RockyAussie

Is there a font for Ivan Alphabet stamp set 8132-00

I am wanting to know if anyone has a downloadable font for the Ivan alphabet stamping sets in either 8132-00 or the 8131-00 or the 8100-00.

Has anyone made one perhaps or know where I can get one? I am wanting to shave the stamps down in order that I can lay out the stamps in a line and have them correctly spaced.

This page shows the stamp sets I refer too. http://www.ivan.tw/index.php?route=product/product&cid=12

Thanks Mike I will give it a try. Been awhile.... good to see you back again.

Major failure on the recognition. Had some fun pulling all the broken up letter pieces to make them into full letters and the results were ..........not even close:dunno:.

I would have thought that somebody would have done one of these sets by now but there you go.

BUMP BUMP anyone ............Am I gotta do all this by hand on every belt? There are 5 words with 22 letters on each belt and I have to paint the words in different colours as well. This is why I moved outer town I remember now. 10 years ago it was about 1/2 hour out ....now they have crept up and are starting to surround me. HELP.

i think the Tandy stuff are made in TW.. so i guess Ivan is the OEM for Tandy, as i've seen some items on a JP site listed as Ivan, but in a Tandy box...

The font style is probably one of the "Circus" types..
The "bump" at the waist would be what a signwriters brush would make as a decorative flourish by rotating the brush, and the same way would be used to make the "split serifs"..Lettering styles used in circuses and carnivals, and occasionally ( if the signwriter was talented ) on shop front work and lettering on glass..Back when I was signwriting I've done loads of variations on this sort of lettering, did a lot of circus trucks and trailers and fairground attractions, airbrushed the animals and the figures and then added these type of letters..

If you do have to hand letter them you'll need to use signwriters brushes ( long bristles ending in a chisel tip ), not pinstriping brushes..If they are going on belts, I presume the letters are between an inch and an inch and a half high ? and all caps ? If so, to outline the letters you'd want a "lark" brush ( signwriters brushes are named after the bird feathers that are / were used to make the ferule , that naming tradition still holds even for the modern ones with metal ferules )..Small birds, small brush size, big birds , big brush size..

If you are able to find an acceptable font, and can print it out ( adjusted for kerning ) onto tracing ( or thin paper ) you could transfer the outlines onto the belts by casing them a little and going over the tracing paper with a biro with no ink ( helps to restrain the colours inside the lines if there is a groove in the leather for the paint to "butt" up against, although you probably know this anyway :)..If ( big if ) you are anywhere near a "sign shop" that does vinyl lettering , they might know what the font is, and / or could make you a trace of exactly what you need ( and to size ) on their plotter..With a trace and a biro outline, you should be able to do all the lettering on a belt in an hour or so each one, could be worse, they could have asked for a painted design or picture illustration inside each letter..like painting miniatures ;)..or they could have asked for a "drop shadow" to the bottom/right side of each letter..That is real fun :)

Examples of some "circus style" fonts ( you'll see why I think it is a "circus style" ) on some of these pages ..
https://creativemarket.com/blog/circus-fonts
and
https://www.1001fonts.com/circus-fonts.html

If you search "circus fonts" and go through a few websites you may find something close enough..

HTH..

Civilisation snuck up on you eh..

Thank you all. To try and explain better ....I have the stamp set already that I want to use as in the below picture. As they come in the box each letter is not able to be placed up against the next letter without having too wide a spacing on most. As Mike says it more correctly the kerning needs to be done. Now what I want to do is print out the letters to size from a font that is the same as the set and then shave the stamps down in order be able to put them up against each other and stamp a few letters in my clicker press at the same time. This I wanted to do by 3D printing a jig to hold the stamps in the correct place over the belt strips. At the moment I'm thinking my best option is to stamp out the letters right through a piece of 1mm leather thickness and use it as a guide line up on all the belts again held in a jig perhaps.. This at least would only require getting the kerning right the one time. I will check out the Circus fonts you mentioned Mike and let you know if I have any luck. Thanks for the tips on the colouring as well. As the colours are red white and blue on black I think I will need to surround the letters with white or silver more likely as the white would look strange otherwise.

41 minutes ago, mikesc said:

Civilisation snuck up on you eh..

Sure did but I'll get em educated right somehow ....... Can you believe in the middle of a hundred acres I have to turn the TV up to drown out the music sometimes. A few shots normally quietens em down a little or the cops show up to save em or something. :gun:.

Thanks again ...I will post some pics as I work it out.

Standard letter set Ivan.jpg

Edited by RockyAussie
Forgot the picture

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:21 PM, RockyAussie said:

I am wanting to know if anyone has a downloadable font for the Ivan alphabet stamping sets in either 8132-00 or the 8131-00

I scrolled through a lot of different fonts, maybe around a thousand or more to identify this font. The closest I was able to find was called Classic Western.

On 10/11/2018 at 8:00 PM, RockyAussie said:

Now what I want to do is print out the letters to size from a font that is the same as the set and then shave the stamps down in order be able to put them up against each other and stamp a few letters in my clicker press at the same time.

The amount of shaving needed will vary depending on the letter pairings. This table demonstrates the kerning attributes of various letter pairs, where you can see, for example, that VA uses different spacing (-123 / tighter) than VT (+16 / looser). Hope you find this helpful.

Kerning Table.jpg

Edited by LatigoAmigo

On 13/10/2018 at 7:30 AM, Rockoboy said:

I scrolled through a lot of different fonts, maybe around a thousand or more to identify this font. The closest I was able to find was called Classic Western.

Hey Brian, thanks for the trouble. I thought I was going to be able to use the Saddlebag font shown below by @Bigjake80 (Thanks Bigjake) but on checking on what claimed to be Free to use on some font site, Deiter Steffmanns page appears to say otherwise. I decided that it would not help much with what I wanted to do between laser files and 3d print files etc so I decided to make my own. THAT took a lot of learning and time and mistakes I can assure you. I hope to come up with a metal set of letters for my font in the near future. The advantage is I can type it out to show a customer and then laser cut the outline if I want or just place the letters against each other and stamp out the words.

On 23/10/2018 at 3:23 PM, LatigoAmigo said:

The amount of shaving needed will vary depending on the letter pairings. This table demonstrates the kerning attributes of various letter pairs, where you can see, for example, that VA uses different spacing (-123 / tighter) than VT (+16 / looser). Hope you find this helpful.

Thanks for your input on this point @LatigoAmigo. After a LOT of playing with the letter style and spacings between each letter I have come up with a font that seems to work well with most every thing I have thrown at it so far. (still early days yet though) There is no kerning in my font only the same spacings between which is just over 3mm apart. I have copyrighted this font and hope to put it out there when I finish getting the metal stamps for it finished.  Example below shows the laser cut masking tape on a trial.DSC04236_resize.JPG

This pic below shows the impression possible with a 3D printed block I did with this font

DSC04224_resize.JPG

This next one shows that the guide I printed can use the Ivan letter set as well, in this case a C and can give a cleaner looking impression. If a font for the Ivan set were available I think it would be too sharp to get a good line up over the masking tape and is also why I decided to make the width/thickness I did when I designed the font.

DSC04227_resize.JPG

DSC04282_resize.JPG

Thank you again for the help you have offered and again to Rockoboy and Bigjake.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:11 PM, RockyAussie said:

Thank you again for the help you have offered and again to Rockoboy and Bigjake.

No problem from my side @RockyAussie. All that you do for folks on this site, it was a small thing that I could (try to do) for you.

Bloody hell, is there nothing you can do that is not perfect, your embarrassing my feeble efforts in every field

Great font ,like the painted letters.Just a regular acrylic paint or something more exotic?

So you printed the guide ? They for sale?

On 12/4/2018 at 2:11 AM, RockyAussie said:

I have copyrighted this font and hope to put it out there when I finish getting the metal stamps

OH, so its a commercial venture thing.  Now I'm with ya. Up until that, I was wondering why not simply laser the letters on the leather and paint em :o

6 hours ago, JLSleather said:

OH, so its a commercial venture thing.  Now I'm with ya. Up until that, I was wondering why not simply laser the letters on the leather and paint em :o

Cause it looks bad?

11 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

Cause it looks bad?

Maybe.  Guess we'll have to wait on teh reply from the guy doing it :dunno:

8 hours ago, JLSleather said:

2 hours ago, immiketoo said:

Cause it looks bad?

Mike is dead right on that I reckon but although the end result is not really to my taste .....The pics  show a pretty professional finish I think.

Tape peels out nice

DSC04314_resize.JPG

A bit of a roll to make sure no edgesare sticking up

DSC04317_resize.JPG

Yeah it looks like shi...t

DSC04322_resize.JPG

oh so blue

DSC04329_resize.JPG

Painting is done

DSC04334_resize.JPG

A bit of pressure

DSC04275_resize.JPG

And its looks a lot better.....?

DSC04350_resize.JPG

DSC04345_resize.JPG

The $300 2.5 watt Eleksmaker laser getting another $200+ resize with bigger rails. This will allow me to do a full belt in one go and is wide enough to do a large poster size which means I can now cut out my product boxing from full size sheets and I can get several boxes cutting at the same time. More to come on that later.

DSC04342_resize.JPG

9 hours ago, noobleather said:

Great font ,like the painted letters.Just a regular acrylic paint or something more exotic?

So you printed the guide ? They for sale?

Thanks @noobleather I used some overpriced spray paint for shoes at first but the clear finish wrinkled it up so I then resorted to using my old edging colours. They are a little exotic I guess because I sort of make them myself from a mixture of clear Ares AR 6350 ( you can get it from Texon in Melbourne) and many in the other countries will have it branded Fenice AR 6350. I use 90% clear AR6350 to 10% liquid pigments that I have previously bought from Clarient. You may have to replace that with the Stahl waterbase pigments that can be bought in smaller quantities. As to the guide ...its a bitch to adjust when you are adjusting the back and the top at the same time and you are looking for less than a 1/2mm line up. I decided to super glue the back to be a permanent 38mm(1 1/2") and that leaves me free to adjust the top only. If your not concerned about double line ups its good. Price I think would be $30.00 plus post ($11.00 express in Australia). If you want the stl file to print it let me know in a PM or I can print it for you.

Regards Brain