintage machines. Best sample is LW member EVO160 who is looking for 45K parts for years just to complete his (2 I guess) 45K´s he is restoring. I found some for him, some came from LW member UWE  and LW member Jimi, I know he bought a cast iron stand from Great Britain and he even reproduced a cast iron piece for the stand... I´m really looking forward to seeing his finished projects - especially the accessories he collected. :)

Vintage sewing machiens really can be an addiction but - hell - it´s fun to keep them alive.

Edited by Constabulary

2 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Vintage sewing machiens really can be an addiction but - hell - it´s fun to keep them alive.

Yes it is, but everyone has their poison, right?!  I will not apologize for mine to anyone!  ;)

Thank you for your responses about bobbin winders. I think you are all right. I have been thinking the same things.  As for my plans for bobbin winder I have not yet got to actually making it but will share when I do get at it.  At the moment I am thinking about using parts from a winder that is used for a hundred plus year old sock knitting machine. I have several . I actually have several ideas I am thinking of so depends which one I get at first.  Maybe I can trade pictures of my bobbin winder design for close up pictures of your machine heads. I think there may be attachments for this one that I don't have but could make if I had pictures.

Wow.  Very good collection of parts and #25 needles.  Way cool.

Silverd

13 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Aaron Martin has 2 samples of BUSMC / Pearson bobbin winders on his site - maybe they give you an idea how to make them:

https://www.aaronmartin.com/product.php?catview=137

Yes that is close to what I was thinking  only mine will likely drive with a belt rather then gears.  Unless I make it electric.  Still thinking.  Today I am getting it cleaned up.  I think I got lucky there seems to be almost no wear noticeable on it.  Might be a few more days before I get at making the winder.

I thought I would put this here since others might be looking for the same info.  Could some of you pearson owners please tell me the size and thread the bolts are to hold an edge guide onto these machines. I took a bolt from the needle steady to try and it is the same size and thread. So I took it to 2 different places to try to get bolts, both sold me bolts they said were right but when I got home they do not go in.  The thread is slightly different.  Arron martin does not list those bolts separately and postage would likely be more than the bolts. So would like to buy closer.

4 hours ago, catskin said:

Could some of you pearson owners please tell me the size and thread the bolts are to hold an edge guide onto these machines. I took a bolt from the needle steady to try and it is the same size and thread. So I took it to 2 different places to try to get bolts, both sold me bolts they said were right but when I got home they do not go in.  The thread is slightly different.  Arron martin does not list those bolts separately and postage would likely be more than the bolts. So would like to buy closer.

They'll be Whitworth threads -- either coarse (BSW) or fine (BSF) rather than Uniified National coarse (UNC) or Fine (UNF). The major diameters of the bolts between these two systems will be the same and the minor diameters quite similar but the thread form will be different. I'll measure mine, though there's no guarantee that they'll be the same as yours -- I've heard that different BUSM machines from different eras can have different screws at the same locations.

I contacted Aron Martin and was told they rethread those places.  So ordering from there will not help. They want you to buy THIER feet and edge guides that are rethreaded and the bolts to hold them on.  I would prefer to keep this one original.  So if anyone can tell me the thread and size I might be able to find them.  I have whitworth. metric and unc thread gauges and non seem to fit. Whitworth are 55 degree with a round top whereas unc and metric are 60 degree with a flat top according to my hours of searching the internet. Have any of you rethreaded your machines?  And what thread pitch did you use to not ruin the holes and have to redrill and thread a bigger size.

Hey Catskin haven't heard from you in a long time.  Leo here from Regina.  

I bought screws from A Martin and like you said they work well with the foot I got at the same time.  I later determined that the screws provided are 12-24 x 3/4 machine screws. I found some at Bolt Supply in Regina and  used 2 to hold the homemade edge guide in the existing holes on the front block where the wax box attached.  They are not the perfect thread but a drop of blue thread lock did the trick.  The screws hold firm and are not seized in place as you might expect. They come 100 per box so I have lots on hand to spare.  The next time you're in Regina call me and I'll let you have some.

P.S. There was a minimum purchase price so cheaper to buy 100. 

Call me fivefourfivefortyonethirtynine or fivethreesixeightzerotwofive.

Hope to hear from you Leo

I'm still looking for a Round Rein attachment for a Person 6 if anyone knows where I can find one.   Perhaps if I offer a reward!

Silverd