JazzBass

The "Slant" to Saddle Stitching (??)

A friend of mine, a great saxophonist was asked, "How can you play so well when you're drunk?"

He said, "I practice that way".

On October 18, 2018 at 9:33 AM, JLSleather said:

Well, if Stohlman wasn't the "best", he certainly was the best known.  And his book about hand stitching shows (and stresses) a straight stitch.  So, experts ....? Hmm..

And, this was sewn with a machine. ↓

DSC00448.jpg

I like the look of those angled stitches and I can see how they would "jazz up" the look on finished items. Straight lines can look proper but to me on some shapes or color combinations (leather / thread) contrasting the "angle" stitch is or could be classy. 

On October 18, 2018 at 9:33 AM, JLSleather said:

Well, if Stohlman wasn't the "best", he certainly was the best known.  And his book about hand stitching shows (and stresses) a straight stitch.  So, experts ....? Hmm..

And, this was sewn with a machine. ↓

DSC00448.jpg

I like the look of those angled stitches and I can see how they would "jazz up" the look on finished items. Straight lines can look proper but to me on some shapes or color combinations (leather / thread) contrasting the "angle" stitch is or could be classy. 

On 10/18/2018 at 3:17 PM, battlemunky said:

Look at page 10 of Stohlman though. slanted holes are "right". He isn't stressing straight stitching at all, unless I'm misunderstanding what we're meaning when we say "stitching".

That page shows STRAIGHT line stitching, with holes made with an awl placed so that the FLAT SIDES are in line with the stitch, NOT the pointed edge running in line with the stitch.  The "angle" he's talking about is rotating the awl so that the "cut" from the awl isn't torn when the STRAIGHT stitch is pulled tight.

On 10/16/2018 at 8:15 PM, ScoobyNewbie said:

Is diamond the same as angled?

Diamond is the shape of the awl. Angled is how that diamond shape is aligned with the other holes when the awl is pushed through the leather. Note the Stohlman book excerpt above.

Jeff