butchlambert

Need to identify saddle scabbard tooling & history

My best friend's father gave me this saddle scabbard many years ago. I am now trying to get info on this. I believe his family was from the San Antonio-New Braunfels area.

DSC02053.jpg

DSC02056.jpg

DSC02059.jpg

A CW Kenley was in Pleaston, Atascosa county, Texas and was buried in San Antonio.

CW was born in 1873 and died in 1952.

I don't know if he was a leather tooling guy or a rancher. It came to me with a 1895 Winchester in 30-03. Any knowledge would be appreciated.

papawppc@gmail.com

Edited by Northmount
Replaced broken 3rd party links with original photos

I just hope everyone realizes those symbols are Native American symbols and NOT swastikas.  Apparently the nazi symbol faces the other direction.  Good luck finding out about it though.

The broken-cross symbol was a particular favourite of the Native Americans of the South-West area of the US and of the Navajo. afair the Navajo generally gave up using it during and after WW2 because of the symbol's association with the Nazi regime and the general public could not be bothered to differentiate.

btw, the broken-cross features in every ancient culture around the world

IIRC Native American troops during WW1 had a shoulder patch that had a Swastika.

I first learned of the American Indian use of this symbol when my brother got a paint by numbers set of a Indian Princess holding a clay pot with the Swastika painted on the side.

oh dear, another example of lost photos due to not posting directly onto this forum

@butch lambert Hey Butch, please repost your photos here!  This is what happens to 3rd party hosted photos when someone changes permissions, moves, deletes or otherwise screws it up. 

Lesson to everyone, please post your photos on this site.

Tom

Edited by Northmount
typo

Northmount, please note the date of the OP's post. It was over a year ago. I doubt he's still around!

8 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Northmount, please note the date of the OP's post. It was over a year ago. I doubt he's still around!

You are very observant.  I had noted that too, and since it wasn't 5 or 10 years ago, decided it might be worth a try to get him to repost.  Assuming he has maintained his email address, he should get notice of my request, even though he hasn't been back to this site since the day he posted.  Maybe he will follow through, maybe not, but I felt it was worth a try to get this thread fixed so it could retain some of its value for future readers. 

@butch lambert Hey Butch, please help us out.  We would sincerely appreciate it.

Tom

Thanks to you I'm still around. I'm trying to find out what to do with my photos. I have them on Picasa, but can't do anything with them.

I'm getting on in age and will probably offer my walnut leather tooling box by Jay Lynn Gore and my Gore Tool tools.

IMG_1249.jpg

papawppc@gmail.com

I have not been able to email photos either.

Butch Lambert

17 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Yes I am.