To say that I am sprung on all things leather you would be close to the truth but I am afraid it is much deeper than that. I have enjoyed reading some of the interaction here and have found it entertaining and informative. I am excited to continue and participate and learn. I make the joke that I am the worlds most accomplished leather craft buyer as I have around 50 hides in my workshop of all sizes, types, thicknesses, and finishes, a full compliment of tools, hardware, and accessories, a Toyota fsb325 sewing machine, and am waiting to take delivery of my new Consew P1206RB this Thursday. I do not know how to sew other than my hand stitching that I have used on the 4 heirloom pieces that I have made out of new leather and Denim from my recently deceased girlfriends collection of jeans.

I am really wondering where I can go to find out about conventions involving the trade and industry of Leather.

Tandy Leather stores often put on workshops on Saturdays. They usually employ advanced customers to instruct newbies.

There are leather trade shows a couple times a year, during the spring and summer. The biggest is in Sheridan, Wyoming.

You can get bi-monthly tips and techniques from the Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal. They have information about trade shows and equipment and supplies vendors.

We have a section of the forum called How Do I Do That, and one called Resources, and another named Suppliers. These are excellent places to peruse or ask your own questions.

Finally, this sub-forum is not for general leathercraft questions. It is dedicated to industrial leather sewing machines. If you have questions about your industrial sewing machines, ask them here. Questions about hand or machine sewing techniques, thread and needles belong under the Sewing Leather forum.

We have lots of sub-forums. Explore them and enjoy your new craft!

excellent thank you. I subscribed to the journal and first issue is November. tomorrow I am picking up my new machine . they are going to build it and set it up so when I come in can try it out. going to ask them for a quick tutorial and also going to arrive early to help with the build. 

here is a question about the machine. I try to be someone who is adequately supplied. what items can you suggest adding to my purchase before I leave the store. I know I want more bobbins. also a zipper foot and a foot that is smoother and won't mark my tooled veg-tan while I assemble.

Get left toe and right toe zipper foot sets, welting feet for whatever diameter welts you might want to sew into seats and bags (1/4 inch is average) and spring edge guide feet for 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" from the needle. Buy matching colors of thread in all sizes your machine supports. I usually buy two of each so I can wind a matching color spare bobbin as I sew. Get a quart of oil and a couple of small precision oilers to load up. Get packs of needles to match the thread sizes you buy. I recommend sizes 18, 19, 20, 22 and 23. If you plan to sew mostly leather, get leather point needles. Round points are for cloth and webbing. Thread snips are a must have and are cheap. Get a dozen empty bobbins. Make sure you get a bright flex light. That's all.

now that is awesome. your experience and knowledge is priceless and I appreciate your spirit of sharing

thanks again Mr. Wiz. check

on all that you recommended. I have 7 projects going at once now all friend/customers. I absolutely love my consew machine. I can hardly wait for the show coming up in Prescott. hope to see you there