I found this Fratelli Alberti skiving machine that comes without motor and table at a very low price. Do you it's worth getting it?

Screenshot_20181011-222222.jpg

Depends on the price and convenience. 5 minutes down the road for €20, sure. It'd be worth it for the experience alone, I have spare motors knocking about and I love tinkering. However I'd be dubious about the condition of the machine due to the evident rust. If that's on the surface, what abuses lurk beneath?

Looks like a water line on the arm... like it had been underwater for some time, resulting in the rust.  All things are relative.  What would be "a very low price?"

YinTx

From the looks of the rust on that I wouldn't pay More than $10 for it for parts and possibly not even that much. I'd have to see it in person

Hi, Are you willing to spend time taking all the rust off?? Most times it is surface rust only, but you never know? And as YinTx said what is a very low price?? If you could ask for more pictures just in case parts are missing. Also to see if there is rust underneath as well?? It is possibly missing the arm where the feed roller goes??

17 minutes ago, Mark842 said:

From the looks of the rust on that I wouldn't pay More than $10 for it for parts and possibly not even that much. I'd have to see it in person

:blink: 10 bucks!! If you find a fortuna one with a left side cover on it over there for scrap Mark i´ll gladly give you ......20 bucks!! :)

Edited by jimi

This arm looks like it could be missing? You can buy them cheap from china but i do not know if it would fit?

20181011_232825.thumb.jpg.d9ef125f6500ef7c7ad44e48246f3371.jpg

Edited by jimi

On 10/12/2018 at 1:35 AM, jimi said:

This arm looks like it could be missing? You can buy them cheap from china but i do not know if it would fit?

On 10/11/2018 at 11:21 PM, Matt S said:

Depends on the price and convenience. 5 minutes down the road for €20, sure. It'd be worth it for the experience alone, I have spare motors knocking about and I love tinkering. However I'd be dubious about the condition of the machine due to the evident rust. If that's on the surface, what abuses lurk beneath?

Thanks Matt! You have a point. I haven't thought about the extend of the damage.

On 10/12/2018 at 1:35 AM, jimi said:

Thanks Jimi! I found a Fortuna machine from a workshop that closes and I'll go check it out.

On 10/11/2018 at 11:27 PM, YinTx said:

Looks like a water line on the arm... like it had been underwater for some time, resulting in the rust.  All things are relative.  What would be "a very low price?"

YinTx

Thanks for suggestion! I hadn't noticed this detail. I'll go check out a Fortuna I've found and I hope to bring it home with me.

On 10/11/2018 at 11:58 PM, Mark842 said:

Thanks Mark! I decided against buying after your comments. It doesn't worth neither the time nor the effort.

Good luck with the Fortuna GeorgiaK. :wave:

If they have a spare left cover would you let me know?:)

Edited by jimi

1 minute ago, jimi said:

Good luck with the Fortuna GeorgiaK. :wave:

Thank you! Keeping my fingers crossed :rolleyes:

I have a manual for the Fortuna skiver if you are interested.