FlatwaterLeatherGuy

Nitecore - "Burnished" Stitch Line

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but thought I'd try here first. Is anyone out there familiar with the work of nitecore? Here's his YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtKpONsTurpMqHUDylWNCaw . I would love to know how he gets the beautiful "burnished" stitching edges. I'm not really sure if it's burnished, but that's the closest term I know of to describe it. In one of his videos, someone asked him about it and he replied that it's a secret. I totally respect that - we all need our secrets, right. I think I saw a video of someone on YouTube doing something like what he's doing. It looked maybe like they were using a leather wrapped block of wood and briskly rubbing along the edges. Anyone have any idea how one might accomplish this?

Thanks,

Ken

I think you mean the "darkened" leather towards the edge?

Yes Tony won't let on how he does it but I am sure there are quite a lot of different methods. Waiting

If it's the darkening of the edges, then I remember him showing it in one of his videos. The corset hat video I think. Maybe you can figure it out from there?

I'm no expert, but it looks like airbrushing prior to stitching - unless I'm not seeing the exact thing to which you are referring.

50 minutes ago, Stetson912 said:

If it's the darkening of the edges, then I remember him showing it in one of his videos. The corset hat video I think. Maybe you can figure it out from there?

Yes it shows him doing it but not what he uses, apart from what looks like a rubber disc at about the 12:30 mark

I was wondering if he might be using something like a wooden block with a leather pad glued to the bottom maybe? Something like this one perhaps? I want to say that I totally respect Tony's work and in no way do I wish to infringe upon his secrets. But damn, those results! 

BTW - is he ever on these forums? 

s-l400.jpg

Edited by FlatwaterLeatherGuy

@Chain I should clarify, I was just pointing it out so that maybe someone could figure it out. I'm unsure what he is using exactly

He applies what seems to be mink oil initially. Then, at the 12.30 mark, it's a sheepskin (or similar) buffing wheel pad. And then around 13.40, what looks like a felt buffing pad. The fact that the edges are darker is ue to the fact that the mink oil(or whatever it is) seeps in more at the edges (more holes and porosity).

Edited by Alisdair

Thanks Alisdair. I was wondering what he might be using as a darkening agent. I'd thought maybe saddle soap but mink oil sounds legit too.

Also, just to reiterate - I don't want to know his exact methods as I respect that they are his secret. I'd just love lto figure out an approximation to get similar results. I have a ton of respect for Tony's work and in now way do I want to impinge upon his secret. 

He uses predyed leather if you burnish the top edge with it slightly damp it will darken the edge.