Trevor Baret

Singer 132K6

I thought I would mention this machine going off on ebay today - less than seven hours from the time I write -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1946-1-500-Singer-132k6-Sewing-Machine-Leather-Came-Off-WW2-Aircraft-Carrier-/123417296542?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

It appears to be in good condition, with various parts as well.  Everything is there and they say it is in good working order.  You could get it for close to $400.00

They say is came off a WW2 Aircraft Carrier - so a bit of history with the machine.  If I were in USA, I would buy it just because of the history and the pretty reasonable condition - and the fact that it is a good leather machine.

But I am in Australia, where these machines are not common and their prices are high.  For me, the current price of this machine is about $560Au.  Here, there would be a vigorous bidding war to get this one for anything under three times that price...  I don't know what these usually go for in USA, but here, that machine is currently dirt cheap.  Then add the story attached to it, and it is a great buy.

I hope someone here decides to give this machine a new good home.  It deserves to be loved and used.

Declaration of interest...  I have no interest in the sale of this machine.  I do not know the seller, and will receive no royalties when it is sold.  I came across it by chance, and thought what a great background.

Back when I was new to industrial sewing machines and wanted to sew holsters, I was talked into buying a used Singer 132k6. The dealer, from whom I had already bought several lesser machines, told me that this was the last sewing machine I would need to sew thick leather with very heavy thread. As it turned out, nothing could be further from the truth. While the machine could indeed load #346 thread, it skipped stitches and the stitch length varied as the spring loaded outside foot slid hopelessly across the slick top grain leather on finished belts and holsters. Fortunately, I was able to sell it for what I paid for it, which was around $1300 in 1986.

That huge machine was actually built to sew buffing wheels, not holsters. It had an excellent grip on the canvas wheels and easily penetrated the 1/2 inch thick cloth.

45K´s are the heavier machines, they have much more weight on the flywheel so a lot more punch.

The machine was listed at least twice - no one bid - what shame.

The lines of the 132 are such a classic! The catch with this machine is the lack of shipping.  I did contact them when it was first listed and the seller would be interested in shipping it if I provided a custom sized shipping crate and took care of the shipping arrangements on my end.  The crate is no big deal to build or get to them, but there’s a bit of faith involved having someone actually pack the machine when the shipping damages are on me.  Ebay has pretty good buyer protection with respect to shipping damage, so I’m waiting for another 132 the seller will ship or better yet closer to the west coast and I’ll just drive over.  :-)