chrisash

singer patcher on battleship Scharnhorst

Singer Patcher on German Battleship Scharnhorst at 5.44

battle ships were self contained in a lot of ways.

glenn

Constabulary,

You are correct.  It is an Adler.  I can tell by the arm cover.  I was wondering why they would put a Singer on a German battleship.  Good catch.

glenn

In one close-up shot you can plainly see ADLER on the upper body of a patcher.

16 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

Constabulary,

You are correct.  It is an Adler.  I can tell by the arm cover.  I was wondering why they would put a Singer on a German battleship.  Good catch.

glenn

you can also tell by thread regulator on the tip of the arm lever

Well, Singer made sewing machines for the German Wehrmacht too. So a Singer patcher would not be too unusual. The German made Singer Patchers where marked 29D instead od 29K. Here is a war time Singer add saying Singer made special sewing machines for the apparel industry for the Wehrmacht. I think that was because they had a wide range of special sewing machines no one else made back then - just a guess. However just as most manufacturers back them (like Dürkopp and so forth) Singer in Wittenberge also delivered "non sewing machine materials"  to the munitions / armament industry.

singer wehrmacht (2).JPG

There was a long time before 1938 for germany to buy equipment from abroad and it would serve no purpose to throw away usefull equipment just because you were at war

Its nice to see original German film, very little seems to have been made public, but i do remember seeing a film about the bismark in the late 50's whilst on a exchange in germany and it was not the later british film

If you google the Scarnhorst you will see it did not have a very good record with lots of storm damage that caused refit after refit but did sink a few british ships and a aircraft carrier, never thought that storm damage would effect a battleship

Edited by chrisash

I love this video, thanks for sharing.  We used to have old school mechanics who would come in wearing shirt, tie and jacket just like the guys in the video.  They were professionals and dressed like it. 

We have the battleship USS New Jersey close by here, and on tours they have images of their Singer 7-33 machine.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Oddly enough, a day or so after I saw this post, this popped up on youtube.  If you look at about 14:30, you'll see a Landis sole stitcher and shortly after a garment machine, probably a Singer.  Of course, being a carrier there's also a lot of great footage of Viet Nam era jets, and even a few piston powered aircraft that were still in use. (for those of us that are also aviation buffs!)

I meant to post this sooner, but 12 hour workdays don't leave much time for the things we actually want to do!

- Bill