I am just getting into antique leather restoration, etc. and I have a problem. I have a nice "motorcycle" or "western" belt from the 1940s and at some point it lost it's name, which was "FORTUNE" in what would have been yellow brass or chromed brass letters. I have been searching all over the web for alphabet spots but those currently available are not of the right design or size to reproduce the name. Ace Western Belts in Japan appears to reproduce these, but the cost is high and I am not sure the size is right. The original letters were 7/16" tall, or nearly half an inch. Communication with these folks is not easy because of the language barrier. So, does anyone have any letters I could buy that I could use to finish this belt? The photo of the actual belt shows other losses which I have fixed, but so far I cannot get those letters! I am also looking at restoration of this type to be an ongoing effort, so I am also looking for a source of vintage spots and jewels for future projects. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

20180715_213947.jpg

mc belt adv.jpg

I have never seen anything like these letters, but I like them, so I am watching and hoping they are still available.

The Evil Empire (tandy) just discontinued these. They are probably still available in the warehouse. You can get a mgr to 

check the stock and can special order the ones you need if they don't still have them on hand, Here's a link:

alphas

Edited by Studio-N

Hmmm ... no Tandy within 3000kms, so whilst they look good, I will get by without them. I would prefer to see them in front of me before outlaying the bucks to buy a heap of the letters to cover most possibilities.

I came across these letters; 15mm tall approx [about 5/8"]. Not what you are really looking for tho

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/208Pcs-Metal-Letter-Rivets-Studs-Rivet-Buttons-Fastener-for-Leather-Belt-Bag/401613992501

21 hours ago, fredk said:

I came across these letters;

No project in mind at the moment for these letters, I just thought they looked good for belts or monogramming. Price is much better than I thought they would be, but the real-deal would depend on what I can get them for, landed in Australia.

1 minute ago, Rockoboy said:

No project in mind at the moment for these letters, I just thought they looked good for belts or monogramming. Price is much better than I thought they would be, but the real-deal would depend on what I can get them for, landed in Australia.

That was one of several links. One was priced in Aus money and was about 20% cheaper than £, but that one doesn't post to N.I.

4 minutes ago, fredk said:

One was priced in Aus money and was about 20% cheaper than £

Should be about 40 - 50% cheaper. The Aussie dollar is about 54pence to the dollar right now.

Money misunderstanding; I mean, the price is £5.90 for me but the Aus price worked out at about £4.75 - 20 % cheaper

btw; thats for 8 sets of alphabets. At some time you may run short of vowels. The same seller sells individual letters. In one selection you can buy 30 off each of the letters; L O V E   30 x 1 letter = about £1.55. Another selection is F C U K

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30pcs-Metal-Alphabet-Letter-LOVE-Rivet-Spike-Stud-Spot-DIY-Rock-Punk-Accessories/401614477234?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170920101022%26meid%3D9952467bc97847ae8c6b42d26c3143e5%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D11%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D401613992501%26itm%3D401614477234&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109