Rich1

Snap problem

I recently made a biker wallet with line 20 snaps, because line 24 were causing interference with card pocket. That's way customer wanted. He contacted me and said one of snaps fell off. We talked about putting conchology on but I can't find screw with small enough head and have length I need. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Maybe even a different route. Thank you in advance .

It sounds like the snap fell off because the post was not quite set properly.  If you are using a hand setter then you can experience this problem easily if you are new to using them.  If this is the case you want to make sure that you don't pound on the setter hard when trying to set the posts, instead you want to rotate and roll the setter while you are also hitting the head of the setter.  It takes practice but if you don't get the right forming of the post inside the cap/button it won't hold it together.  Also, if you hit the setter too hard and you are just trying to treat the snap like the other styles you will only push the post down through the cap/button and it won't be set at all; it might work for a couple of times but it will pull off.

As far as going at it with a screw, you may be able to find something at a local Tandy store but it will be geared for use with a Concho for sure.

Thanks i may be hitting it to hard. Yes I am using hand setter. I will try lighter hits and turn as I do.

This is the a Concho to ligne 24 snap adapter from Tandy's website, Item #11383-00. I have used them several times. I use a dollop of Loctite.jr

concho-snap-adapter-screws-washers-11383-00-250_250.jpg.eedfd1ca77d89e6db9b664d3b52f3902.jpg

JREESER1 unfortunately that won't work on line 20 which is what is on it. Unfortunately I can't change without tearing whole wallet apart due to how he wanted the card holders. I do thank you though. Snap is so close to card holder that two pockets are not usable if line 24 is on. Learned a lesson, to not let someone change my original design.

I've found that many conchos have slightly different screw threads but generally they are about M3. I've bought some of these [link below] as spares for conchos. Some they fit and some they don't, even ones from the same batch!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M3-3mm-A2-STAINLESS-STEEL-FLANGED-BUTTON-HEAD-SOCKET-FLANGE-SCREWS-BOLTS-BW/121640777933?var=420632488921

Generally for the ones these screws do not screw into its they are touch too small so I screw them in with some two-part epoxy glue in the concho screw thread hole, or with some gap filling superglue gel. They ain't goin nowheres after that!

Next purchase for me is an M3 screw tap

Search thru sellers like the one in the link and you'll find quite a range of M3 screw bolts

Thanks for info fredk. I have a tap but was afraid I might really mess threads up, but if I do I can maybe glue in like you.

Where there is a will there is a way. So I found it these conches are m4. So I went to local hardware and bought some m4 with tapered head. Got my dremel out with small grinding head and went to work reducing diameter of screw head. Got it to fit in both sides of the line 20. Head was little long to snap so I put sanding disk on and reduced it. Now I have to cut to length but that no problem. Hope no one else runs into this problem, but that's one solution maybe not only one.

This is pics of what I finished with.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Nice to see a result

That's a learning experience, but I guess that expanding my knowledge. Thanks for everyone's advice.