aroh99

Schmetz needle difference

Can anyone tell me the difference between these needles? I bought them both at the leather machine company. I make 16 oz belts and use 207 thread. One of the needles is really sharp and pointy and the other one is rounded.  Not sure which i should be using for my belts. Any advice?

20181011_174835-1008x756.jpg

Edited by aroh99
Picture

Sharp, if your hand isn’t going to be in the way, is best, I would think.

The 794S denotes "S" point, or spear point, and is for leather.  I believe the 7x3 is a round point for nylon and other textiles.  You COULD use it for leather, but it would produce an unattractive-looking stitch.

49 minutes ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

The 794S denotes "S" point, or spear point, and is for leather.  I believe the 7x3 is a round point for nylon and other textiles.  You COULD use it for leather, but it would produce an unattractive-looking stitch.

Hello Big Sioux Saddlery  the 7x3 is actually the really sharp pointy needle. the 794S is more rounded.  they both seem to work fine, I just wanted to know which needle I should be using since I am sewing through 16 oz of thick leather.  I not to familiar with needles. I have read other topics and have some what of an understand of the needle system. These are the only 2 different needles leather machine company offers for my cobra class 4.  Is there a specific needle I should be using to make my belts?

4 minutes ago, aroh99 said:

Hello Big Sioux Saddlery  the 7x3 is actually the really sharp pointy needle. the 794S is more rounded.  they both seem to work fine, I just wanted to know which needle I should be using since I am sewing through 16 oz of thick leather.  I not to familiar with needles. I have read other topics and have some what of an understand of the needle system. These are the only 2 different needles leather machine company offers for my cobra class 4.  Is there a specific needle I should be using to make my belts?

I would just call Leather Machine Company and ask them about the needles - they sold them to you and they must have had a reason for selecting these needles.  There are many types of needles available - here is a link showing types of points:

https://www.groz-beckert.com/mm/media/en/web/pdf/Point_styles_for_leather_processing.pdf

Gary

The 7x3 will have a very sharp point, but will make a round hole, not at all an attractive stitch for leather.  The S point needle cuts more of a slit in the leather, which makes a better looking stitch in leather.  The S points are not recommended for nylon, because they are more apt to cut the fibers than a sharp round point needle.