Daviddm

Louisiana new guy.

Hello from west central Louisiana. Very new into leather. I've been lurking on here for a while and have seen amazing works of art and skill. It's nice to see the information and knowledge so freely given, very helpful for a new guy like myself. 

I am a welder by trade. Took a boot making class a couple of years and I am just now slowly acquiring tools and equipment. My goal is to make hiking boots, dress shoes and woman's boots with maybe some added tooling. I know this is not a boot and shoe forum but the most of the info on leather is the same and what I have read has already helped me out a lot with that and with the sewing machine info. 

Knife sheaths are also something I want to try.

Does anyone know if the Bossier City Tandy Store basic leather classes are worth the two hour trip for me to take? Do they teach tooling?

Thanks again,

Hey David, I'm up here in Bossier. I'm not knocking the guys at the local Tandy, but I'm not sure it would be worth the 2 hour drive. 

Now, if you are planning to make a decent sized purchase and take a class then it may be. The folks there are real nice. 

I have wanted to do boots and shoes myself, but it seems that information isn't so readily available. Now there is a group called The Honorable Cordwainers something-rether that does have a significant source of information to dig thru. I think you can find them by searching H.C.C.

They are all about preservation of the knowledge. I think I read on there or maybe in a book that the knowledge of lasting has been lost twice already in human history.

That seems even more hard to learn about than shoemaking. And yes there are a few places to buy a pair of lasts. However knowing which ones to buy seems to be difficult to find out. 

If you can make it up this way, I have a few chunks of granite I can send back with you.

Thanks for the info.  I have found the HCC site and go back to it often.  I don't make it up there often but if I do I might take you up on that offer.

No problem. Just let me know.

Hello and welcome @Daviddm.

9 hours ago, Daviddm said:

Hello from west central Louisiana. Very new into leather. I've been lurking on here for a while and have seen amazing works of art and skill. It's nice to see the information and knowledge so freely given, very helpful for a new guy like myself. 

I am a welder by trade. Took a boot making class a couple of years and I am just now slowly acquiring tools and equipment. My goal is to make hiking boots, dress shoes and woman's boots with maybe some added tooling. I know this is not a boot and shoe forum but the most of the info on leather is the same and what I have read has already helped me out a lot with that and with the sewing machine info. 

Knife sheaths are also something I want to try.

Does anyone know if the Bossier City Tandy Store basic leather classes are worth the two hour trip for me to take? Do they teach tooling?

Thanks again,

The classes at b.c. tandy are good, but can be hit or miss.  Tucker is the one that does the classes usually and is pretty knowledgeable and very eager to help, but don't think  they'd be covering boots/shoes, and for knife sheaths you're probably better off using  the 2 hrs practicing or researching/reading here.... i'd be more than happy to trade some leather knowledge for welding lol, that is an art form all it's own.

2 hours ago, koreric75 said:

The classes at b.c. tandy are good, but can be hit or miss.  Tucker is the one that does the classes usually and is pretty knowledgeable and very eager to help, but don't think  they'd be covering boots/shoes, and for knife sheaths you're probably better off using  the 2 hrs practicing or researching/reading here.... i'd be more than happy to trade some leather knowledge for welding lol, that is an art form all it's own.

Didn't think of that,, but yeah I will gladly help out with some welding for some knowledge or maybe some scraps.

I’m thinking my next after 13 project is going to be cowboy boots. :lol: We’ll see how it all turns out.

One of our customers here in Omaha did a great job on the soles of a pair of sandals he made, I’m hoping to ask him for some ideas. I like my Birkenstock rip-offs I got at Sam’s, so I may try and sand the soles into shape.

Fun fun fun!